Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:20 PM

1,874 posts, read 1,313,675 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to find a built in rental car with factory installed navigation rather than to have to get that external Garmin?

Must be a way to find a rental car with factory installed Nav option no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 05:00 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,702,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Is there a way to find a built in rental car with factory installed navigation rather than to have to get that external Garmin?

Depending on the company, you may find cars with Onstar built in but there is no guarantee that they have service. What I usually do is check out the cars in my class and if there happens to be one with Onstar I activate it to see if the subscription is active. Other things to look for are cars with built in navigation screens, but I find this to be less common, also the larger SUVs usually have built in navigation. Finally Hertz usually has a navigation system in most of their cars but it is a PIA and is usually annoying to the passenger.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:00 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
Quote:

Very seldom other than on the top end luxury models.

Navigation systems do not bring a great deal of return when they are remarketed at the auction..

Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,405,920 times
Just came back from the UK where I had a Hyundai sonata wagon (called a i40t over there) as a rental, it had navigation. Apparently over there most Standard vehicles have nav. Rented through Enterprise.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:21 AM

30,457 posts, read 17,882,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Very seldom other than on the top end luxury models.

Navigation systems do not bring a great deal of return when they are remarketed at the auction..
I agree. The only time I had one in my rental is when I rented a brand new 2016 Navigator. All other "lesser end" rentals I've driven didn't have a built-in GPS system.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:13 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. The only time I had one in my rental is when I rented a brand new 2016 Navigator. All other "lesser end" rentals I've driven didn't have a built-in GPS system.

Now that the rental car agencies are NO LONGER owned by the auto manufacturers, there is a lot more thought put into the acquisition costs and the residual vehicles purchased by the agency.

In-dash navigation systems are almost a given in the $40k+ luxury market. A car without one is discounted. In the other segments, there is not a great deal of value placed on them in the used car market.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:49 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times
Or, if you have smart phone, you could just use that.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:59 PM

15,681 posts, read 20,176,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Or, if you have smart phone, you could just use that.

When I travel for business, I never get the optional GPS.

Most, if not all, rental cars these days allow you to link your phone to the car via Bluetooth. I simply link my phone, pull up Waze and get on my merry way.

My own personal car has factory GPS and I never use it anymore.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:03 PM

7,122 posts, read 9,189,329 times
I have a portable Garmin with sand bag dash top mount that I keep in a bag. I program it prior to the trip with everywhere I plan to go so when I get into the rental I'm good to go.

I don't want to have to spend time learning how the Nav in a rental works and I prefer the large display of the Garman to my iPhone5 display.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:41 PM

902 posts, read 1,092,459 times
Quote:

rental car companies avoid built in navi as they would not be able to charge for it

furthermore, rental cars are generally base trim levels of whatever particular model they are using, base and mid trim levels do not have navi

rental companies make most of their profits on the extras you are offered at the counter: extra insurance, pre-paid gas, model upgrades... and of course navi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel