U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:57 AM

935 posts, read 1,056,753 times

Advertisements

No I would not go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 AM

14,391 posts, read 7,921,507 times
I think the odds of your being robbed by a pick pocket will be greater then being harmed by a terrorist in Italy. I personally would go. Keep your purse and wallets locked in a safe at the hotel and sight see with one credit card and a small amount of money. I would hire a private car vs being on public transportation and avoid crowded venues.

I think I'd be more worried about the plane crashing due to poor maintenance or pilot error vs a terrorist attack. I have to stop watching Air Disasters and Why Planes Crash. Those shows are making me as paranoid about flying, just as the terrorist attacks are making people paranoid about traveling.

It's easy to fall prey to sensationalism, but the facts are that the odds are in your favor that you will have a safe trip. Yep I'll just have to remember that the next time I go in the ocean after watching shark attack videos during shark week.

Never mind, maybe I'll just stay home and hide under the covers. Doh!

Old 03-24-2016, 10:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 7,485,319 times
Hopefully, people will not want to go and rates will go down. We have a trip to Amsterdam and Prague in a few months and I cannot wait to go!

Old 03-24-2016, 11:11 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,476,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One should not stop their life and their plans and give into terrorism. But one should still be vigilant when one is out and about.
^ Pretty much this.

In a couple of months we are headed over to Germany and Ireland for two weeks. The thought of cancelling our trip never even crossed our minds.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:38 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,391,767 times
Now that all the attention is on Europe, they'll hit some place else if they're going to do it.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:46 PM

45,820 posts, read 34,041,047 times
We are more likely to become involved in a fatal car accident the next time we drive than being in the wrong place at the wrong time and being a victim of terrorism.

Terrorism succeeds when people succumb to fear.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:48 PM

263 posts, read 183,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Heading on a two week trip in May that will include London, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark. Without a doubt, I am still going, and will not be scared!
Enjoy. Sounds wonderful. My favorite "London Local Tip" I got from a friend...if you want to see Tower Bridge open, as you walk across on the guard posts there is a list of when they will be opening it for ships to pass through. It really is there, we timed it to see it, and it was the best...and not something a lot of people see.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,643,606 times
I would go, the safest time to travel is after an attack when security everywhere is high. That said be prepared for extra searches at TSA and foreign equivalents.

The aim of the terrorists is to disrupt our way of life, to give in to that means they have won.

We are heading to the UK and Eire in July and have no qualms about travelling.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:58 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,693,861 times
There are hundreds of millions of people who LIVE there. Get a grip. Worry about real stuff, like driving to work which is statistically far more risky.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 PM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
For most Americans, foreign travel begins in Europe, then off to Asia, then, surprisingly, South America comes last.

I took the same route with my world travels, left South America until last (7 separate trips) and I now wish I had spent more time there.

Ever hear of any terrorist attacks in South America? No Muslims, to speak of, or not at all. They're not helping to bomb ISIS, so no counter attacks to be expected.

So, if you're obsessed with the terrorist issue in Europe, try South America!

Myself, I'd be a bit nervous traveling to Europe right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or