U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 12:01 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times

Advertisements

Meh, I'm an Asian and I still get stared at in the US, some by adults, some by kids.

As recently as last year when I was in Pensacola, FL: I was standing on calf deep water on Pensacola beach admiring two wild sting rays that swam close to the shore. A couple of kids (10-12 years old maybe?) were standing next to me and were staring at me for quite sometime, so I started chatting with them about the sting rays. They gaped at me when I opened my mouth and one of them blurted out: "Oh, how come you can speak English?". Bwahahaha...!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 12:55 PM

2,593 posts, read 5,286,635 times
In China I am sometimes asked for a photo. Not to TAKE a photo, but to BE IN a photo with a Chinese person. I oblige. I have also sometimes been asked for a better view of blue eyes.

Now if I had blonde or red hair I am sure it would be much more frequent.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:58 PM

1,605 posts, read 1,483,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
In China I am sometimes asked for a photo. Not to TAKE a photo, but to BE IN a photo with a Chinese person. I oblige. I have also sometimes been asked for a better view of blue eyes.

My husband had the same experience in India recently :-)

Old 03-01-2016, 04:00 PM

11,058 posts, read 4,860,550 times
That happened to me there too, especially being a woman in my 20s travelling alone there. I stayed with a host family there who wouldn't let me out of their sight (too dangerous, they said), but even with them, it was obvious I wasn't actually related to them. They were short, dark-skinned Indians, and I'm 1.77m with strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:01 PM

487 posts, read 565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post

My mother is a Ginger and when she went to India, everywhere she went they asked to get a picture taken with her.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:35 PM

8,630 posts, read 19,056,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Meh, I'm an Asian and I still get stared at in the US, some by adults, some by kids.

As recently as last year when I was in Pensacola, FL: I was standing on calf deep water on Pensacola beach admiring two wild sting rays that swam close to the shore. A couple of kids (10-12 years old maybe?) were standing next to me and were staring at me for quite sometime, so I started chatting with them about the sting rays. They gaped at me when I opened my mouth and one of them blurted out: "Oh, how come you can speak English?". Bwahahaha...!!

best thing I've read in a long time!!! I literally laughed right out loud!!!

Old 03-01-2016, 06:01 PM

1,918 posts, read 2,959,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Trav View Post
I have been to many places where I was the only American White Person for miles and no one paid me any mind at all. It's cultural in India that staring is not considered rude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4D9n00_hq8

Yeah, well, that was kinda creepy actually. Crossing India off my list.

SS

Old 03-01-2016, 09:23 PM

8,199 posts, read 6,125,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
OP,

If you transported several Southern Indians to many small towns in the US, don't you think that they would encounter the same?
Rural Americans would probably just take them for blacks with straight hair.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:40 PM

6,766 posts, read 3,857,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
OP,

If you transported several Southern Indians to many small towns in the US, don't you think that they would encounter the same?
No. At least not to to the extent the OP experienced.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 PM

5,887 posts, read 2,737,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

It's the redneck Riviera ! Are you sure they weren't Trump supporters seeking to deport you?

By the way Indians are some of the most sweetest people on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or