U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 02:33 PM

356 posts, read 237,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Specifically I am talking about flying Lufthansa into Frankfurt where we have a long lay over. I looked up what Lufthansa has but it looks like you need to fly First Class or be some kind of a member. Is there a way to just pay for one day and use their facilities? How about other airlines? Does the airport itself has some sort of club facility?
You can always call the airline and find out Clubs are nice if you have a long layover, even if you buy a pass, it can really be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 03:40 PM

14,248 posts, read 44,946,726 times
Certain Amex cards associated with Delta allow you to purchase a day pass for $25 or $29, I think. IIRC the regular price for a day pass is $50. I have one of these Amex cards, hd some long layovers during recent travel, it was really worth it to me. Between the discounted Sky Club entry and the one free checked bag, I have got my money's worth out of the $100 annual fee.

Delta Sky Club lounges in my experience have been quite nice, good snacks and booze. I have not seen any ill-behaved children in them. There were a few kids wandering around, but they were quiet and well-behaved, didn't bother me in the least. While of course the security of one's personal gear is his own responsibility, I feel OK leaving my bag at my table when going to the head, etc. at the Sky Club. The general quality of people in there is such that you don't need to worry about petty thievery, or not much anyway. I have never had a problem and I don't know anyone who has. The Atlanta Sky Club does have showers, only a few do. As noted, if one wants to buy an annual pass, they are available. I fly infrequently anymore, so I don't make Medallion status, nor am I in an airport often enough to make a year's pass worthwhile, to me. Your mileage may vary.

Obviously, one has to use some discretion as to how much they drink when they will have to drive a car on arrival.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 PM

619 posts, read 366,770 times
Depending on how long your layover is, you might look into getting a hotel room. If I have a layover that is over six hours, I usually head into the nearest city for a quick look- see. Even if all I can do is walk around for an hour, see one or two tourist attractions and get a cuppa coffee, it's fun

Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 AM

14,676 posts, read 9,733,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
Depending on how long your layover is, you might look into getting a hotel room. If I have a layover that is over six hours, I usually head into the nearest city for a quick look- see. Even if all I can do is walk around for an hour, see one or two tourist attractions and get a cuppa coffee, it's fun
I have done that in Frankfurt. FRA is only a 20 minute ride to Hauptbahnhof. I can still taste the Frankfurter I had there, and I don't remember if it was breakfast or lunch. There is not much outside the station so I could not use all my layover time. Beats hanging around the airport.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:07 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,901,970 times
I get pass at United through Chase United CC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or