Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times

Advertisements

There are a few places I would like to see in my life time but I don't want to go everywhere (not every single country or as many countries as possible). I would probably be happy going to ten more different countries. When I hear of people having gone everywhere I consider it but it feels more like pressure and stress than fun and excitement.

I'm curious about people who have gone and seen everything. Does this make you want to explore more and that something is missing? This is probably more of a question for younger people who aren't married yet. I have always imagined traveling a lot with someone I love because that's the best way to do it. I've traveled alone before and it felt extremely empty. I have realized my life may be over before I fall in love so I have been contacting my friends to plan some trips for the future or I may get a dog and bring it with me. I always wondered if I wasn't curious enough to see the world but I think it's more of who I get to travel with. I have been with someone I loved and when we planned a trip I didn't really care where it was. I had some opinions but we could compromise.

I find a lot of people on dating sites saying they're a world traveler or whatever and they probably think it makes them more exciting. I have been with someone who did travel the world and while he was fun, his house and soul felt empty. I also felt I had nothing to add to his life because he has seen everything. That has made me wonder enough to start this thread to discuss the psychology behind someone traveling the world on their own. Perhaps this may be better in the Psychology forum? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 10:39 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Does there have to be a psychology behind it? What's wrong with just loving to travel? You mentioned not wanting to travel alone, but that's the best way to do it. I travel alone but I'm never alone. For example, I stay in hostels and meet other people...and even hookup with people physically. I also do whatever I want during the day, or I go do stuff with other people from the hostel or whatever.

I've even lived abroad. But I don't want to go to every single country. I only go places that interest me. For example, I haven't been to Asia yet, because it doesn't really interest me. I want to go to Hong Kong, but that's about it. I've spent extended time in Europe, traveled to Central America, and I lived in Australia for over a year.

Psychology has nothing to do with it. Traveling actually makes you a better person. It helps you become more social, better at conversation, more confident, more adaptable, more adventurous, more easy going, sexier, smarter, less materialistic, and happier. Really, there are certain things I've done while traveling that I never would have done in my normal life. And now that I've seen different cultures and done crazy stuff, it makes me more care free in my normal life.

As for the guy you dated, I don't think that describes everyone who travels. Just because someone has seen multiple continents, doesn't make them less relatable IMO. Myself, I am a minimalist at heart...so my apartment/condo is always clean. It doesn't mean my soul is empty, I just like a clean environment.

Like I said, when I travel alone...I'm never alone. Best times of my life.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
The human race started out as nomads ?

Old 03-13-2016, 05:01 PM

382 posts, read 365,451 times
It makes me laugh when people report that have traveled all over the world (and they are from the U.S.A.), but they haven't even traveled their own country! We live in the third biggest country in the world and there is so much to see and do.

I don't see anything bad about wanting to travel in general, as long as it isn't an addiction. It's important not to base you entire self worth on your travels. People who drop everything and travel can run into big problems (i.e. financial, relationship, career, etc.)

Life is good in moderation. If somebody travels every month and has nothing in savings, that's not healthy. However, traveling several times a year (to wherever) and you have money in the bank, for retirement, etc. is fine.

Now, if your retired and well off. . . . go ahead and travel whenever and wherever.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
It is generally as simple as the desire to explore and experience locations one did not grow up around, there really is no *psychology* to it and no need to over analyze the non issue.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:59 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
It makes me laugh when people report that have traveled all over the world (and they are from the U.S.A.), but they haven't even traveled their own country! We live in the third biggest country in the world and there is so much to see and do.

I don't see anything bad about wanting to travel in general, as long as it isn't an addiction. It's important not to base you entire self worth on your travels. People who drop everything and travel can run into big problems (i.e. financial, relationship, career, etc.)

Life is good in moderation. If somebody travels every month and has nothing in savings, that's not healthy. However, traveling several times a year (to wherever) and you have money in the bank, for retirement, etc. is fine.

Now, if your retired and well off. . . . go ahead and travel whenever and wherever.
The USA is in its infantcy compared to places like Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. ( to name a few).
Traveling to places such as these really can give one a sense of history and gives some insight on our ( most of us) origins. Once you visit some of these places you'll agree that the as wonderful as the US is.. History wise it doesn't hold a candle to some of these ancient civilizations... Romans , Greeks, Asians, Egyptions, etc.
IMHO if one hasn't experienced the architecture, culture, and customs of other people's and countries you are really missing out.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:08 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
No psychology, just curiosity. I think people who get introduced to real travel, usually want to travel more, go to different places, enjoy new experiences, learn about cultures, customs, food, languages, history, interact with locals, make friends, appreciate the glory of nature...
Travel will simply make them a more well-rounded human being, put their own lives in a different perspective, broaden their horizons. It expands their awareness and introduces them to greater diversity. One can get a ton of personal growth from the travels. Travel is just very important for personal development.

There are three main types of travelers: the ones who to go to all-inclusive beach resorts, five-star hotels, or luxury cruises, where everyone speaks English, and eat Americanized food. (They find everything else unsafe, unsanitary and not up their standards.) Those who sit on some tropical beach and sip pina colada. Those who want comfort close to home, and are afraid to step out of their comfort zone, or try to communicate without knowing the language. Those are tourists and vacationers, not real travelers. Their trips are nothing more than checklist tourism. A trip that involves pool attendants and a concierge is not a cultural experience.

And there are those who are genuinely curious, adventurous. For them traveling means diverting from the beaten path, engaging with locals, and exploring an area as one of a kind, straying from tourist traps and sites and instead, searching for the more elusive history of a country and its people. Traveling means attempting to blend in and wanting to leave as an altered and more educated person.
The direct interaction and connections they make with people from other cultures as well as experiencing special destinations that the tourist masses will never see, make such travel incredibly worthwhile.

And there are ... Google map travelers. Those usually have the most to say, whatever they learned from the... Internet: repeating the stereotypes, other people opinion, and knowing everything better. Some actually believe that their travel curiosity has been satisfied, because they saw "all the places" on the Google maps.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
If you travel from the US, a lot of places won't be as comfortable, safe, etc. So many travelers, like me, will quickly realize that they'd rather give up the notion of being able to brag about traveling somewhere exotic, and travel around the US or in otherwise more comfortable or safe countries.

Even my first trip to Mexico involved being pick-pocketed on the train, and ending up in Mexico City trying to get a visa from government workers who all apparently wanted bribes, but I didn't know the system. That was back in 1975, before they were all about tourism. The only thing that saved us, and got me a visa, was the fact that I broke down in hysterics in the government office, crying loudly, after we were about to run out of money, because they kept blowing us off day after day after day.

And, on that trip, I got seriously ill from a shrimp cocktail, that put me in bed for nearly a week.

Does the fact that I traveled to another country make me a better, more special person?

I returned to Mexico back in 2000, and my experience was better, as they want tourists now. But, the town I stayed in, had many ex-patriots hurt or even killed in home invasions.

That's just Mexico. And I didn't even go into the mouse-sized scorpions.

As someone else said, there's plenty to see right here in the USA, where the laws will actually protect you.

The only countries I'd consider visiting now, are those in Europe, where people speak English. Not speaking the language is also more than challenging. And any website or tourist guide that tells you "everyone there speaks English" is out of their minds.

I'd consider England or Australia. Have been to Canada. Not really interested in anywhere else. I don't learn languages easily, and at my age, I'm over trying it again.

And I honestly don't want to listen to anyone tell me how cool they are because they ate monkey brains, etc. The rest of the world is trying to move to the US for many good reasons.

And anyone who travels to countries that hate Americans are absolutely out of their ever-lovin' minds.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

And there are ... Google map travelers. Those usually have the most to say, whatever they learned from the... Internet: repeating the stereotypes, other people opinion, and knowing everything better. Some actually believe that their travel curiosity has been satisfied, because they saw "all the places" on the Google maps.
!!! Is that seriously a thing!? LOL

Old 03-14-2016, 01:04 AM

327 posts, read 568,865 times
i have been to 82 countries right now, and will probably stop at about 100.

Why? Well to see places before they're gone (or changed beyond recognition) is one big reason. Another is I prefer the exotic and different to the routine and mundane, i.e., everyday life in my neighborhood where each day is like groundhog day.

I don't visit any dating sites but can seriously and honestly say that the small sorority/fraternity of true "world travelers" don't care a bit what anyone thinks of their travel habit. We do it because we want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel