U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 02:46 PM

437 posts, read 1,047,733 times

Advertisements

I was trying to book through Frontier airlines and they are about $100-$150 then the regular prices airlines. Since I plan to travel and visit places every other weekend, I thought would be nice to save some bucks. But yeah, I do have lot more stuff to fit in personal bag like 2 days worth of clothes, makeup and jewelry apart from electronics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 02:53 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,180,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
I was trying to book through Frontier airlines and they are about $100-$150 then the regular prices airlines. Since I plan to travel and visit places every other weekend, I thought would be nice to save some bucks. But yeah, I do have lot more stuff to fit in personal bag like 2 days worth of clothes, makeup and jewelry apart from electronics.
Layer what you wear on the flight so you have to put less in the bag. Make the top layer something with pockets you can put your makeup in. Wear the jewelry. For a 3 day trip you can easily wear/carry on what you need.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:59 PM

679 posts, read 618,467 times
This is so unfair, how can 300 pound people get to fly with the same amount of carry-ons as a 150 pound person!!?? I mention this as more airlines are Weighing purses/bags to be carried on and limiting them to 11-15 pounds, ugh. I think I will buy cargo pants and 'travel' shirts and put all my heavy (non-metal, non-liquid) stuff in the pockets - hope I can keep my pants from falling down, lol!

Old 03-07-2016, 03:03 PM

437 posts, read 1,047,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
This is so unfair, how can 300 pound people get to fly with the same amount of carry-ons as a 150 pound person!!?? I mention this as more airlines are Weighing purses/bags to be carried on and limiting them to 11-15 pounds, ugh. I think I will buy cargo pants and 'travel' shirts and put all my heavy (non-metal, non-liquid) stuff in the pockets - hope I can keep my pants from falling down, lol!
Lol. I remember one of my neighbors doing this when he travelled abroad for studies and had weight limit on bags. He got cargo pants and jackets with pockets and stuffed it up with food items in it so he could carry more.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 PM

9,826 posts, read 5,033,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I don't know, but since my luggage fits under the seat in front, I never use the overhead compartment and that's what they are charging for.
I wouldn't bank on them not charging for anything that fits under the seat. If their policy has a stated size, then they have the right to charge for anything that exceeds that. There's a chance they might not, but it's just as likely that they would.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Layer what you wear on the flight so you have to put less in the bag. Make the top layer something with pockets you can put your makeup in. Wear the jewelry. For a 3 day trip you can easily wear/carry on what you need.
And all those layers will likely have to come off at security. Not to mention layers in the summer would SUCK!

Old 03-07-2016, 04:35 PM

OP, it looks like Frontier allows 8” tall, 14” wide, and 18” long (including handles, wheels, and straps). That's fairly generous, and to be honest, I could easily the items you're taking in a bag that size. Don't pack heavy clothes like jeans, and don't pack extra shoes. You should have room to spare.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:47 PM

466 posts, read 431,360 times
OP I frequently fly Spirit for long weekends, and use a LeSportSac large weekender bag. I manage to pack clothing for the weekend, jewelry, electronics, etc. without a problem. The bag fits under the seat fine.

Last edited by Gramercy; 03-07-2016 at 05:07 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,073,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
I am finding some cheap tickets online for few destinations in US, but the airline is charging for carry on bags while personal items bag is free.

Since I am planning to travel for 3 days over the weekend, I was wondering if I can carry 2 sets of clothes, some makeup and 1 set of jewelry in the carry on bag along with the electronics like my laptop and phone and chargers.

Am I allowed to carry items other than electronics in my personal item bag especially makeup and jewellery?
Yes, you should easily be able to put enough clothes for 3 days in a small bag. I can easily pack 4 days of clothes in a small backpack. The key is to pack smart...wear layers, as mentioned. Then roll socks and pack socks and underwear inside shoes. If you roll your shirts and pants, they seem to take less room as well.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:03 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,370,726 times
You should ALWAY hand-carry things of value anyway.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or