Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:57 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a Samsonite Lift2 19" for a carry on. They also have b-lite, dura nxt lite, and some other lightweight luggage.

I highly recommend the lightweight Samsonite spinner luggage: 4-wheels with 360 degree spin, sturdy, several colours, and very lightweight.

Does it matter to you if it's hard shell or soft side luggage? The Samsonite Lift2 is available in either.

Hard shell is really indestructible, but it is heavier than the soft luggage. I prefer soft side luggage for a carry on... I usually travel with only a carry on (I can pack for two weeks--easy!). It's a breeze to walk around airports, go on and off the bus, etc. with a lightweight carry on, and if it's soft it's also easier to cram it into small spaces.

The hard shell cases are what I prefer for a checked bag whenever I do include a checked piece of luggage. My hard shell luggage is bright yellow... easy for me to find it on the baggage claim belt, and supposedly brightly coloured luggage is less likely to be stolen. This is what I've read elsewhere, for what it's worth.

Last edited by Ottawa2011; 03-10-2016 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 05:50 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
budget is $200 and wheeled (spinner) and soft case
If you have TJ Maxx or Marshall near you, definitely check them out before buying anywhere else. Their luggage section has brand name collections at deep discount.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:12 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
There is always a trade-off in luggage--usually durability and weight. I think Travelpro is the best mid-tier brand in the business these days. I use the Travelpro MaxLite 4, available in multiple sizes. It is the company's lightweight line of cases. Their Flight Crew series (not "crew", "flight crew"), while heavy, is renowned for its durability.

I'm a light packer, and so a light case is great for me. YMMV. If you are willing to go high-end, then you will find fewer compromises from brands like Tumi, Globe-Trotter, Rimowa, Valextra.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:27 PM

519 posts, read 743,967 times
I'm not sure I need to go high end on the suitcase I may fly maybe 1-2 times a year.. Last year was my first time out of the U.S. I should post a picture what I have now. I would prefer the same size but a little lighter.. I remember going to the airport like 43 lb but coming back at 53 lbs.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:55 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Wheels are far more durable than spinners and a wheeled bag that fits in an airline overhead holds more than a spinner.

I bought a TravelPro Crew 10 22" roll-aboard on ebags.com for sub-$200 as my business travel bag. At some point, I'm going to need a 20" roll-aboard because 22" roll-aboards are now too big for a few of the airlines I use. Air Canada is the one I encounter that just change carry-on bag size.

$186.99 is the price today.
Travelpro 22" Expandable Rollaboard - eBags.com

I have a big soft case wheeled bag and a couple of drop-bottom wheeled duffels for extended trips and ski trips.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Wheels are far more durable than spinners and a wheeled bag that fits in an airline overhead holds more than a spinner.

I bought a TravelPro Crew 10 22" roll-aboard on ebags.com for sub-$200 as my business travel bag. At some point, I'm going to need a 20" roll-aboard because 22" roll-aboards are now too big for a few of the airlines I use. Air Canada is the one I encounter that just change carry-on bag size.

$186.99 is the price today.
Travelpro 22" Expandable Rollaboard - eBags.com

I have a big soft case wheeled bag and a couple of drop-bottom wheeled duffels for extended trips and ski trips.
Yeah but those sizes don't look like they hold a weeks worth of clothes..

Old 03-15-2016, 12:56 AM

11 posts, read 5,441 times
Which type of suitcase you need? You can buy from amazon and ebay. Both are big online store to purchase it.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Yeah but those sizes don't look like they hold a weeks worth of clothes..
Seriously? We go for a month with carry on only. After ten days or so, we do a load of laudry ourselves or drop it off someplace. On some vacations (very casual in warm climates), we've gotten by with washing clothes in the sink and air drying.

This method eliminates the fees for checked bags and the potential loss of checked luggage. (If you've ever had a delayed or lost bag, you'd understand why I stopped checking bags on the front end of vacations and business trips. Returning home, I don't care.)

Old 03-15-2016, 08:38 AM

I'm going to a local place in the Dominican Republic so it's not like it will always be around a washer and dryer.. Having said that I'm looking at the samsonite aspire 25"

Old 03-15-2016, 08:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
I'm going to a local place in the Dominican Republic so it's not like it will always be around a washer and dryer.. Having said that I'm looking at the samsonite aspire 25"
When I travel it's nearly always for at least 2 weeks, with only a 19" carry on. It's do-able. Take as few bulky items with you as you can. Fewer shoes, no denim, etc.. Look for an expandable bag.

A lot of airlines are getting strict about carry on sizes now... so it's a good idea to check out the size limits for the airlines you want to take. Also, if you go with the smaller size carry on, then you'll have more airline options... you won't have to worry about whether or not your carry on meets their size restrictions, because you can be confident that it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel