U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:11 PM

37,995 posts, read 55,769,955 times

Advertisements

However - Zika virus already made to Cuba, so .... no, thank you. Not till things normalize.

Tourist travel to Cuba is not yet authorized by current U.S. law. There are however, twelve categories of people who may visit Cuba without incurring a violation of the travel restrictions.
In all 12 existing categories of authorized travel, travel previously authorized by specific license will be authorized by general license, subject to appropriate conditions. This means that individuals who meet the conditions laid out in the regulations will not need to apply for a license to travel to Cuba.
http://havana.usembassy.gov/travelling_cuba.html

http://insightcuba.com/ <<< organized tours. Pretty $$$ right now.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 04:25 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
I've been a half dozen times, but none since we moved to the States.

It's great. There's amazing resorts in Varadero, which is really just like a Cuban Cancun. It had changed a lot from the mid-90's when I first went, until lately. Increased tourism has really sparked the capitalistic spirit of some Cubans. Probably not in entirely good ways either.

I'll miss it once all the Americans can go unfettered. It was great to go to a place with no fast food, no coke, no American brands everywhere. It's one of the few places on earth where that was the case. Hell even the Sphinx looks across at a KFC now.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:47 PM

315 posts, read 206,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes! very much so! I was already checking the net, and inquiring about a private trip. I would not mind to visit North Korea either.
If you go to North Korea, can I have your stuff?

As to Cuba, I'd go (for the classic cars if nothing else!) I'd rather see it before it got touristy than after. But it's not a high priority, there are lots of places I haven't been yet.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,886 times
I'd like to eventually bum around Cuba for awhile. I'm Canadian, so it's not even a problem to begin with. Everyone and their mom (in Ontario) has been to Cuba. It's cheap, not too far away, and you can go on a package resort-type thing for less than a grand if you time it right.

The advantage to Cuba over other Caribbean destinations is the history and emphasis on the arts, probably. Not to mention you get a glimpse of arguably one of the most far-removed societies from any other on Earth. And you can't even use the excuse of safety with Cuba. Havana might be the safest city in this hemisphere.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:59 PM

363 posts, read 418,790 times
We almost went last year. My husband had a conference in Florida and a group of attendees planned a trip. Unfortunately, we’ve had too many expenses and couldn’t swing it. I’d like to go before the first McDonald’s opens its doors in Havana.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:14 PM

2,169 posts, read 4,196,906 times
My husband and I went in January and loved it. We went with a tour (Cuba Educational Tours / Authentic Cuba out of Vancouver) and found it to be very well run and flexible.

The hotels we stayed at were fine (not amazing, but fine), and food varied (hotel food was not great, but food taken in paladares/restaurants and in street settings was very tasty. Pork is the thing to get.), but the trip was worth it for so many other (and more important) things: visits to historic centers/sites in Havana, Trinidad, etc.; visits to coffee farms, urban agriculture facilities, etc.; visits to cultural sites such as Hemingway's Finca Vigía; glimpses of the countryside and urban spaces, including modern propaganda culture.

The tourist infrastructure in Cuba is generally weak, though, and even tourist destinations (such as Havana and resorts such as Varadero) have limited facilities, so if you want a five-star Caribbean beachside stay with all of the comforts of home, you may be better off going to another island. But if you want to learn more about an island with a truly interesting history (something that many Caribbean islands don't have in much depth), mix of races/ethnicities, Spanish colonial legacy, very interesting birds, plants, and other flora/fauna, Cuba should be on your list. We're glad we went now, because changes are probably afoot. we wanted to see Cuba before Starbucks and McDonalds take over.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:02 PM

4,696 posts, read 2,546,087 times
I hate cigar odor so much that I think I'll pass....until people report that it's not prevalent all over the streets and is barred in bars and restaurants.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 AM

9,776 posts, read 14,953,131 times
I worked in Canada for 7 years. A lot of Canadians go to Cuba for sex. It's cheaper than going to Thailand. When I first heard about this I was astonished, but it is true. When a nation is as impoverished as Cuba you can buy anything.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:13 AM

71,961 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I've heard mixed reviews of Cuba for travel for those that go (Europeans, Canadians) - one is that it just isn't up to western travel standards - bad food, bugs in the rooms, uncomfortable. Others say it isn't a problem and/or it doesn't bother them. Another is the reputation it has for creepy European sex tourism (taking advantage of the poverty - I think however that is mostly stamped out).

There are a lot of tropical carribbean islands out there, with lots of excellent resorts to choose from, besides the "forbidden fruit" nature of Cuba I don't see what it has going for it in comparison to the competition.
my thoughts pretty much. Apparently it is a beautiful island, but there are a lot of other wonderful Caribbean Islands. I think the only way I would consider going there would be on a cruise ship if it had Cuba as one of its ports. We work too hard for our money to spend it in Cuba.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:12 AM

6,313 posts, read 3,576,034 times
I'm dying to go. Would like to see the old haunts of Hemmingway and the stars, soak up all of that Cuban history and architecture and eat some of that good authentic Cubano food.

This needs to be on the top of the list before the foreign developers get in there and lay waste for the Disneyland generation of travelers. Already the revisionists are spinning. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or