U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 10:18 PM

5,434 posts, read 4,083,759 times

Advertisements

The amount I allotted for the sports car included Insurance and maintanance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 01:44 AM

34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Seems this sportscar is an itch that needs scratching, until you get that sportscar that itch will always be there. go get the sportscar enjoy it and worry about world tours at a later date.
Out of curiosity what sportscar do you have in mind?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 PM

5,434 posts, read 4,083,759 times
Yeah I guess. After a Ferrari and four porsches, my last sports car was a 97 Dodge Viper GTS supercharged and nitrous. That was my last sports car and it simply was too loud, crude, uncomfortable. Now that I'm older I'm thinking more of a cruiser. I was looking at a used Mercedes SL550 because I like the style, power, and luxury comfort. What I really like is the power top because it can be a convertible or hardtop. Because they depreciate so fast the prices really drop on them.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:29 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Since you're a car guy, I'd say France and Italy may or may not be life-changing, but you really should make time to drive a proper German luxury car on the 'unlimited' stretches of the autobahn. I really do think that Germany is underrated as a travel destination- very good tourism infrastructure that, barring you're in town for big festival or trade fair week, is very reasonably priced. (The Ibis and Motel One hotel chains are clean, modern, and since they have to compete with hostel private rooms, relatively inexpensive) There is great history, awesome scenery, interesting culture, and pretty much anyone who grew up in the old West Germany area remembers enough schoolchild English to muddle through the usual tourism stuff. (The old East Germany, where kids learned Russian, is a little more hit and miss.) Plus, not overrun with Chinese tourists yet like Paris has become.

And a really awesome place to road trip to the smaller towns in a region, for all that traffic and parking in the bigger cities can be a hassle.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Take a EURO DELIVERY on your desired car, have a blast,

bring it home and have a blast.

Sell it and get something else that is fun.

There are some nice blogs of owners who took Euro Delivery. Including a 'His and Hers' where they each got similar car in different colors. (I think they did 2 different trips, one for each)

A great Blog on a TDI A3 Audi,

There are also some good options for road trip fun in Europe, where people bought or shipped their campervans / small RV's in a container. One couple has left their RV n Europe for over 5 yrs, and fly back and forth to use it. I would buy and sell locally, and certainly have a diesel in Europe. They can be fun and fast. !!! And Europe has great quality Bio Diesel, so only smells like fish n chios. (Donuts)

I will be shipping some of my vintage motorcycles to Europe and NZ, and tour, then sell to someone that is willing to pay the import duty. There are lots of 'collectors' with lots of money, so you can do similar with a classic sports / muscle car. Your Viper would have been a good choice, but you wouldn't want to fuel that thing in Europe or NZ. I found the NZ collectors to be nuts over USA cars, and every sheep farmer has a few USA 'classics' stashed in the 'shed'.

Old 04-03-2016, 08:58 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,311,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Take a EURO DELIVERY on your desired car, have a blast,

bring it home and have a blast.
Already suggested; the OP blew past it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or