U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 02:30 PM

601 posts, read 716,868 times

Advertisements

We're moving from the Twin Cities area to Surprise in June. Driving a 26-ft Uhaul truck towing a car/trailer behind. I've driven big rigs so not worried about that aspect.

Mapquest routes us south to K.C. then Kansas, OK, down to I-40 and across (driven OK, TX before and it's a bit boring). Wondered about doing the NE, Denver and across on I-70 into Utah, south on 191 to I-40. Both routes, according to Mapquest take about same time (just over 27 hrs) I-70 would be more scenic certainly.

We're leaving about noon on a Monday and want to be there by noon on Thursday at the latest. Any experiences with these routes? Recommends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 03:35 PM

2,601 posts, read 5,302,045 times
I70 is certainly scenic and takes you way high to the Eisenhower tunnel at about 11000 ft. And then down on the other side. Not something I would enjoy while towing.

There is also an extended downhill on I17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:29 PM

30,348 posts, read 27,821,410 times
Just this past week Denver had a bad blizzard move through there. I-25 was completely covered with blowing snow; don’t know what I-70 was like however in the higher elevations there surely were problems. One would “hope” that was the “last” cold spell and blizzard however the weather seems to be unpredictable this time of year. I would avoid CO & UT heading south to KC and moving southwest to OK to catch I-40 and come across that way. Less problems weather wise I would think or hope.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,290,206 times
OP is planning the move in June. I've seen snow at Arapahoe Basin Ski Area in July, but the odds of a blizzard in June are extremely low. The descent into Silverthorne/Dillon will be a bigger concern, but the OP has stated he has experience driving big trucks. If he doesn't mind going over two high altitude spots (Eisenhower Tunnel & Vail Pass) along with Glenwood Canyon, DeBeque Canyon, and the San Rafael Swell the I-70 to I-15 route is a lot more scenic.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:10 AM

39,561 posts, read 47,801,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
We're moving from the Twin Cities area to Surprise in June. Driving a 26-ft Uhaul truck towing a car/trailer behind. I've driven big rigs so not worried about that aspect.

Mapquest routes us south to K.C. then Kansas, OK, down to I-40 and across (driven OK, TX before and it's a bit boring). Wondered about doing the NE, Denver and across on I-70 into Utah, south on 191 to I-40. Both routes, according to Mapquest take about same time (just over 27 hrs) I-70 would be more scenic certainly.

We're leaving about noon on a Monday and want to be there by noon on Thursday at the latest. Any experiences with these routes? Recommends?
We do that Minneapolis to Sun City twice a year. We like the I-80 route best as it is cooler in June than the TX-OK route and is far more scenic. Better roads too. Good hotels all along the way fronting the freeways.
We do not go into Denver. I recommend the following way to miss the hassle of Denver and the toll roads. Take 80 toward Denver to the 76 cutoff (way before Denver) then down 71 to Limon, then over toward Colorado Springs/Pueblo, then down 25 to Albuquerque, then 40 to Flagstaff, then down 17 to Phoenix 101 west to where you're going. Or you can take the Sonoran Parkway just south of Carefree Hwy over to the Sun City/Surprise areas. This way you bypass going to the Phoenix traffic.
Time wise is 4 days for us.
We take 35 down to Des Moines then catch 80 there.

Alternative is 35 down to 70 west to Limon then to Co. Springs/Pueblo.
Or 35 down to Oklahoma City then onto 40 over to Flagstaff.
All take about same amount of time, but weather wise and scenic is 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel