Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

One of the cruise stops is Marseilles, which has a terrible reputation because of all the muslims. I intend to get away from Marseilles and go to Aix en Provence, but that was the case before the Paris and Brussels attacks. I sure has hell wouldn't go to a hell hole like Molenbeek.
I strongly suggest you not skip Marseille. I recently visited it while staying at Aix and Marseille turned out to be quite a pleasant city, at least from a tourist's perspective. I ended up going there the second day too, because as quaint and elegant as Aix is, it is a bit too small. Marseille offers a lot. I even took the bus to the outskirt to visit the calanques. Had an amazing day. Looking back, I wished I had stayed in Marseille instead of Aix--en-Provence.

Don't believe too much the "reputation". See Marseille with your own eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2016, 12:57 PM

220 posts, read 417,732 times
In an attempt to try to help people who are concerned enough not to travel to Europe = maybe think about certain areas versus others. If Germany, Brussels or cities such as Paris were on your wish list maybe rethink the itinerary just a bit (remember this is for people who will simply not go due to being scared no matter what we say to them). Right now a lot of refugees are coming in via Greece and moving up the right side of Italy and into Austria before getting to Germany, Sweden, etc.

So how about flying into Zurich and spending a bit more time in Switzerland? How about going to Florence but maybe staying outside of the city in an awesome Agro Tourismo rental (that way when the time comes you are "safely" in Tuscany and are one hour out of Florence, which gives you the option to go into the city or not). The Lake district of Italy should be fine and so should the Dolomites.

I have to admit that we had not locked down our summer 2016 travel plans before the Paris attacks and when we ended up making our plans final we altered them just a bit.....and we are seasoned travelers that have been everywhere and back multiple times. It sucks that some of us (myself included) get scared just a bit but let's work around it and try to minimize our fears while we watch this whole thing play out.

AND BY THE WAY, don't think we are the only ones who feel this way. We were in Costa Rica several months ago and met up with two young German guys who lived in Munich. When we asked them about the current situation, they were very unhappy and very scared for their future. We visited Dubai over the Holidays and meet up with a couple from Austria. Once again we asked them about the current situation, and they were also very upset with what is happening to their country.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:05 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I strongly suggest you not skip Marseille. I recently visited it while staying at Aix and Marseille turned out to be quite a pleasant city, at least from a tourist's perspective. I ended up going there the second day too, because as quaint and elegant as Aix is, it is a bit too small. Marseille offers a lot. I even took the bus to the outskirt to visit the calanques. Had an amazing day. Looking back, I wished I had stayed in Marseille instead of Aix--en-Provence.

Don't believe too much the "reputation". See Marseille with your own eyes.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. Very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel