Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 05:19 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

Traveling broadens one's horizons and changes one's view/s of world. So I see nothing wrong with it. I think most people that travel by choice are curious to see other parts of world and how other people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 05:57 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,444 times
It sounds like you either don't want to travel (and feel like you're supposed to want to) or can't travel, and want to make yourself sound better by denigrating those who do/can travel.

Why not just admit you'd like to and are envious? I certainly am, but then I have made other choices about how to spend my money, and there's nothing wrong with the choices that I have made or that a world traveller has made. Travel is fun, and exciting and interesting and broadens one's mind.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Some people are uncomfortable traveling across the street. Several co-workers would make sure they were back home 2-4 days early so they wouldn't miss work!

I always wondered about the psychology of that!

I travel 50+% of the time, and this entire yr. I am not on a conquest to add countries. I found a place that needed some work done, I have been here 6 weeks... Next stop ? Just need to keep current on my visa, and I could care less about the USA during an election yr. - that is my thought process... Get outta Dodge!

Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
OP you get the "Psychobabble Thread of The Month Award" - Must one really psychoanalyze those that enjoy travel?

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" Freud.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:24 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,710,189 times
I loved traveling alone. I am not a world traveler by any means but I have been to few countries alone and many states. Now that I am married I travel with my husband but I miss my solo traveling days.

The fear, anxiety, stress, planning, hoping nothing goes wrong & you don't get in trouble for being a single female in a new city/country and finally figuring it all out and finding your way thru this new place with limited language gives great joy. I love that feeling. I love when I figure out how to use the train system in Paris or how to sit down in a restaurant in Germany and order the right food with confident.

Traveling is kind of like hiking. There is lot of work in it but reaching the top makes it all worth while & worth repeating again. There is lot of work in traveling but making it in new city & seeing place you never imagined of seeing gives that feeling of worth repeating.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
There are a few places I would like to see in my life time but I don't want to go everywhere (not every single country or as many countries as possible). I would probably be happy going to ten more different countries.
That seems perfectly reasonable.

Quote:
When I hear of people having gone everywhere I consider it but it feels more like pressure and stress than fun and excitement.
Depends, really. Much on you, actually.

Quote:
I'm curious about people who have gone and seen everything.
I've traveled extensively, and know many who have traveled more than I. But, I don't know anyone who has seen everything.

Quote:
Does this make you want to explore more and that something is missing?
Can't speak for anyone other than myself, but, I enjoy exploring, even though I am now and could forever be perfectly happy sitting at home. So, no, I don't think anything is missing.

Quote:
This is probably more of a question for younger people who aren't married yet. I have always imagined traveling a lot with someone I love because that's the best way to do it. I've traveled alone before and it felt extremely empty. I have realized my life may be over before I fall in love so I have been contacting my friends to plan some trips for the future or I may get a dog and bring it with me. I always wondered if I wasn't curious enough to see the world but I think it's more of who I get to travel with. I have been with someone I loved and when we planned a trip I didn't really care where it was. I had some opinions but we could compromise.
I absolutely love traveling with my wife. But, she doesn't do the rugged stuff, so, that I do alone or with my son or with like-minded and like-abled friends.

Quote:
I find a lot of people on dating sites saying they're a world traveler or whatever and they probably think it makes them more exciting.
Or, maybe they just like travel and are looking for someone with a similar like?

Quote:
I have been with someone who did travel the world and while he was fun, his house and soul felt empty. I also felt I had nothing to add to his life because he has seen everything. That has made me wonder enough to start this thread to discuss the psychology behind someone traveling the world on their own. Perhaps this may be better in the Psychology forum? I don't know.
Psychology? Maybe. Maybe not? Travel is fun, if you like it. It isn't, if you don't. Whether you do or don't probably depends on your own personality and abilities and interests.

Simple stuff.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 03-14-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 09:43 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Traveling actually makes you a better person. It helps you become more social, better at conversation, more confident, more adaptable, more adventurous, more easy going, sexier, smarter, less materialistic, and happier. Really, there are certain things I've done while traveling that I never would have done in my normal life. And now that I've seen different cultures and done crazy stuff, it makes me more care free in my normal life.
Travel can be a great education. But, education doesn't make you a better person.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:55 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I loved traveling alone. I am not a world traveler by any means but I have been to few countries alone and many states. Now that I am married I travel with my husband but I miss my solo traveling days.

The fear, anxiety, stress, planning, hoping nothing goes wrong & you don't get in trouble for being a single female in a new city/country and finally figuring it all out and finding your way thru this new place with limited language gives great joy. I love that feeling. I love when I figure out how to use the train system in Paris or how to sit down in a restaurant in Germany and order the right food with confident.

Traveling is kind of like hiking. There is lot of work in it but reaching the top makes it all worth while & worth repeating again. There is lot of work in traveling but making it in new city & seeing place you never imagined of seeing gives that feeling of worth repeating.
I completely agree with all of the above, and especially the bolded portion. That is my kind of travel in a nutshell. Go somewhere, throw yourself into the culture and environment, and figure it out as you go. It's enlightening, satisfying, and a total rush!

Traveling alone is the ultimate experience because you have total freedom to do things exactly the way you want. And it is better for connecting with with locals and other travelers because you don't have a travel companion to fall back on socially. I suppose lonely people will carry their loneliness wherever they go, but friendly people never really travel alone whether they started off with someone or not.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:14 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you travel from the US, a lot of places won't be as comfortable, safe, etc. So many travelers, like me, will quickly realize that they'd rather give up the notion of being able to brag about traveling somewhere exotic, and travel around the US or in otherwise more comfortable or safe countries.

Even my first trip to Mexico involved being pick-pocketed on the train, and ending up in Mexico City trying to get a visa from government workers who all apparently wanted bribes, but I didn't know the system. That was back in 1975, before they were all about tourism. The only thing that saved us, and got me a visa, was the fact that I broke down in hysterics in the government office, crying loudly, after we were about to run out of money, because they kept blowing us off day after day after day.

And, on that trip, I got seriously ill from a shrimp cocktail, that put me in bed for nearly a week.

Does the fact that I traveled to another country make me a better, more special person?

I returned to Mexico back in 2000, and my experience was better, as they want tourists now. But, the town I stayed in, had many ex-patriots hurt or even killed in home invasions.

That's just Mexico. And I didn't even go into the mouse-sized scorpions.

As someone else said, there's plenty to see right here in the USA, where the laws will actually protect you.

The only countries I'd consider visiting now, are those in Europe, where people speak English. Not speaking the language is also more than challenging. And any website or tourist guide that tells you "everyone there speaks English" is out of their minds.

I'd consider England or Australia. Have been to Canada. Not really interested in anywhere else. I don't learn languages easily, and at my age, I'm over trying it again.

And I honestly don't want to listen to anyone tell me how cool they are because they ate monkey brains, etc. The rest of the world is trying to move to the US for many good reasons.

And anyone who travels to countries that hate Americans are absolutely out of their ever-lovin' minds.
What's with all the hate for people who travel? I don't know many people who travel and try to make themselves look cool or think they're a "better, more special" person.

Everyone is different some like to travel, some don't. No reason to pass judgments.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
What's with all the hate for people who travel? I don't know many people who travel and try to make themselves look cool or think they're a "better, more special" person.

Everyone is different some like to travel, some don't. No reason to pass judgments.
The OP basically said she thinks that people who travel are more special. My point was that I don't agree with that. I have no problem with other people who want to travel. But, I don't like arrogant people, including arrogant people who brag about their travels. And I wanted to show the OP that traveling might not be as glamorous as she thinks it will be. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel