U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:44 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times

Advertisements

San Diego (La Jolla in particular). However, it isn't as hot there as LA.

How about a beach on the Florida panhandle? Water would be warmer than in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 12:01 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,191,882 times
Fort Lauderdale

Old 03-17-2016, 01:12 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,910,211 times
South Florida for April but not the Panhandle / Northern FL. The water and temperature will still be cold in the FL Panhandle.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:21 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,968,461 times
I suggest the U.S Virgin Islands.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:14 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I suggest the U.S Virgin Islands.
Agreed. If you're looking to do some snorkeling the options in the USVI are far and away much better than anything you'll find in the US mainland. Flights should be under your budget and you'll be guaranteed great weather!

Old 03-19-2016, 11:50 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
Hi all,

I'm a public accountant trying to survive busy season

I would like to take a beach vacation in late April - anywhere from 3 to 7 days, preferably in the U.S. I'll be flying from Boston. No firm budget but I'd like to keep the flight under $800 round trip and I'd like to spend less than $150 per night on a hotel. I just want to lounge on the beach, maybe go snorkeling, get a couple of massages, and I'm a nature lover so nearby hiking/sightseeing would be great. No kids, not worried about nightlife or shopping.

I was thinking California - I've always wanted to see Big Sur but I think it might be too cool in April. I'm really wide open to suggestions.
Places like Big Sur are lovely and well worth the trip if you want scenery, but if you are looking for a nice, beach and really nice weather I would suggest Florida. Even So. CA. beaches can still be chilly in April. I was raised there and remember many times we tried to do the beach thing in April. By mid May the weather is delightful after the fog burns off. The water temps are never as warm in Calif as on the Atlantic coast. Late April is always a good time to visit Florida. It is the between season, long after the college spring breakers arrive. They are there right now. By late April they are all, throughout the country getting ready for final exams and it way before the summer, family season starts.

I know some on here are saying the US Virgin Islands, etc. Of course that is great idea but the cost most likely would not be in your budget. Just airfare alone would be on the high end.

Last edited by nmnita; 03-19-2016 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-19-2016, 11:54 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
South Florida for April but not the Panhandle / Northern FL. The water and temperature will still be cold in the FL Panhandle.
I meant to mention the same thing; stay away from the panhandle til late May. As well as Florida gulf and the southern, I would second thought, as some have said: So Padre, but it isn't as pretty as Florida or as easy to fly into. (cost wise)

Old 03-19-2016, 02:41 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I meant to mention the same thing; stay away from the panhandle til late May. As well as Florida gulf and the southern, I would second thought, as some have said: So Padre, but it isn't as pretty as Florida or as easy to fly into. (cost wise)

That is accurate. Flights into Harlingen and Corpus Christi are generally not very inexpensive and generally require a stop in either Houston or Dallas. Florida is ALWAYS on sale, especially if you are willing to do the "nearby" airport approach.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:01 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,904,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
Hi all,

I'm a public accountant trying to survive busy season

I would like to take a beach vacation in late April - anywhere from 3 to 7 days, preferably in the U.S. I'll be flying from Boston. No firm budget but I'd like to keep the flight under $800 round trip and I'd like to spend less than $150 per night on a hotel. I just want to lounge on the beach, maybe go snorkeling, get a couple of massages, and I'm a nature lover so nearby hiking/sightseeing would be great. No kids, not worried about nightlife or shopping.

I was thinking California - I've always wanted to see Big Sur but I think it might be too cool in April. I'm really wide open to suggestions.
Weather of course is unpredictable, but I once took a flight to Monterey and traveled to Big Sur during my stay. I thought it was very cold in late Sept which is historically a warmer month than April. However, it depends what you mean by "too cool." The air temp will probably be around 60-65 and the water temperature will be in the 50s.

I've been all over FL, and April is usually very nice. If you want warm air temperatures and clear, warm water, then I suggest staying in the Keys. The beaches in the Keys aren't as nice as they are in other sections of FL, but there's a lot to do and the rates usually drop after April 15. My pick would be Key West, since it has a town where you can walk around, listen to music and enjoy outside dining. There are snorkeling tours, but you can also drive 30 minutes to Bahia Honda State Park where the water is crystal clear and the beach is sandy and clean.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:55 AM

3,969 posts, read 1,695,274 times
The Keys might be nice as would Captiva/Sanibel or Marco Island. The Atlantic side is still going to be a little too cool for swimming outside of south Florida but the gulf coast will probably be fairly warm by that time. The Keys would probably be your best option if you want to go snorkeling since there are a lot of reef snorkel tours. You can also go out to the Dry Tortugas, which while expensive is supposed to be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel