U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 04:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,659,290 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip from Virginia to Maine and back. I've been looking for an app that will help plan the best route and keep me organized. So far all I've found are ones that keep room / flight email confirmations.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 PM

30,322 posts, read 27,780,270 times
I'd try a GPS unit, the one I have works great and I don't think there is any app that will do the same thing. You might try Google Map on your cell phone and keep an eye on the route that way if your cell phone is programed for GPS tracking? Check your options! Google maps will plan your trip/route and tell you where you are at with the right option on your cell phone.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 AM

14,255 posts, read 23,974,521 times
In my opinion, WAZE (a GPS app) does better than Google Maps in that it informs you of police position, disabled cars, traffic jams and the like.

Gas Buddy let's you know the location of the lowest gas prices as well as the closest.

I use Priceline to book my hotels between 3-4 pm each day thatI am on the road.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:13 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In my opinion, WAZE (a GPS app) does better than Google Maps in that it informs you of police position, disabled cars, traffic jams and the like.
If one is driving, I agree that WAZE seems to be the best.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Oh to have something as nice as Campermate app (NZ) in USA.

It provided great instructions to difficult to find treasures, as well recent updates (such as someone who posted the day before you were there)

From food to maps / lodging / special events / special hosts / gas / toilets... What a great app, it saved us a bundle and made for a very special trip!

Definately stay in private guesthomes or in campgrounds in national parks / nicer locations / access than a home / hotel would have. (Like a few feet from crashing waves / cliffs / ...)

The relationships we have gained with our hosts have made our trips superb. We still keep in touch with a guesthome in Maine that we visited 26 yrs ago. We stayed for an extra week riding horses and doing chores around their farm. Have 3 guesthomes in NH and 4 in VT that we still frequent. $10 - $20 / night worldwide. GREAT food (usually free)

Tripadvisor will help (if you can deal with their spam)

Scenic Byways look like they got deleted / absconded by the federal gov. That was a very helpful site.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:02 PM

14,255 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If one is driving, I agree that WAZE seems to be the best.

I will say that they send you on some of the most counter-intuitive routes to avoid traffic. I have been on some of the wildest rural routes that you could imagine.

By the way, WAZE is a real battery suck so you have to make sure that it is plugged in all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or