U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 AM

155 posts, read 40,883 times

Advertisements

You can usually SEE bed bugs as well as feel them moving on you and see the bite marks on your arm.

I too am somewhat of a bed bug-o-phobe. I like the tarp and sleeping bag idea. I find hotel beds to be usually UNcomfy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:43 AM

9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
If I were staying in no-name motels or off brand hotels, I might be more concerned and vigilant. But the vast majority of my stays as a frequent traveler are in major chains. I'm not suggesting that the major chains aren't susceptible to bed bugs, but they have practices and procedures in place to minimize risk and mitigate infestations. You're less likely to encounter bed bugs in places like Hilton and Marriott (etc.) branded hotels.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:47 AM

888 posts, read 458,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If I were staying in no-name motels or off brand hotels, I might be more concerned and vigilant. But the vast majority of my stays as a frequent traveler are in major chains. I'm not suggesting that the major chains aren't susceptible to bed bugs, but they have practices and procedures in place to minimize risk and mitigate infestations. You're less likely to encounter bed bugs in places like Hilton and Marriott (etc.) branded hotels.
+1, this!

Old 12-12-2018, 11:52 AM

8,295 posts, read 6,147,869 times
I wouldn't worry about the wheelchair. The smart thing is to put your suitcases on top of the dresser or luggage rack.

In any case, I don't travel tons but I've probably stayed in a dozen hotels over the last year, mostly major chains but mostly more budget oriented (EconoLodge, Red Roof Inn, La Quinta...) and no bedbugs.

They are "contagious," but I don't think they're as contagious as some make them out to be.

Lots of people like Hertfordshire travel quite a bit, and don't come home with bedbugs.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:15 PM

1,823 posts, read 780,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
I have some relatives who will be traveling over the holiday and will end up having to stay in a motel/hotel. They estimate that they will have to spend one or two nights in different hotels on the way down, and one or two nights in different hotels on the way back. Should they be worried about bed bugs? I haven't mentioned anything to them because they're already stressed out. But knowing them, they're gonna have their stuff spread out all over the place in the hotel, especially if they have to spend part of the day there. One of them is in a wheelchair so that obviously has to be left on the floor. Do they need to check their mattress? Is checking that enough? There will be a total of four of them.

My guess would be that if I mention bed bugs they will either cancel their trip (someone may get mad at me) or they will choose not to inspect anything due to the hassle. They're really limited anyway because two of them are elderly and have very limited mobility. They opted not to travel by plane because they always get sick (flu, pneumonia) and end up in the hospital when flying.

I hate to be self-centered, but I'm worried about myself. If they bring home bed bugs, that puts me at risk of getting them. I've heard those things are a real pain in the butt to get rid of and costly too.
Over the past year I have stayed in probably at least 10-15 hotels. Not once have I ever encountered bed bugs. If they encounter them, they will know and you can take precautions with their suitcases when they return.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:59 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,069,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
I have some relatives who will be traveling over the holiday and will end up having to stay in a motel/hotel. They estimate that they will have to spend one or two nights in different hotels on the way down, and one or two nights in different hotels on the way back. Should they be worried about bed bugs? I haven't mentioned anything to them because they're already stressed out. But knowing them, they're gonna have their stuff spread out all over the place in the hotel, especially if they have to spend part of the day there. One of them is in a wheelchair so that obviously has to be left on the floor. Do they need to check their mattress? Is checking that enough? There will be a total of four of them.

My guess would be that if I mention bed bugs they will either cancel their trip (someone may get mad at me) or they will choose not to inspect anything due to the hassle. They're really limited anyway because two of them are elderly and have very limited mobility. They opted not to travel by plane because they always get sick (flu, pneumonia) and end up in the hospital when flying.

I hate to be self-centered, but I'm worried about myself. If they bring home bed bugs, that puts me at risk of getting them. I've heard those things are a real pain in the butt to get rid of and costly too.
I have experiences with bed bugs. There is a world wide infestation due to tourists and business people traveling and passing along the bugs when using airlines, trains, ships etc.

Warn your friends by all means. It is far better than them bringing home an infestation.

Bug spray does not kill them but very high heat does. Bed bugs do not like heat even the heat of your clothed body.

It is useless to spray your luggage before it is checked. Spraying does not exterminate nor protect from bed bugs.Checked luggage comes into contact with other people's luggage which may or may not have bed bugs on them. Those horrible things can jump. What does help is putting your luggage in plastic garbage bags and close tightly before checking in. Inside your suitcase pack your clothing in a plastic garbage bag. As you take clothes out to wear them reseal the garbage bag. Store your suitcases off of the floor, bed, or any fabric covered furniture including carpet.

Once you are in your hotel room check the seams of the mattresses including around the head of the mattress and headboard. The bugs appear to be dark brown or black tiny little beetles. An untreated infestation often form colonies amid patches of blood smears and feces. Not everyone is affected by the biting. Some people never form allergic skin reactions.

Once you get home,even if you don't see any bugs, go directly to your clothes dryer and put your traveling clothes in for at least 20 minutes in a hot setting. If high heat will ruin your garment like silk, wool, coats and jackets, then take immediately to a dry cleaner. If you have to wash your clothes upon returning do a hot water wash and dry on hot as well. Cold water wash is not recommended.

Should your home be infected only a reputable exterminator can bring hot heat fans to do the job. Every single fabric item in your house has to be put in the hot heat dryer and stored in plastic garbage bags until the extermination is completed. Dispose of mattresses in the land fill. Any spoiled mattresses must be ripped and sliced and black marker written BUGS or HAZ to warn dumpster divers from taking them home.

Be aware that bed bugs invade through furnace vents and electrical outlets and travel from apartment to apartment that way or by way of clothing worn by visitors.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:18 PM

9,776 posts, read 4,991,647 times
I don't believe it's necessary to go to many of these extremes. ^^^

Old 12-12-2018, 05:03 PM

5,225 posts, read 8,384,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I have experiences with bed bugs. There is a world wide infestation due to tourists and business people traveling and passing along the bugs when using airlines, trains, ships etc.

Warn your friends by all means. It is far better than them bringing home an infestation.

Bug spray does not kill them but very high heat does. Bed bugs do not like heat even the heat of your clothed body.

It is useless to spray your luggage before it is checked. Spraying does not exterminate nor protect from bed bugs.Checked luggage comes into contact with other people's luggage which may or may not have bed bugs on them. Those horrible things can jump. What does help is putting your luggage in plastic garbage bags and close tightly before checking in. Inside your suitcase pack your clothing in a plastic garbage bag. As you take clothes out to wear them reseal the garbage bag. Store your suitcases off of the floor, bed, or any fabric covered furniture including carpet.

Once you are in your hotel room check the seams of the mattresses including around the head of the mattress and headboard. The bugs appear to be dark brown or black tiny little beetles. An untreated infestation often form colonies amid patches of blood smears and feces. Not everyone is affected by the biting. Some people never form allergic skin reactions.

Once you get home,even if you don't see any bugs, go directly to your clothes dryer and put your traveling clothes in for at least 20 minutes in a hot setting. If high heat will ruin your garment like silk, wool, coats and jackets, then take immediately to a dry cleaner. If you have to wash your clothes upon returning do a hot water wash and dry on hot as well. Cold water wash is not recommended.

Should your home be infected only a reputable exterminator can bring hot heat fans to do the job. Every single fabric item in your house has to be put in the hot heat dryer and stored in plastic garbage bags until the extermination is completed. Dispose of mattresses in the land fill. Any spoiled mattresses must be ripped and sliced and black marker written BUGS or HAZ to warn dumpster divers from taking them home.

Be aware that bed bugs invade through furnace vents and electrical outlets and travel from apartment to apartment that way or by way of clothing worn by visitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't believe it's necessary to go to many of these extremes. ^^^
Based on my granddaughter's experience this past summer, if you have a real infestation, you will be doing all that and more.

After 2 months of trying "home remedies" (sprays, mattress cover, traps, etc) with no effect, they called in exterminator. Three trips & $2000 later (and all the high heat treating of clothes and bedding), the bugs are gone. The whole time she was being bit, we only saw three dead bugs. They are good at hiding.

We surmise she brought them home from college, although she had no bites while there.

Whether you try D-I-Y, or a local exterminator, we found this website to be most informative.
How To Get Rid of Bed Bugs Fast

May you never have the need.........

Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 PM

5,431 posts, read 2,756,099 times
I agree. I's far easier to deal with the prevention than anything you have to do if you actually have bedbugs. Take that as gospel.

A word of advice, though. If you bring in your clothes to be dry cleaned, it would be considered polite to warn the cleaners that you may have bedbugs on your clothes. If they don't know, they may spread them to everyone else who has their clothes there.

Also understand that if you have computers or modems, bedbugs can be in there as well. I dealt with that by putting my computer and electronics into my car last summer and moving the car into direct sun for a couple days when the temp was supposed to be in the 90s. It's probably not something you should do with computers, but mine seemed to be OK afterward. It was also 12 years years old and I was replacing it soon anyway. LOL

Keep in mind that occasional checking for bedbugs should always be done. Like lice, you can pick them up from anywhere other people have been. That includes doctors' offices, movie theaters, you name it.

There have been a couple bedbug infestations where I live and while we (supposedly) don't have any in the building now, when I move out, I plan to store my things in a shed on my property and once everything's in there, I will still have someone from Terminex come out and spray the daylights out of everything I own. I plan to put a camper on my property as well, and that will be doubly sprayed before I move into it.

Been there, don't want to go through it again.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:27 PM

577 posts, read 168,859 times
here's some advice from a good article I found at The Onion:

Bed bugs are a common issue, especially in cities, and getting rid of them can be difficult, time-consuming, and expensive. The Onion presents tips for treating a bed bug infestation.

Come to terms with the fact that your body is but a warm, meaty trough.

Open your window and shout, “Somebody, please, help me!”

Wear thick, long-sleeved pajamas to bed so that the bugs are nice and warm.

Try luring the bed bugs away by placing a trail of furniture leading out of your apartment.

Use reverse psychology on the bed bugs by sleeping in your bed anyway and constantly talking out loud about how comfortable you are.

Get a mattress-sized plastic bag with airtight sealing; sleep in it from now on.

Accept that bed bugs are one of the less glamorous parts of living in a big city, like riding the subway and failing to achieve your dreams.

During fumigation, make plans to spend the week in your non-bed-bug-affected home.

Make sure the exterminators keep one bed bug alive so that you can send it away with firm instructions to tell the others what it saw.

see more at the onion.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel