U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2016, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Middle of the Pacific Ocean
11,743 posts, read 6,312,833 times
Reputation: 11569

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I have a portable Garmin with sand bag dash top mount that I keep in a bag. I program it prior to the trip with everywhere I plan to go so when I get into the rental I'm good to go.

I don't want to have to spend time learning how the Nav in a rental works and I prefer the large display of the Garman to my iPhone5 display.
I use my portable Garmin as well; its done wonders for me and I'd be lost without it. I don't have the luxury of using a phone (my phone isn't equipped for solid navigation) and I don't even have adequate data to make it worth while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2016, 10:08 PM
 
1,504 posts, read 1,628,551 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Now that the rental car agencies are NO LONGER owned by the auto manufacturers, there is a lot more thought put into the acquisition costs and the residual vehicles purchased by the agency.
Not quite....most of the rental cars are on repurchase programs with the automakers. For example, Hertz basically rents the cars from Ford or whoever else for about 9 months and then returns them back to Ford. Ford then disposes these cars at their dealer-only auctions. This is where a lot of used cars come from on a dealers lot. Some rental companies keep the cars longer but most of them are returned before ever hitting 30,000 miles.

So the rental car companies just want bare bones cars and don't worry too much about the resale values. The automakers *try* to get them to buy models and options that will hold value better but that's not easy. There are too many other automakers who will do what the rental companies want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 08:53 PM
 
14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Reputation: 20100
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Not quite....most of the rental cars are on repurchase programs with the automakers. For example, Hertz basically rents the cars from Ford or whoever else for about 9 months and then returns them back to Ford. Ford then disposes these cars at their dealer-only auctions. This is where a lot of used cars come from on a dealers lot. Some rental companies keep the cars longer but most of them are returned before ever hitting 30,000 miles.

So the rental car companies just want bare bones cars and don't worry too much about the resale values. The automakers *try* to get them to buy models and options that will hold value better but that's not easy. There are too many other automakers who will do what the rental companies want.


That was true ten years ago. However, it is not true much anymore.

For example, Hertz is far more likely to source Kias, Hyundais, Mazdas and Chevrolets these days than they are Fords. They are looking for deals and they will buy the models that the OEMs are offering at the most competitive prices.

They are also keeping the cars WELL BEYOND the 30k mark. In the past year, I have had quite a vehicles with 40-60k miles.

Furthermore, Hertz in particular is selling many of their vehicles directly. Note that they are offering the "3 day test drive" in most markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 PM
 
9,266 posts, read 11,869,671 times
Reputation: 14545
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Not quite....most of the rental cars are on repurchase programs with the automakers. For example, Hertz basically rents the cars from Ford or whoever else for about 9 months and then returns them back to Ford.
I keep getting marketing material from directly from Hertz for their used vehicle sales. In the city, they have a lot where you can just walk up and buy their former rentals and their business lease returns. They can even arrange the purchase of a vehicle from another Hertz sales lot for delivery. Apparently, all vehicles that have good resale value go straight to the sales lots and only those with issues (mostly body damage) goes to auction. A business owner I know just bought four VW Tiguan from Hertz that were rentals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 AM
 
14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Reputation: 20100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I keep getting marketing material from directly from Hertz for their used vehicle sales. In the city, they have a lot where you can just walk up and buy their former rentals and their business lease returns. They can even arrange the purchase of a vehicle from another Hertz sales lot for delivery. Apparently, all vehicles that have good resale value go straight to the sales lots and only those with issues (mostly body damage) goes to auction. A business owner I know just bought four VW Tiguan from Hertz that were rentals.

I have looked at the Hertz website quite a while. I find that their prices here in Arizona are pretty competitive and that if you want a garden variety car, they certainly have a great selection of recent model vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 AM
 
14 posts, read 5,599 times
Reputation: 16
It is interesting that rental companies are not motivated to install/buy pre-installed nav system. Wouldn't it be useful for theft prevention ? Or do they use something else for that purpose ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2016, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Fargo ND
809 posts, read 654,375 times
Reputation: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatundalexander View Post
It is interesting that rental companies are not motivated to install/buy pre-installed nav system. Wouldn't it be useful for theft prevention ? Or do they use something else for that purpose ?
they may have lojack, who knows, theft is not their concern, lost profits is, factory navi would lead to lost upselling opportunities and lost profits

rental car companies avoid built in navi as they would not be able to charge for it

furthermore, rental cars are generally base trim levels of whatever particular model they are using, base and mid trim levels do not have navi

rental companies make most of their profits on the extras you are offered at the counter: extra insurance, pre-paid gas, model upgrades... and of course navi

just use siri, the navi in your iPhone, works great, or the WAZE app works even better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 09:41 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,537,954 times
Reputation: 5309
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
they may have lojack, who knows, theft is not their concern, lost profits is, factory navi would lead to lost upselling opportunities and lost profits

rental car companies avoid built in navi as they would not be able to charge for it

furthermore, rental cars are generally base trim levels of whatever particular model they are using, base and mid trim levels do not have navi

rental companies make most of their profits on the extras you are offered at the counter: extra insurance, pre-paid gas, model upgrades... and of course navi

just use siri, the navi in your iPhone, works great, or the WAZE app works even better
Not sure how many people take them up on their NAV upgrade anymore anyways. Majority of people have smartphones so no one would be renting a stand-alone GPS unit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top