U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:33 AM

7 posts, read 3,101 times

Advertisements

Most of the attractive particularly take a day trip to the Pina Palace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 10:57 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,557,400 times
If you guys had 2 full days there, what would be the sights to check out? Right now we just have our going and departing flight booked, Lisbon is the first stop, but we're open minded and might do 3 days instead of 2. I'd really like to go to Sintra, but that may be saved for a later trip.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM

9,182 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
If you guys had 2 full days there, what would be the sights to check out? Right now we just have our going and departing flight booked, Lisbon is the first stop, but we're open minded and might do 3 days instead of 2. I'd really like to go to Sintra, but that may be saved for a later trip.
Day 1: I'd hop on Trolley 28 and ride up to St. George's Castle. Take in the views and enjoy the sights for a while. Than, I would walk down the hill through the Alfama which is an old neighborhood full of classic buildings. There are a couple of churches to see if you a get walking map. The walk with sightseeing will take two or three hours if properly done. I would than catch either a cab or take another trolley to the Praco Mercantile and sit down at one of the numerous sit down cafes there and order lunch and beer. I might take an hour after lunch and stroll around this area just to shop and sightsee. Than take a cab to the Gulbenkian Art Museum. Plan on two to three hours to properly see this museum and its lovely grounds. You can figure out dinner on your own when your done at the Museum

Day 2: You spend the day in Belem a part of Lisbon on the waterfront. Take a cab to Pastries de Belem and have several pastries with either coffee or hot milk for a snack. Hop over to the Jeronimos Monastery which is close by. See the Monastery, the Naval Museum, Torres de Belem, the Monument to Discovery, and the Royal Coach Museum. With the walking involved, this is enough to keep you busy for the rest of Day 2. If you get tired, just find a place to sit down and order a beer.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Thx 4 the gr8t hints; on my way there in a month or so.

Beyond Lisbon hints are welcome too (I don't do 'cities' except on holidays and Sunday)

SR

Old 04-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Day 1: I'd hop on Trolley 28 and ride up to St. George's Castle. Take in the views and enjoy the sights for a while. Than, I would walk down the hill through the Alfama which is an old neighborhood full of classic buildings. There are a couple of churches to see if you a get walking map. The walk with sightseeing will take two or three hours if properly done. I would than catch either a cab or take another trolley to the Praco Mercantile and sit down at one of the numerous sit down cafes there and order lunch and beer. I might take an hour after lunch and stroll around this area just to shop and sightsee. Than take a cab to the Gulbenkian Art Museum. Plan on two to three hours to properly see this museum and its lovely grounds. You can figure out dinner on your own when your done at the Museum

Day 2: You spend the day in Belem a part of Lisbon on the waterfront. Take a cab to Pastries de Belem and have several pastries with either coffee or hot milk for a snack. Hop over to the Jeronimos Monastery which is close by. See the Monastery, the Naval Museum, Torres de Belem, the Monument to Discovery, and the Royal Coach Museum. With the walking involved, this is enough to keep you busy for the rest of Day 2. If you get tired, just find a place to sit down and order a beer.
Is Cervejaria Ramiro all that its cracked up to be or is it a tourist trap?

Old 04-10-2016, 01:57 PM

12,683 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
....Day 2: You spend the day in Belem a part of Lisbon on the waterfront. Take a cab to Pastries de Belem and have several pastries with either coffee or hot milk for a snack. Hop over to the Jeronimos Monastery which is close by. See the Monastery, the Naval Museum, Torres de Belem, the Monument to Discovery, and the Royal Coach Museum. With the walking involved, this is enough to keep you busy for the rest of Day 2. If you get tired, just find a place to sit down and order a beer.
Why wouldn't you take a tram? Cheaper and not a long ride.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:49 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
So...it's been about 2 months since I posted this thread and I've come back with a very small update.

I have decided I think doing Spain and Portugal would be too much. I think a few posters might have mentioned this, and I agree now. I just keep thinking back to a trip I did last year...I went to Vienna for work. Then I took a week off to visit Rome and Capri. So I went from Vienna to Rome to Naples to Capri back to Naples then Rome then Vienna to get back home in the US.

By the time I got to Capri I think I was a little beat from all the travel but the excitement of seeing new places got me through for the most part. However, I'm not sure I want this trip to be like this. I have been to Barcelona last year and honestly fell in love with it and desperately want to go back, which is why I wanted to fit it in along with Lisbon. I would be quite sad to have to wait until 2017 to return. Right now I am considering departing on Aug 31st or Sept 1st and returning on Sept 12, which would give me 10-11 full days to vacation (and get between destinations) wherever I choose to go.

Now I am thinking if I do Portugal to just fly into Algarve region and check out the amazing beaches there (3 days?), then take a bus up to Lisbon and do the rest of the trip in that region with 1 full day committed to Sintra since that is a must see. Question: Is Cascais worth a full day?

I will say this: For Portugal, I am wondering if 7 full days in Lisbon area may be too long for me... I am quite leisurely on trips to beach areas, but outside of that I tend to "sight see and keep it moving"...otherwise my attention span wears a little short. I guess I won't know until I get there.

IF I do not do Portugal this trip then I feel like I would probably just go back to Barcelona, but instead do the first maybe 3 days in Costa Brava (which I have not seen before!), and the rest in Barcelona (separate thread/topic of discussion). 10-11 days in Costa Brava/Barcelona vs. 10-11 days in Algarve/Lisbon.....so hard to choose!!!

I am guessing the answer to this question is Barcelona, but between the two cities, which would you consider to be faster-paced?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So...it's been about 2 months since I posted this thread and I've come back with a very small update.

I have decided I think doing Spain and Portugal would be too much. I think a few posters might have mentioned this, and I agree now. I just keep thinking back to a trip I did last year...I went to Vienna for work. Then I took a week off to visit Rome and Capri. So I went from Vienna to Rome to Naples to Capri back to Naples then Rome then Vienna to get back home in the US.

By the time I got to Capri I think I was a little beat from all the travel but the excitement of seeing new places got me through for the most part. However, I'm not sure I want this trip to be like this. I have been to Barcelona last year and honestly fell in love with it and desperately want to go back, which is why I wanted to fit it in along with Lisbon. I would be quite sad to have to wait until 2017 to return. Right now I am considering departing on Aug 31st or Sept 1st and returning on Sept 12, which would give me 10-11 full days to vacation (and get between destinations) wherever I choose to go.

Now I am thinking if I do Portugal to just fly into Algarve region and check out the amazing beaches there (3 days?), then take a bus up to Lisbon and do the rest of the trip in that region with 1 full day committed to Sintra since that is a must see. Question: Is Cascais worth a full day?

I will say this: For Portugal, I am wondering if 7 full days in Lisbon area may be too long for me... I am quite leisurely on trips to beach areas, but outside of that I tend to "sight see and keep it moving"...otherwise my attention span wears a little short. I guess I won't know until I get there.

IF I do not do Portugal this trip then I feel like I would probably just go back to Barcelona, but instead do the first maybe 3 days in Costa Brava (which I have not seen before!), and the rest in Barcelona (separate thread/topic of discussion). 10-11 days in Costa Brava/Barcelona vs. 10-11 days in Algarve/Lisbon.....so hard to choose!!!

I am guessing the answer to this question is Barcelona, but between the two cities, which would you consider to be faster-paced?
Based on my research of Lisbon (will just be there 2.5 days), seems like Barcelona is the faster paced city definitely. I was there for a few days last year and there's a hustle and bustle to it that I really like.

Honestly, if you have 11 days, I see no reason why you couldn't do both cities. If you're just going to Lisbon and not doing anything outside the city, you could stay there 2-3 days and just spend the rest in Spain.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:16 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Based on my research of Lisbon (will just be there 2.5 days), seems like Barcelona is the faster paced city definitely. I was there for a few days last year and there's a hustle and bustle to it that I really like.

Honestly, if you have 11 days, I see no reason why you couldn't do both cities. If you're just going to Lisbon and not doing anything outside the city, you could stay there 2-3 days and just spend the rest in Spain.
Well....I think the issue would be doing Algarve+Lisbon *and* Costa Brava+Barcelona.

Now I'm thinking it would be hard to go to Lisbon and not see the Algarve region. (Maybe someone could talk me out of it since I did go to Capri last year..??)

And I'm thinking it would be hard to go to Barcelona without seeing 'something new that's close to Barcelona'...hence the reason for adding Costa Brava to the Barcelona trip.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 PM

3,660 posts, read 6,482,326 times
Was in Lisbon earlier this year for 5 days and loved it... ranks right up there on my list of favorite places I've ever been.

I would highly recommend a free walking tour.. They had one that lasted a few hours, learned a lot and got an inside tip on a great restaurant that ended up being not only an amazing meal, but a fantastic story as well. (Super Mario's- have to try it).

We also went to a Benfica match, the zoo, and a town called Ericerra... what a cool place!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel