U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2016, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,684 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Reputation: 11527

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
you just have to look up the lounges who participate and food(usually snackish vs full meals) beer/cocktails, wifi is typical. The centurion lounge at Dfw is cover by the platinum card and offered real meals, showers, wifi, full bar, massage and manicures for free
Great, thanks! I'm going to use it at DFW, so that's great to hear (they have it at LGA, which is where I'm departing from, but they will be closed when I get to the airport).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2016, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,684 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Reputation: 11527
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I've used the centurion lounge (Amex) at Laguardia and DFW. It's free!
Thanks! I want to use the one at LGA on my upcoming trip, but it will be closed when I'm at the airport. I'll be using the DFW lounge, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 06:51 AM
 
Location: NoVa
2,126 posts, read 2,910,697 times
Reputation: 2929
Some airports will have non-airline affiliated VIP or business lounge for which you can buy a day pass to get in, usually from $40 or up. If you have a long layover, it might be worth it to use the shower facility. Or you can take a day trip out and do sightseeing instead (only make sense if you have 6 hours layover or up).

To use those airlines affiliated lounges, you have to fly business or first, or be a premium member. Some are better than others.

Google the airport where you'll have your layover and the website will tell you what kind of lounge they have onsite.

I remember JAL's business lounge was good, equipped with sleeping beds, massage area, and shower with premium toiletries. And of course, the famous hands free Japanese toilets, complete with heated seat and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 08:57 AM
 
163 posts, read 111,831 times
Reputation: 187
Just to clarify, American Express Centurion Lounges are complimentary for global Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. Regular American Express card members can visit for US$50/day, "space permitting" (which it wasn't during my weather-induced layover in San Francisco). The annual fee for a Platinum Card is $450.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,661 posts, read 9,713,728 times
Reputation: 12210
I have since done some research on this and here is what is available at FRA.

LuxxLounge - Business not as usual

Willkommen - Skylounge Frankfurt

They are both available for a fee to anybody. Judging from the pictures, Skylounge seems to be nicer. One passage in the luxxlounge description crossed it off my list, especially in light of what happened in Brussels today.

"Due to our location before the security area, passengers and their guests can access the lounge at any time without having to have a boarding pass."

Not the place I want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,684 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Reputation: 11527
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I have since done some research on this and here is what is available at FRA.

LuxxLounge - Business not as usual

Willkommen - Skylounge Frankfurt

They are both available for a fee to anybody. Judging from the pictures, Skylounge seems to be nicer. One passage in the luxxlounge description crossed it off my list, especially in light of what happened in Brussels today.

"Due to our location before the security area, passengers and their guests can access the lounge at any time without having to have a boarding pass."

Not the place I want to be.
I agree. After further reading, I think that the LGA Centurion Lounge is before security, too, I'm not upset that they'll be closed when I get to the airport. Granted, the odds are overwhelmingly good that I'd be OK, but I try to be in the unsecured part of airports for as little time as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,684 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Reputation: 11527
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBob View Post
Just to clarify, American Express Centurion Lounges are complimentary for global Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members only. Regular American Express card members can visit for US$50/day, "space permitting" (which it wasn't during my weather-induced layover in San Francisco). The annual fee for a Platinum Card is $450.
As a service member, I have my annual fee waived every year. Otherwise, I would refuse to pay that amount of money to use the card as I don't travel enough to justify the expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,661 posts, read 9,713,728 times
Reputation: 12210
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. After further reading, I think that the LGA Centurion Lounge is before security, too, I'm not upset that they'll be closed when I get to the airport. Granted, the odds are overwhelmingly good that I'd be OK, but I try to be in the unsecured part of airports for as little time as I can.
Highlighting that you can use the lounge without having a boarding pass just shows how out of touch they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,126 posts, read 17,137,876 times
Reputation: 9980
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Highlighting that you can use the lounge without having a boarding pass just shows how out of touch they are.
Its Pre-Security So anyone can get in.

But then Being outside Security mean you can't hang out in the club waiting for your flight then go to the gate a few minutes before boarding. You still have to clear security plan for the security line wait, then stand around the gate and wait to board.

In this day/time a pre-security Club is almost worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 12:33 PM
 
5,911 posts, read 6,714,947 times
Reputation: 15254
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I have Priority Pass lounge access via my Amex Platinum Card.


Works quite nicely.


The card is also good if you are traveling with children and wish to stay in your hotel until a late afternoon flight. Very nice if you are in the Caribbean, for example, where the kids can play/swim until plane time, use the room for a quick change, and then head out to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top