U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 10:50 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,194,659 times

Advertisements

Thinking of doing a LIS-BCN trip in the fall (October?).

If not I'll just go to Barcelona but might try stopping in either Granada or Seville as part of the trip.

I don't have any friends who have been to Lisbon and would like to know what people like/don't like about it. How is the food? Will I get by ok there for 2-3 days with virtually no experience with the language? Is October a good time to go weather-wise?

Is flying the best way to get to BCN from Lisbon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM

749 posts, read 596,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

If not I'll just go to Barcelona but might try stopping in either Granada or Seville as part of the trip.

I don't have any friends who have been to Lisbon and would like to know what people like/don't like about it. How is the food? Will I get by ok there for 2-3 days with virtually no experience with the language? Is October a good time to go weather-wise?

Lisbon is an awesome city. It has lots to see and many tourists report people are very friendly. Many people have a very good command of English so you will be just fine even if you don't know any word. October is a nice time to go, the weather is typically still nice though the temperature is mild and perfect for walking around. There is a large variety of food to chose from, ranging from traditional Portuguese food to fast food or ethnic, usually pretty affordable.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:25 PM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times
Quote:

We went to Lisbon, Madrid, and Barcelona in November of last year. I highly recommend Lisbon as a destination.

First of all, Portugal is probably the cheapest country to visit in Western Europe. Your dollar will go far. My observation is that you could have a four course dinner in a good restaurant for about $20 a piece. Vegetables and fruits seemed very fresh and tasty. Most taxi rides around Lisbon are under 10 euro (which is about $11 at today's exchange rates).

If you go, I'd recommend you see and do the following things:

1. Take the cable car (Trolley 28) to the top of Alfama and visit the Castle of St. George. Than take an hour or so and walk through neighborhoods of the Alfama until you reach the bottom of the hill. By all means, stop and eat at one of the restaurants on the way down if you are around lunch or dinner time.

2. Visit the Jeronimos Monastery (built around 1200). In the same building is located the Portugese Maritime Museum. It is inexpensive and reminds one of the important contribution the Portugese made to exploration of the world.

3. Stop at Pastries de Belem and eat several of the custard pastries the shop is famous for.

4. Visit the Torres de Belem. This is a very old fortress built in the harbor of Lisbon. Its not very large and has very windy staircases, but is extremely interesting.

4. Visit the Monument to Discovery which is located at the edge of the ocean and contains engravings of early Portugese explorers. There is a museum inside that reminds us of all aspects of exploration--including some bad ones--such as sexually transmitted diseases. You can also take an elevator to the top and get a great view of the harbor.

5. Visit the Royal Coach Museum which is now located in a brand new building. The museum contains royal coaches owned by the kings and queens of Portugal back in the days when the horse was supreme. The coaches epitomize the wealth and power of these rulers.

6. Visit the Gulbenkian Art Museum. Don't let this strange name turn you off. Its a moderate sized collection of art beginning during ancient times (Egyptians and such) and ending in modern times. The exhibits are arranged in a handy and understandable way. The museum gardens and grounds alone practically make this trip worthwhile.

7. Depending on the number of days you have in Lisbon, you might consider arranging a day trip outside the city to Sintra to see the palace on the top of the mountain.

8. Just sitting and sipping a beer in the Praco de Mercantile is a great way to end an afternoon or evening.

Don't worry about the language. We speak nothing, but English and did fine. I think its a sign of the times, but Europe has become very homogenized with people from all nations traveling about the continent. Merchants and businessmen learn foreign languages--particularly English--out of pure necessity.

I would not miss Lisbon.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:42 AM

12,257 posts, read 18,390,529 times
The above thread pretty much says it all so I will just confirm Lisbon is pretty fun, particularly take a day trip to the Pina Palace. Language will not be an issue. The only thing I would add is you can make all of Portugal, not just Lisbon, a vacation. Portugal unlike the rest of Western Europe is like "old Europe", particularly the countryside. Still cheap and inexpensive compared to the rest of the continent. Barcelona is great as well but you are dealing with two distinct countries here - visit one or the other, not both. We got a rental car and did a week long loop over to Evora and almost up to Porto, staying at Pousadas (in one case a castle keep, in another night an old nunnery) each night.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
LOVED Lisbon. It was sort of like a ramshackle San Francisco. The Portuguese were so friendly.

markg91359 covered almost everything.

I will add:

Try to hear some fado. We found some live music in the Alfama.

If you like nature, think about visiting the wolf sanctuary 30 minutes outside of town. If you call ahead of time, you can get a guided tour in English. I can't remember if we just donated some euros or whether there was a charge, but it wasn't very much. The setting is very natural, but we did manage to see a few of the Iberian wolves. We took the bus, the drive was beautiful.

Grupo Lobo

Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 PM

1,237 posts, read 995,765 times
Most of the attractions mentioned by markg91359 are close to each other in Belém area.

Don't miss the areas of Avenida da Liberdade and Nations Park!!
Take a day for Avenida da Liberdade and visit Marques do Pombal, Rossio and Restauradores Squares, Rossio Station and Lavra Ascensor. Another half day for Nations Park and visit the Orient Station, Vasco da Gama Mall and the oceanarium.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:18 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Lisbon is lovely. A lot cheaper than the rest of Western Europe, the food is good, the weather is nice (for the most part), the people are quite friendly, it's gorgeous, and there's plenty to see and do.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:54 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,194,659 times
Thank you so much to all of you for your input on Lisbon.

It sounds like a great place and I must admit...I am very impressed by the pictures of Sintra! Looks like a "must do" day trip.

I'd love to hear more from those who have also been to Comporta; I'd be interested in checking that out as well.

Anyone have input on the weather at the very beginning of September or middle of October? Those are the two timeframes I'm looking at.

Lastly, if anyone has traveled between Lisbon and Barcelona, I'd love to hear your experiences regarding the best way to travel between the two cities.

TIA!!

Old 04-03-2016, 08:13 PM

749 posts, read 596,099 times
Quote:
Thank you so much to all of you for your input on Lisbon.

It sounds like a great place and I must admit...I am very impressed by the pictures of Sintra! Looks like a "must do" day trip.

I'd love to hear more from those who have also been to Comporta; I'd be interested in checking that out as well.

Anyone have input on the weather at the very beginning of September or middle of October? Those are the two timeframes I'm looking at.

Lastly, if anyone has traveled between Lisbon and Barcelona, I'd love to hear your experiences regarding the best way to travel between the two cities.

TIA!!
Sintra is really awesome, the castle is really unique and is really worth it. Comporta and the whole Setubal costline area are very picturesque, it has been the nearby Lisboan getaway for a while. It has plenty vacation amenities though it still has a genuine feel to it. However since Lisbon has been experiencing an unprecedented touristic boom over the past 6-7 years it probably won't stay a hidden gem very long.
The weather at the beginning of September is still sunny and nice, though some rainfall is not uncommon. By mid-october fall weather is more pronounced, while you can still enjoy sunny weather, overcast days and rain can also occur. At that time there is already less tourists in the streets and hotels since kids are back in school.
I know nothing about Barcelona but depending on the amount luggage you will be carrying you might be able to secure a good airfare deal with one of the low-cost companies.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 PM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
It's 600 miles. No high speed rail. You're flying. There are lots of flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel