U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:32 PM

11,449 posts, read 6,440,358 times

Advertisements

Are there any cities you want to visit for just like one specific reason and nothing else?

Valencia - Watch a game at the Mestalla

Barcelona - Visit Camp Nou

Brussels - Art Nouveau buildings

Manchester - See the Old Trafford

Oaxaca - Cuisine

Merida - Cuisine

Arequipa - Cuisine

Atlanta - Cuisine

Houston - Cuisine

Baton Rouge - Cuisine

Birmingham - Cuisine

Mendoza - Cuisine

Dubai - Skyscrapers

Denver -

Quebec - Architecture

San Diego - Beaches

Tela - Beaches

Pasto - Parade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:08 PM

5,488 posts, read 2,872,021 times
I went to Monterey, CA just to see their jellyfish exhibit, which was a special temporary exhibit.

Can't think of any others, but I don't like city trips anyway.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:22 AM

38,169 posts, read 55,994,759 times
My hometown - because it's my hometown
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,227,141 times
Detroit to visit family.

Chicago for shopping or flying out of the airport.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:48 AM

9,889 posts, read 5,069,777 times
NYC for Broadway. I will end up doing other things while I'm there, but my primary reason for going is Broadway.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:00 AM

15,119 posts, read 19,096,096 times
There are WAY better places to visit fir beaches than San Diego. I'd say visit San Diego just for the zoo.

And some if your cuisine cities are pretty much like any other large city when it comes to food (i.e. Houston, Atlanta). I'd add Singapore, Kuala Lampor and Bangkok for cuisine. The food stalls, in particular.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:21 PM

2,131 posts, read 2,918,127 times
I almost always visit a city because of its food and no other reason. That's the reason I went to Seattle and Vancouver in winter a couple of times, when Dungeness Crabs are in season, although their weather is at the most miserable.

Another reason is to attend jazz festivals: April in New Orleans, July in Rotterdam, etc.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:19 PM

11,449 posts, read 6,440,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
There are WAY better places to visit fir beaches than San Diego. I'd say visit San Diego just for the zoo.

And some if your cuisine cities are pretty much like any other large city when it comes to food (i.e. Houston, Atlanta). I'd add Singapore, Kuala Lampor and Bangkok for cuisine. The food stalls, in particular.
Those cities have too much going on, there are like millions of reasons to visit them. Especially Bangkok! Usually the "just for cuisine" list is for smaller towns and cities that are not typically tourist destinations but have amazing local cuisine. Houston seems like a perfect place for culinary turism, since it has creole, southern, texan, and mexican elements, and the food in the airport was amazing so I can only imagine how good it must be in the city. Atlanta excites me because of the soul food there

Old 02-25-2016, 01:23 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,044,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I went to Monterey, CA just to see their jellyfish exhibit, which was a special temporary exhibit.

Can't think of any others, but I don't like city trips anyway.
You wouldn't think jellyfish would be that interesting, but wow! that exhibit was spectacular (maybe partly due to the way the tank was set up.

To answer the question: Bilbao, Spain - Gehry's Guggenheim museum

Old 02-26-2016, 12:06 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,000,834 times
Paris - Louvre Museum

Chicago - Boat tour by Chicago River

Chamonix - Mont Blanc

Jodhpur - Umaid Bhawan Palace

Belo Horizonte - Inhotim

Foz do Iguaçu - Iguaçu Falls

Maan, Jordania - Petra
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel