U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 AM

162 posts, read 158,074 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My family recently went on a trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica. I know many people will not book travel there because they feel it is very unsafe. We were on an all-inclusive resort but left a lot and never felt unsafe. We went out by ourselves with NO tour guides and never ever felt threatened. We listened to the locals and avoided certain places, but other than that we went all over the island. I know Jamaica gets a bad rap for safety concerns so I just wanted let people know our experience there and it was amazing. Yes, they are really pushy for you to buy trinkets out in town (similar to Mexico ) but the people were very welcoming! The beaches and food were fantastic. This was a wonderful trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:08 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chili View Post
Hi everyone! My family recently went on a trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica. I know many people will not book travel there because they feel it is very unsafe. We were on an all-inclusive resort but left a lot and never felt unsafe. We went out by ourselves with NO tour guides and never ever felt threatened. We listened to the locals and avoided certain places, but other than that we went all over the island. I know Jamaica gets a bad rap for safety concerns so I just wanted let people know our experience there and it was amazing. Yes, they are really pushy for you to buy trinkets out in town (similar to Mexico ) but the people were very welcoming! The beaches and food were fantastic. This was a wonderful trip!
I have never been there, just Bahamas and Puerto Rico, but my daughter just started a job as a travel agent (yes, they still exist) and the new manager asked her where she has been. She lived in China twice, and has traveled to other parts of Asia and also Europe. The manager said, "So you've never been to the Caribbean?" She said, "Just Bahamas, with my mother, when I was 12."

The manager said, "Oh, then we are going to have to send you on a working trip to Jamaica so you can learn about it so that you can better sell it to customers."

I was like, "WHAT ABOUT YOUR MOTHER???"

Old 06-11-2016, 05:22 PM

1,318 posts, read 1,181,943 times
I just returned from a vacation at an all inclusive resort in Montego Bay. I loved the beaches and the sunny climate, but would only leave the resort on organized trips. Friends tried just going for a quick walk to a local grocery store but quickly retreated when accosted by locals trying to sell them drugs.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:17 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,345,274 times
I don't think Jamaica is any more "dangerous" than any other place.....it's just that the locals will hound you to buy something...anything...they are VERY poor!

Old 06-14-2016, 02:16 PM

4,380 posts, read 3,619,866 times
I haven't been to Montego Bay, but I have been to Ocho Rios on a cruise stop which led to going back for a week long stay at an All-Inclusive resort a few years ago. My friend and I also left the resort unattended and had no issues. Being she's a blue-eyed blonde, they were quite fascinated with her while as a green-eyed brunette, I was largely ignored. lol

If there weren't so many other places I still want to see, I'd totally go back to Jamaica again.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 PM

4,429 posts, read 5,667,284 times
I've been going to an exclusive resort in Ochos Rios for the past 3 years. And to be honest never felt the need to leave the resort. My wife went on a organized trip to horse back ride and had no issues. Granted I'd say the security around the resort is fairly heavy so no too much interaction happens between locals and tourists. Granted some enterprising folks skirt the water line at the beach trying to sell stuff.

Just to say. I usually fly into Montego Bay and take a 2 hour mini bus ride to Ochos Rios. To me it pretty interesting to see how the landscape changes. I can watch the landscape go from well to do, to proverty stricken, to dense woods and back again. I'd say I see that change 3 or 4 times on that bus trip. And the change is swift and stark.

Also on a cruise I got to go on a couple of the islands.

I was on the Dutch side to st. Martian. Had no problem at all walking around. I'd actually say that was my favorite island on that cruise. Was very pretty and clean. And though I'd rather scuba dive. The snorkeling I'd say was good.

Went on st. Croix. Out side of the main port area I'd say it was very quiet. I hike part of the island all by my lonesome. And had no problems. Actually ran into a biking group on the way back and they took the time to stop and offer me some water. That was very nice. The only problems I had were in the port area. I could not get a taxi because I was kind hiking in a somewhat out of the way area (so I walked) and I was hit up for money a couple of time. But I kind of expected that. So no harm no foul.

St. Thomas was in ok. I liked the aquarium. And the beaches were alright. Other than that. I real have no strong memory of the place.

Final stop on our cruise was in San Juan Puerto Rico. Only got to spend a little time there. Though I thought the downtown area (tourist area) was cute. And really dug Castillo San Cristóbal.

Anyways. Can't wait to get back to Jamacia. It always a good time for at our resort.

Last edited by baystater; 06-15-2016 at 07:57 PM..

Old 06-15-2016, 07:57 PM

18,845 posts, read 13,587,446 times
Went to Montego Bay two years or so ago and had no issues hitting up local eateries, the grocery stores and only was offered drugs once at Dunns a River falls but I declined and simply move on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or