U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:51 PM

2,978 posts, read 2,704,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit42 View Post
My husband and I are supposed to go to Italy in three weeks and the media keeps reporting about attacks being planned all over Europe. Would you still take your trip after what happened today? I've been excited about this for so long, but it's scary to think about what's going on in Europe right now. I know it could happen anywhere, but you have to be cautious. They're warning people to avoid all crowded areas, which I imagine is pretty hard to do when you're touring Rome or Florence.

Go and enjoy yourself. Stay home if you are too nervous.

After the death of my mother, my father wanted to go to Italy again with his university, but didn't want to go alone. At my suggestion, he asked my aunt, who had never been, even though both of her parents were born there. He reserved their places for the trip. Then came the 1986 muslim terrorist attacks with machine guns and grenades in both the Rome and Vienna airports killing 20 people and injuring more than 100. My aunt immediately backed out, and my father lost several thousand dollars in reservation money.

Even though my aunt lived a long rich life to almost 100 years old and travelled the US extensively, she never did get to Italy, and I can't help but think how she would have really enjoyed it.

So like I said, go and enjoy yourself. If you are too nervous and are going to worry yourselves sick, stay home.

And when you go into the voting booth this fall, you might want to consider voting for a politician who is willing to deal with such problems, instead of turning their back on such problems as so many of our politicians have done over the years.

Last edited by james777; 03-23-2016 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:51 PM

263 posts, read 183,087 times
Quote:
My husband and I are supposed to go to Italy in three weeks and the media keeps reporting about attacks being planned all over Europe. Would you still take your trip after what happened today? I've been excited about this for so long, but it's scary to think about what's going on in Europe right now. I know it could happen anywhere, but you have to be cautious. They're warning people to avoid all crowded areas, which I imagine is pretty hard to do when you're touring Rome or Florence.
Yes, I would still go.

But, you are also getting this answer from someone who has flown more than once on 9-11 and who last took a trip to Europe during a world wide terror alert. I can honestly say if I had a trip in 3 weeks planned, I would never consider cancelling.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Security will be tighter than ever for at least a month or two. You can't live your life worrying about a random act. Statistically speaking Europe has less violent crime than the US.

Go, have fun, eat some chocolate, don't give it a second thought.
Absolutely. More people died of gun violence in this country over the last year than in attacks in Western Europe.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Personally it wouldn't stop me. Wife and I returned from 6 weeks in Spain about a week ago and did not feel uneasy anywhere for our safety. I wouldn't go to Belgium or Paris though.
I would. There is, honestly, no more danger there than anywhere else.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I booked tickets to Europe yesterday. As the post immediately above mine illustrates, there are other risks that are far more relevant.
We are planning a trip to Cuba in September. That HAS to be more dangerous than Europe.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:21 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,183,188 times
I would leave for Belgium right now if I could. I was in Brussels a few years ago and loved the country. I would not let the ISIS idiots deter me for a second.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,050,683 times
If you don't go, they win.

Go. Enjoy.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 PM

56,053 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
I'm still going to go. I love Europe and have been every year for the last three years. However, I think it's normal to be a little concerned when things like this happen. Knowing that I'm planning to visit the popular sites in Rome, I can't say that I'm not a little nervous. I realize that something could happen to anyone at any time. I was just curious about what other people think.
Yes, you have to be realistic. Be aware of your surroundings, but enjoy those surroundings, too. It sounds like a great trip!

Also, I want to visit Europe again, maybe next year. Florence was discussed with a friend. Can you come back and let me know what you liked? Rome, too.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 PM

56,053 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Just a suggestion, but if you really want to get an eyeopening, feel for Europe and their current challenges, perhaps you could pay a visit to Sint-Jans-Molenbeek, neighborhood.

Go there and eat a nice lunch of Middle east kabobs, Humus, fattoush, and babaghanoush. Relax, enjoy your meal observe and take note of your surroundings before you go back to your hotel and regular tourist attractions.

Might enhance your perspective.
I had to look up fattoush. Oh does that look good!

I love Middle Eastern food.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:23 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
Go and have a great time. Don't even worry about it. It's more likely you would get waxed going out to check the mail. Or be hit by a satellite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or