U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:55 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times

Advertisements

I was with my friend in India for a couple weeks in 1996, and people came up to my friend occasionally, to either touch her or touch her long-flowing blond hair. I really think it was the long blond hair that triggered it. After awhile, she found it very annoying, and the last couple of days, she stayed her in hotel room.

In China I was with a friend with bristly, blond hair on his arms. I don't know how many younger Chinese kids, if we were sitting on a bench somewhere, would come up and have to touch that hairy arm of his, which is foreign to the Chinese!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,981,012 times
Well, I'm not a blonde, and I've never been to India, but I've caught many East Indians here staring at me, male and female. Many have steady, piercing eyes when they look at you, and I don't know if it's a cultural thing or not but I accepted it a long time ago.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:28 PM

637 posts, read 644,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Being stared at for being a different color or nationality is very rare nowadays. Indians are used to visitors - business people and tourists, same with just about every other country except the extreme isolated vils. Now I've been to some backwaters - India multiple times and multiple locations, southeast asia, Africa, you name it....stared at? Not really.

Not in the least except that touts can identify a westerner from a mile away and think dollar signs. Some of the more ignorant local young men may see a western girl and have other thoughts brought on by Hollywood misconceptions - that's an issue. Another thing is, I think one poster mentioned this, foreign ideas and standards of personal space or privacy are much different than here. They stare - period. They stare at cows, at posters, at trees, at fellow Indians. Staring is not considered rude.

But other than that? - Me thinks much of these posts are paranoid perceptions.

You are quite wrong. You must have limited travel experience.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:01 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Trav View Post
I have been all over the world to some incredibly out of the way places and I have never been stared at by so many people as in India.
It is actually very common to get stared at in America if you are Asian traveling in an all-white working class area. I've seen a couple of Indians walk into a restaurant and everyone sitting inside turned their heads to look.

It is probably as much class-based as it is cultural.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM

12,273 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
You are quite wrong. You must have limited travel experience.
LOL..okay then, thank you for your helpful and informative contribution to the topic.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:18 PM

5,460 posts, read 2,921,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Trav View Post

Anyone else experience this while traveling overseas?
Yes, when I traveled to Egypt. I felt like a Celebrity

Old 03-10-2016, 04:13 PM

11,675 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Next time you venture to a foreign land, do some research on the culture. They weren't being rude...you stuck out like a sore thumb.

Did you really staring them down was going to stop them? That was pretty dumb on your part. You're a guest in their country and you're 'staring them down', in some countries that could be considered a threat.

Be humble when traveling and educate yourself about where you're going and what the culture/customs are.
While I can understand why they do it (hey, they did it to me, too), they were being rude. Trust me, most folks, regardless of where they are from, consider people staring at them rude. Indians are no different.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:43 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I can understand why they do it (hey, they did it to me, too), they were being rude. Trust me, most folks, regardless of where they are from, consider people staring at them rude. Indians are no different.
I guess it depends upon the type of staring, and how it's perceived by the subject of the gaze.

I.e., is the staring hostile, does it continue after you've indicated that it's unwelcome, or is it just subtle or along the lines of friendly curiosity? It isn't necessarily a reason to feel threatened or offended... but I can easily see how it might be that way in some contexts.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:37 PM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Poor people like the one in OP's video are more likely stare at you because they rarely see or interact with foreigners. You are like an alien to them.

Stick to the cosmopolitan places, the upscale hotels and restaurants in India. No one will stare at you there.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:53 PM

1,147 posts, read 3,032,474 times
My wife and I went to Goa, a beach resort on the west coast of India, and we were absolutely ignored. We're both brunets and it's a big tourist town so I've seen our sorts before. Absolutely not a problem.

When I was a youngster I had a business trip with a coworker who was a blond female to Malaysia and that was quite the different experience. I'm 6'5" and the average Malay is about 5'2" for men and 4'10" for women. I was absolutely the superstar - at least outside the capital with a lot of Europeans. Both adults and children would come up to us everywhere asking if I was Larry Bird or some sort of NBA guy and my companion everybody wanting to run their fingers through her "magic hair". It was a real trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or