U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:36 AM

962 posts, read 3,497,992 times

Advertisements

Hi, Iím looking for suggestions for an extended family trip we are doing in mid-July to Europe (dates are fixed but countries are open).

Some details:

- We will have our 2 year old with us. A 5 year old will also be in the group.
- Would prefer somewhere thatís not crazy hot in July.
- Wife and I can only go for a week; rest of the group is going for 2 weeks.
- Ruling out Paris, London, Italy as weíve been there. Rest of group may go there that 2nd week.
- Flying out of Atlanta so we have a lot of flight options. Cheapest non-stop I see is to Brussels. Madrid and Frankfurt also have reasonable flight prices for one-stop.

Since wife and I are only going for 1 week, rest of group is asking where we would want to go during our limited days. Any suggestions for possibly 2 nearby cities in a one week span?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:49 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Again, I recommend Portugal. Great value, tons to see.

You have been to Paris, but what about the midi Pyrenees/Dordogne area? France is far bigger than just its capital. You can easily spend a wonderful week in Provence too.

If you are only interested in cities, there are so many options in the summer also. Vienna and Prague? (although the latter will be like a zoo in July). Munich (and nearby areas) and Salzburg? Ireland in the summer is a great option too.

Brussels, Madrid and Frankfurt are all kind of dull.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:18 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,312,423 times
Big city or country villages? Willing to rent a car? What sort of accommodation? You leave a lot of things open.

For ease of access, a very "soft landing" in terms of getting around and language, I'd look at Amsterdam. Lots to see - museums, parks, day trips to Haarlem or Delft... Everybody speaks English, and it's a quiet big city - more bikes than cars in the center.

Second place, Edinburgh. Marvelous place and you're pretty close to some terrific countryside.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 PM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
Fly into Amsterdam, take the train to Berlin, or fly into FRA and be between them both.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the info. This would be a big city trip.

I like the Amsterdam suggestion. My boss grew up in Eastern Europe and says Amsterdam was his favorite city in Europe. What other city would combine well for an Amsterdam trip? Brussels?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Copenhagen seems to be scaled well for families with small children. Summer in the Alps is also generally pretty pleasant and the Alps resorts tend to be pretty geared toward family groups- Munich then a few day trip southward?

Old 03-16-2016, 01:57 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Thanks for the info. This would be a big city trip.

I like the Amsterdam suggestion. My boss grew up in Eastern Europe and says Amsterdam was his favorite city in Europe. What other city would combine well for an Amsterdam trip? Brussels?

as to Brussels: Brussels Most Boring City in Europe - Bloomberg Business

Yup, Brussels is Kinda Boring | Seek New Travel

Of course in the end it is your money and decision.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
as to Brussels: Brussels Most Boring City in Europe - Bloomberg Business

Yup, Brussels is Kinda Boring | Seek New Travel

Of course in the end it is your money and decision.
Wow that doesn't sound good.
What city would pair well with Amsterdam for a one week trip?

Old 03-16-2016, 02:40 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,312,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
What other city would combine well for an Amsterdam trip? Brussels?
Meh. If you don't want to go back to Paris, then maybe Berlin (train, 6 hrs) or fly to Dublin, Edinburgh or Copenhagen, all ~$100 - $150. Buy your transatlantic ticket as an open-jaw, ATL-AMS//DUB-ATL for example.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 PM

9,190 posts, read 8,287,258 times
I was also going to suggest Amsterdam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or