U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times

Advertisements

One of my friends took in her Grand Daughter who became homeless...

Grand Daughter had moved to Las Vegas with her boyfriend and she was couch surfing and sleeping where ever she could when her boyfriend kicked her out.

She arrived at Grandma's with two suitcases totaling her worldly possessions...

Well... Grandma who is a meticulous housekeeper soon had a Bed Bug infestation... her Grand Daughter actually had bite marks but didn't know from what.

Spent over 4k in two treatments plus new mattresses, etc...

Just saying... not a big deal until it happens to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 08:56 PM

6,313 posts, read 3,576,034 times
I have been bit twice. Once on a high end ocean liner cruise and another time in a brand new home with five apartments in a tropical jungle.

The first time they came home with me. You do not want them. The second time I lived for a few days in a cloud of bug spray and with my skin covered with repellent.

I still have some small but permanent scars from the itching. And the itching will make your vacation uncomfortable not to mention difficult to feel comfortable in bed.

Considering that I travel quite a bit I consider myself fortunate.

Here are a few products recommended for travelers who are serious about avoiding them. I like the idea of the zippered mattress cover.

Bed Bug Mattress Covers & Encasements

Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 PM

5,549 posts, read 3,697,368 times
It is pretty easy. When you check-in turn down your bed and look for the buggers, and if still not convinced check the mattress as well. Better to catch it at check-in rather than check-out where you will likely get an argument.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 PM

4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
I don't. I flop in the cheapest beds I can find, mostly in the third world, and I've never encountered one.

Everybody knows someone who has met bedbugs, and a hundred people who haven't. The odds are in your favor.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:49 PM

37,995 posts, read 55,769,955 times
General advise: make sure you do some research, and chose a reputable hotel, then check it for bugs.
I travel a lot, and have never encounter any bed bugs... get good hotels, check the sheets.
How? Explained here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/43625457-post7.html
That was already discussed on many other threads:
Hotels dirty secrets...
Any tips for avoiding bed bugs in motels? [MERGED]
Bed Bug Paranoia
I Think this is Great a Bed Bug Registry Site <<< yes! check it!
Bedbugs!
The Bedbug Factor
Bedbugs
Anyone run across bedbugs yet?
Anyone else too nervous to travel due to bed bug explosion?
True or urban legend?
Help ! I brought bedbugs home from my hotel room !

How many threads we need about the same topic?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:54 AM

4,417 posts, read 1,644,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty108 View Post
Does anyone here have any personal tips? I was wondering if a sleep-sheet might help. Thanks.
What kinda hotels/motels you plan to stay in? The $25 per hour ones? hehe jk

I think just carry some sort of beg bug killing spray that has a good feedback by consumers.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:57 AM

4,417 posts, read 1,644,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homi View Post
You can usually SEE bed bugs as well as feel them moving on you and see the bite marks on your arm.

I too am somewhat of a bed bug-o-phobe. I like the tarp and sleeping bag idea. I find hotel beds to be usually UNcomfy.
But then how do you get into the bed when you already “see” the bugs crawling around in it?
That requires quite a courage and resilience!

Old 12-13-2018, 06:44 AM

4,887 posts, read 1,226,778 times
The only time I ever had an incident was when I stayed in a Waldorf Astoria (4 star hotel). I noticed three dime sized red marks on my back and did some research and found this is a common bite pattern for bedbugs. I then read the reviews and a couple of other posters mentioned them. Hotel claimed they searched the room and didn't find anything but I convinced them to give me a refund anyway. They knew.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:38 AM

4,127 posts, read 3,784,506 times
YES!!!!!! Bedbugs are an expensive nightmare. They're spreading like crazy. Talk to the relatives first. If the relatives don't have to stay with you, great.

They should put all their luggage in the bathroom, preferably in the tub when it's not in use. Bedbugs hang out near beds and couches, so they won't be in the bathroom, and they cannot crawl up sides of tubs.

Bedbugs were ubiquitous before DDT. They are back in force now, having been brought in by immigrants and travelers from 3rd world countries. Yes, you will find them more often in places where poor people stay, but they can be found in the most expensive hotels, too. Everything you ever wanted to know about the nightmare of bedbugs can be found on the website

bedbugger.com

Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM

13,677 posts, read 13,594,180 times
look up the hotel on bedbugregistry.com

There are a couple of other sites that take bedbug reports too. I've stayed in places that were reported as having bedbugs, but I took precautions and came away ok.

The one time I didn't look the hotel up on the registry I ended up being devoured and having to change hotels. I basically checked every seam on every bag and piece of clothing before checking out of that place though, so I didn't bring any with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel