U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2016, 06:41 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
175 posts, read 321,881 times
Reputation: 167

Advertisements

I have Global Entry and love having pre-check. Some airports it's not a big deal, but others it's a HUGE time saver. I've found the most time saving in tourist heavy airports like Orlando and Las Vegas where the majority of people are traveling for leisure and don't have pre-check. The last time I flew out of Vegas I was in a line of five people with pre-check and got through in about 3 min. My dad, on the other hand, had to wait in the regular line and he didn't come through to meet me on the other side for almost 40 min. Orlando was similar - there were maybe three people in front of us while I'd guess there were 150-200 in the regular screening line. It's made a big difference to me in lowering my traveling stress level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2016, 05:03 PM
 
Location: SoCal & Mid-TN
2,201 posts, read 2,136,654 times
Reputation: 2636
I have it and I only fly a couple of times a year - but I use LAX and it's worth twice what I paid, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Woodbury, MN
1,465 posts, read 1,531,842 times
Reputation: 1880
Is the TSA Precheck included with Global Entry ($100 for both Global Entry and TSA Precheck)? Or, do you have to get Global Entry and TSA Precheck separately and pay for each ($185)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Some higher end credit cards reimburse you the $100 fee for Global entry if you have used that card to pay for it.
Which credit cards reimburse you for the Global Entry cost. I've never heard that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Fayetteville, NC
437 posts, read 616,394 times
Reputation: 662
When you are approved for global entry and get your card, you get a trusted traveler number. Once you get this, you can add the number to your frequent flier mile accounts and then the airline will know you have it, and you start getting pre-check on your boarding passes. It is not automatic per my experience; you have to make sure the airline knows you are enrolled in global entry to get the benefits of pre-check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 08:28 AM
 
18,848 posts, read 13,592,109 times
Reputation: 14263
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Is the TSA Precheck included with Global Entry ($100 for both Global Entry and TSA Precheck)? Or, do you have to get Global Entry and TSA Precheck separately and pay for each ($185)?



Which credit cards reimburse you for the Global Entry cost. I've never heard that before.

Amex plat reimburses the cost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD
1,300 posts, read 1,094,287 times
Reputation: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Is the TSA Precheck included with Global Entry ($100 for both Global Entry and TSA Precheck)? Or, do you have to get Global Entry and TSA Precheck separately and pay for each ($185)?



Which credit cards reimburse you for the Global Entry cost. I've never heard that before.
If you sign up for Global Entry first then you just pay $100 total for both programs. If you signed up for TSA Pre and then wanted to get Global Entry you have to pay for both and will end up spending $185

Here is an article that lists some of the cards that will reimburse your fees.

Another tip is, if possible, schedule your interview soon after your birthday so that you get an extra year of the program since the countdown doesn't start until your birthday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Clovis Strong, NM
3,376 posts, read 4,820,541 times
Reputation: 1982
I'll definitely have to look into the Global Entry before I decide to go do some visits over-seas. I figure with the finger-printing I have to every five years to maintain my HAZMAT on my CDL, this shouldn't be that difficult to get on board with. At the very least, it should ease most of the main resistance I have towards passenger flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Starting a walkabout
1,936 posts, read 936,834 times
Reputation: 2063
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Is the TSA Precheck included with Global Entry ($100 for both Global Entry and TSA Precheck)? Or, do you have to get Global Entry and TSA Precheck separately and pay for each ($185)?



Which credit cards reimburse you for the Global Entry cost. I've never heard that before.
Others have answered it but one point I would like to bring up is that being enrolled in TSA pre and Global Entry leads to the same final outcome for local flights. You get KTN which has a 95 % likelihood of getting TSA Precheck if you have added it to the booking or airline FF. To keep an element of randomness you might not get it 5 % of the time ( or so they say).

By ponying up the extra $15 and getting Global Entry you link the passport to the GE so that while returning to US from abroad you can use the expedited screening via GE kiosks. So if you even have a remote chance of traveling abroad anytime, get it rather than plain TSA Pre.

In my caee I actually got the GE for the faster return from abroad, than for the local flight Pre check
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top