U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 AM

66 posts, read 49,232 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have any personal tips? I was wondering if a sleep-sheet might help. Thanks.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-13-2018 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Merged two threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 09:12 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,971,816 times
I spread a tarp over the bed and sleep in my own sleeping bag on top of it.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
While being bitten by bedbugs is nasty, it's taking them home as hitchhikers which is the real nightmare you want to avoid at all costs, as they are extremely hard to eradicate. Put your luggage in the bathroom when you check into the room; it's tiled, and the least likely place for bedbugs to hang out. NEVER put your luggage on the bed. Do a thorough search for bedbug signs as soon as you enter the room, and if you find evidence of the bugs' presence, leave at once!

Old 04-06-2016, 02:03 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Don't stay in the type of places that you referred to in the above post.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:46 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Don't stay in the type of places that you referred to in the above post.
These days you can get bedbugs anywhere, even 5-star properties that cost hundreds of dollars a night. Some destinations (such as New York City) are notorious for them. The best you can do is check the room out carefully; never simply assume that because a place is fancy it's going to be bedbug free!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 PM

9,798 posts, read 5,008,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
These days you can get bedbugs anywhere, even 5-star properties that cost hundreds of dollars a night. Some destinations (such as New York City) are notorious for them. The best you can do is check the room out carefully; never simply assume that because a place is fancy it's going to be bedbug free!
Yes, any hotel can get bedbugs, but the better hotels (particularly the big name chains) are more likely to act swiftly to rectify the situation and eliminate the problem.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 PM

37,989 posts, read 55,756,232 times
When staying in a hotel it is a good idea to inspect your room for bed bugs as soon as you arrive. You don't want to unpack or settle in until you have checked to see if there are bed bugs in your room.
Put your luggage in the bathtub when you arrive. Then inspect your bed.
How? - read here:
Inspecting Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs - Let's Beat the Bed Bug!
https://membracid.wordpress.com/2008...-for-bed-bugs/ click on words in red for additional info and pictures
15 Tips for Avoiding Hotel Bedbugs | Fox News Magazine
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/public...ers_online.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tnOrYqKpmpI

Any suspicious marking or evidence of bugs should be enough to warrant a new room, and when it comes to a bedbug scare, hotel staff should be more than willing to oblige. Request that your new room be at least two floors away from the initial room, since chances are good that the bugs may spread via the wallboards or electrical sockets.

Happy travel!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:50 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,872,345 times
Always check before unpacking. I live in Las Vegas and attended a bedbug conference one time. The speaker said that about 30% of the rooms in Las Vegas could be infected at any one time, and many of the hotels are the biggest on the strip. Considering we have over 270,000 rooms in Las Vegas, that means that at any time possibly up to 90,000 rooms are infected.

Here's a website to check things out. It's not 100%, but it can steer you away from hotels that are repeat offenders.

Bed Bug Reports

Old 04-09-2016, 12:15 PM

5,269 posts, read 2,702,259 times
It's simple . Upon checking in . Inspect the room .bedbuga like hiding under mattresses . Behind paintings . Under tables . You will be able to find evidence ...

Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM

11,683 posts, read 6,286,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
While being bitten by bedbugs is nasty, it's taking them home as hitchhikers which is the real nightmare you want to avoid at all costs, as they are extremely hard to eradicate. Put your luggage in the bathroom when you check into the room; it's tiled, and the least likely place for bedbugs to hang out. NEVER put your luggage on the bed. Do a thorough search for bedbug signs as soon as you enter the room, and if you find evidence of the bugs' presence, leave at once!
Right. And that's the only thing that you can really "control," IMO. Whenever I'm at a hotel or motel (and the last hotel I stayed at definitely had bedbugs), I always try to keep my clothes in their suitcases and place the suitcases on a rack/desk/stand (just anywhere off the floors or beds). And I NEVER put my clothes in dresser drawers at the hotels (hang them up if you must, but avoid putting them into the drawers!). As bedbugs are clumsy climbers on smooth surfaces, I've found that this works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel