U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:36 AM

11,698 posts, read 6,286,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Let's be clear - the travel ban with Cuba has been eased in some limited circumstances but still is very much in effect. The current US administration will end in less than a year and I see nothing changing before then as it has to go through the beuracratic process of law-making. After that, it's anyone's guess.

My preference, if I may, is to lift the ban the exact day that old relic of a failed political system from the previous century, the cult of personality that is Fidel Castro, finally takes his dirt nap. It can't happen too soon, what is he - 90? What a great message that would send to the people of Cuba - ding dong the witch is dead, time to celebrate a new era.
Pretty much. Regular, everyday travel is still banned by law, like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 12:52 AM

39,541 posts, read 47,732,905 times
NY to Cuba commercial flight schedules...
Cheap Flights from New York to Havana, CU, Cuba, from $684 Round trip from NYC to HAV

Old 04-06-2016, 12:14 AM

^^Can you show where I can actually purchase a commercial, no-strings-attached flight from the USA to Cuba? The Fare Compare site you posted doesn't seem to be doing the trick for me.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:09 PM

12,291 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
^^Can you show where I can actually purchase a commercial, no-strings-attached flight from the USA to Cuba? The Fare Compare site you posted doesn't seem to be doing the trick for me.
Didn't work for me either. Miami may have some regular "charter flights" (kind of a contradiction in terms) to Havana...after, no doubt, showing proper US government validated exemptions from the travel embargo.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:49 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,640,154 times
It's probably not what you are looking for, but you can travel to other countries and book a flight from there and go to Cuba. Or like others have mentioned, charter flights. I don't see regular commercial flights to Cuba direct from the US anytime soon. If Obama doesn't do it, the next president isn't likely.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
It's probably not what you are looking for, but you can travel to other countries and book a flight from there and go to Cuba. Or like others have mentioned, charter flights. I don't see regular commercial flights to Cuba direct from the US anytime soon. If Obama doesn't do it, the next president isn't likely.
That's an option, albeit an illegal option (or one that will likely lead to unlawful activity). People face consequences for such travel, particularly financial consequences. Not to mention that such activity can pose problems at work, depending on the kind of job that you have or may want to obtain in the future.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:09 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,149,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

My preference, if I may, is to lift the ban the exact day that old relic of a failed political system from the previous century, the cult of personality that is Fidel Castro, finally takes his dirt nap. It can't happen too soon, what is he - 90? What a great message that would send to the people of Cuba - ding dong the witch is dead, time to celebrate a new era.
Why?

Americans can fly to "Red China" very easily, every day of the week. Why should Fidel Castro (not to mention Raul) have to be dead for Americans to fly from the U.S. to Cuba?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,149,662 times
It is not yet possible to "vacation" in Cuba on a U.S. passport. At least, not without consequences. As it stands now, you have to be doing some kind of social work and keeping a daily schedule performing such work, not chilling on a beach, sipping mojitos.

These restrictions will likely end in the near future, but not if most Republican decision-makers have anything to say about it. This is not political hyperbole. Just look up what most Republican leaders and candidates have to say about the Obama administration "normalizing" relations with Cuba.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:08 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
956 posts, read 897,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Why?

Americans can fly to "Red China" very easily, every day of the week. Why should Fidel Castro (not to mention Raul) have to be dead for Americans to fly from the U.S. to Cuba?
Because China is very far from the nearest state... and the Cuban Missile Crisis probably didn't help the situation when Cuba is about 90 miles from Florida (and Havana is about 1,100 miles from DC, whereas Shanghai is about 5,700 miles from Seattle). Basically, Cuba is in our backyard, China isn't. There's a history there that involves the Soviet Union (much like the cold relations with North Korea today), and travel was permitted prior to the spread of communism. If I may be political: Americans always need something to be scared about, whether it was communism in the Cold War or ISIS, illegal immigrants and transgender people today. America loves having a bogeyman and whatever it is always "wants to destroy our way of life". In sum: communism is so 1950s.

To address the main topic: the Department of State doesn't have a set time either, as you can see in the link below. As others have mentioned, you "can" travel there through a third-party country, such as Mexico. It just requires two plane tickets (round-trip to Mexico City, and a second round-trip from Mexico City to Havana). I've known people who have gone that route, and they say immigration officials typically turn a blind eye and just don't stamp your passport. Likewise, you need to cover your tracks, such as not using anything that can trace you to Cuba, such as a credit card.

Traveling to Cuba | Havana, Cuba - Embassy of the United States

Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 AM

12,291 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Why?

I touched on the "what" in terms of what I would like to see, but really the "why" is out of scope for this discussion and this forum - take it up in the P&C forum - those discussions already exist.
Your second post, second paragraph likewise was out of line for this forum. This is "travel" not "politics".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or