Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:49 AM

7,776 posts, read 10,117,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I would love to see Havana in all it's urban decay shabbiness before it gets rebuilt into some cosmopolitan city .
Not looking for tropical beaches and resorts, can find them all over Caribbean.
I agree. I wouldn't be going for resorts, for beaches, or cosmopolitan amenities. I'd be going for the anthropological experience. A few of my friends have been and I've been quite impressed by the photos and anecdotes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 10:40 AM

16,617 posts, read 17,373,747 times
Thanks for all the comments.

I'm looking forward to seeing Havana next January, and as was described earlier, I'll be interested to see this 'time warp' of a place.

We'll also be cruising the small islands of Cuba in a large schooner which should be interesting.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 28,663,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Thanks for all the comments.

I'm looking forward to seeing Havana next January, and as was described earlier, I'll be interested to see this 'time warp' of a place.

We'll also be cruising the small islands of Cuba in a large schooner which should be interesting.
Very cool and so very jealous....hopefully you will post about

Old 03-21-2016, 10:53 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,166,587 times
I lived and worked in Miami. I've already had the Cuban experience.

Raoul and Fidel are both ruthless b-------. Maybe after both of them are dead I would consider a visit.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:56 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,585,349 times
I can't wait to go. As a history buff I'd love to go on a historic tour. And of course take in the culture. I can't see the reason to avoid a place because of politics when we do business with all sorts of tyrants and oligarchs all over the world.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,287,003 times
I'd definitely have to do some research on opinions from recent tourists. I think the perception of Cuba has been increasingly romanticized over the years simply because of the mystery involved.

My guess is that it's very "second world" and would be much more of an adventure type vacation - certainly not "luxury" because they likely won't have good infrastructure for some years to come. I guess if your expectations are right it might be fun.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 PM

13,384 posts, read 28,663,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I can't wait to go. As a history buff I'd love to go on a historic tour. And of course take in the culture. I can't see the reason to avoid a place because of politics when we do business with all sorts of tyrants and oligarchs all over the world.
Exactly!!! Still have loony people going to North Korea and imo Cuba would be much safer.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:58 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,145,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'd definitely have to do some research on opinions from recent tourists. I think the perception of Cuba has been increasingly romanticized over the years simply because of the mystery involved.

My guess is that it's very "second world" and would be much more of an adventure type vacation - certainly not "luxury" because they likely won't have good infrastructure for some years to come. I guess if your expectations are right it might be fun.
A co-workers wife went on one of those trips about 3 weeks ago. She said it was very third world, and nowhere near ready for heavy tourism. Can't drink the water, can't say Fidel's name, can take pictures but cannot post them until after you've left the country. Buildings that would be bulldozed here are actually housing. I'm sure its in fine shape for Europeans and Canadians but I'm going to wait a year or two after the embargo has been lifted to go.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:04 PM

61,430 posts, read 86,526,431 times
Yes! very much so! I was already checking the net, and inquiring about a private trip.
I would not mind to visit North Korea either.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,083,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
With the current thawing in relations between the two Countries, would folks from the US be inclined to visit?

This is a travel, not a political question.
I'd be interested.

I've heard Cuba has some nice beaches, excellent cuisine and a lot of history and culture.

Plus, it's only 90 miles from Miami so I wouldn't mind an extended weekend visit just to check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel