Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 08:51 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,201,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Is there any warning about Italy??? Belgium and Italy are two different countries and are like 950 miles away.
Doesn't matter. How far is Syria? I just heard a report that Paris hotel bookings still have not recovered and in fact they are way down. I can't see myself at a sidewalk cafe in Paris enjoying my meal anytime soon. You feel so vulnerable and have so little faith in the authorities to keep you safe. It will be a long time before things get back to normal. If anything, they are getting worse and nobody has a handle on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:55 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,201,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Would you stop driving if media says there are 250 people killed per day on the roads by auto accidents??
I would if it was for leisure. Now, if you are already committed I would probably go but I would be hesitant to plan new trips.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:06 AM

23,394 posts, read 23,819,817 times
I would go and enjoy myself. If you don't, you are giving in to what the terrorists want!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:10 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,968,246 times
I have a 10 day vacation planned for Germany next month . We are still going just be aware of surroundings

Old 03-23-2016, 09:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,848,319 times
even if you don't fall prey to terrorist attacks (and beware of the beaches around the Mediterranean, attacks are planned there too), you will have to endure the hassles of enforced security, which will certainly put a damper on the pleasure you'd have otherwise enjoyed from your trip. Islamic terrorism is here to stay, folks, as long as Europe hasn't cleaned up its act and taken real measures against that threat. Meanwhile, it is more reasonable to choose other destinations. But again, if you like to confront challenges, or are thrilled by them, go ahead! after all, I agree 100% security doesn't exist anywhere.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,744,039 times
I will be going to Europe in July for two weeks and one of the things I will be doing in attending the Beyonce concert at the Stade de France. one of the locations of last year's attacks. Belgium is also on the list of places to visit while we are there and I may possibly go the Beyonce concert in Brussels (I realize I'm a stan). I'm not even entertaining the possibility of changing my plans, maybe it's because I live in the DC area and I was here for the 9/11 and sniper attacks, but I realize that you can't stop living your life or doing the things you enjoy because of the possibility that something bad can happen. I'm more worried that I will have people asking me to explain the elections, I'm not even sure how I'm going to handle that.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
I wouldn't go. Not because of any fear of terrorist attacks but because I don't speak Europe or understand how their money works and the cost to ship my pick-up truck over their to drive is like a million-zillion Euros probably.

Guess it'll be Branson or Dollywood again this year kids.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,144,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I will be going to Europe in July for two weeks and one of the things I will be doing in attending the Beyonce concert at the Stade de France. one of the locations of last year's attacks. Belgium is also on the list of places to visit while we are there and I may possibly go the Beyonce concert in Brussels (I realize I'm a stan). I'm not even entertaining the possibility of changing my plans, maybe it's because I live in the DC area and I was here for the 9/11 and sniper attacks, but I realize that you can't stop living your life or doing the things you enjoy because of the possibility that something bad can happen. I'm more worried that I will have people asking me to explain the elections, I'm not even sure how I'm going to handle that.
Yeah I live in DC, born and raised. I was in high school for both 9/11 and the sniper attacks. My high school was just a few blocks away from the Capitol. Scary times.

As others have said, I think Europe for the most part is safe. My fiance and I went last May and had a blast, and hit up four major cities, i.e. Paris, London, etc. It was fine, I was more worried about being pick pocketed than I was about being in the middle of a terrorist attack. We're trying to go to Greece sometime this year, IDK, we'll see. This is exactly what ISIS wants, to have everyone live in fear. Don't let them win, go and have fun.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:52 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,529,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit42 View Post
My husband and I are supposed to go to Italy in three weeks and the media keeps reporting about attacks being planned all over Europe. Would you still take your trip after what happened today? I've been excited about this for so long, but it's scary to think about what's going on in Europe right now. I know it could happen anywhere, but you have to be cautious. They're warning people to avoid all crowded areas, which I imagine is pretty hard to do when you're touring Rome or Florence.
I'd absolutely take the trip. I won't alter my travel plans because of what may or may not happen at some time in the future. Yeah, it is scary what is happening, but altering my life plays into their hands.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,529,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I wouldn't go. Not because of any fear of terrorist attacks but because I don't speak Europe or understand how their money works and the cost to ship my pick-up truck over their to drive is like a million-zillion Euros probably.

Guess it'll be Branson or Dollywood again this year kids.
I'd suggest shipping a smaller car and packing it full of dollars. That's much more efficient than your getting transportation there and foreign transaction fees.

How do you manage to be on every thread, Ghengis?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel