U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 03:38 PM

32,461 posts, read 16,623,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may have jumped the gun and reserved a place to stay in Amsterdam BEFORE booking my flight. Big mistake, as I'll lose half of my deposit if I don't go. The problem is I'm trying to use airmiles for this trip and coming back from Sweden isn't working out to well. Not sure what I'm going to do now...
Well, is Stockholm a must, or are you open to other metropolises? Amsterdam is reasonably close to interesting cities by train. Paris is 3.20 hrs away with the Thalys, for instance. Brussels is closer (But go to Paris. Brussels is boring.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:20 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may have jumped the gun and reserved a place to stay in Amsterdam BEFORE booking my flight. Big mistake, as I'll lose half of my deposit if I don't go. The problem is I'm trying to use airmiles for this trip and coming back from Sweden isn't working out to well. Not sure what I'm going to do now...
Two suggestions (to supplement the one Dane in LA has already made):

1. Can you change the start date of your trip, and go to Stockholm first? Then you could fly back from Amsterdam.

2. What other cities can you reach easily from Stockholm? Can you find a frequent flyer flight from one of those?

I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way that when working with frequent flyer miles, you should ALWAYS book the tickets first! Also, it's generally best to book two one-way tickets instead of one round-trip one, as it gives you more options: fly over with miles from Airline A and back with miles from Airline B, use miles for one direction and buy a one-way cash ticket for the other direction, fly Economy Class one direction and Business or First Class the other, etc. If you can find a frequent flyer flight over, book it now as a one-way while the flight's still available, and you can keep looking for an acceptable flight back. Seats released to frequent flyer programs don't generally last long!

Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,749,284 times
Live and learn (on the booking sequence) - do flights first if you are using miles, then figure out what other cities / side trips you may want to take, then book accomodations.

I was solo male traveler and have been to Amsterdam, so depending on your likes / interests / cadence to travel (are you a rush to see a lot? Or willing to plan lightly and meander the day as it unfolds with a few planned must dos at your own tempo?) adjust accordingly.

As Markg mentioned, museums and sights are easily seen walking or bicycling. I would recommend getting a 3 or 4 day pass for all public transit as it is a great deal with discounts on museums (if that's your thing). I will advise you to beware of the bicyclists as the locals are familiar and zip around in flow with traffic and it may take some time to get used to (I nearly got taken out by a cyclist). They are very prevalent in the old town and it is often distracting as you see naturally beautiful women of all ages zipping around on cobblestone streets. This makes walking around a delight.

An abridged poem that was inspired by my visit:
Cobblestone streets, bicycle seats,
Puppies on walks, pidgeons for hawks,
the cutest puppies I see
Are bouncing on bicycle seats
Ore cobblestone streets.

Before I went, I reviewed guide books and watched a few travelogues (Rick Steve's does a good job) to give me a sense of those things I definitely wanted to see. Do take the canal boat tour as it is a great perspective of the city to see its development over the centuries. Some of the museums I'd recommend as you wander:

Van Gogh (highly recommend )
Pierson Museum of Archeology ( I kept thinking if one of the Caryatid pillar examples would come to life she'd be a perfect Amazon specimen!)
Hermitage Museum has traveling exhibits (check out what is there when you visit)
Huis Masseille Photography museum.
De Burcht Trade Union museum (I was unduly influenced by the attractive women who was in the meeting room and then gave me a brief personal history - you never know what you may encounter)
Hortus Botanicus (botanical gardens close to the Zoo)
The Old Church and New Church.
Old Church has famous "Red Door" in their culture the phrase, "going through the red door" meant taking out a marriage license (above is written, "Marry In Haste, Repent at leisure")
Rijksmuseum more for the 'people watching' outside on the grounds of the 'museumplein'

If you are interested in Red Light District, it's easy to piggyback on to a tour group and hear most of its history. Here's an old post.
Have you ever been approached by a street prostitute?

You'll smell the stank of the 'coffeehouses' - as you wander around the narrow cobblestone streets it can be funny if you pass one with karaoke - listen to people make fools of selves.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:44 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,815,344 times
I've been to both (on my own also), actually was in Amsterdam twice. Both are great cities with a lot to do and see. I don't have much to add as far as itineraries. No need to stress out. English is widely spoken and both have great transportation. I think I like Amsterdam slightly more, but again both are worth seeing. Enjoy!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:10 PM

4,427 posts, read 4,292,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Live and learn (on the booking sequence) - do flights first if you are using miles, then figure out what other cities / side trips you may want to take, then book accomodations.

I was solo male traveler and have been to Amsterdam, so depending on your likes / interests / cadence to travel (are you a rush to see a lot? Or willing to plan lightly and meander the day as it unfolds with a few planned must dos at your own tempo?) adjust accordingly.

As Markg mentioned, museums and sights are easily seen walking or bicycling. I would recommend getting a 3 or 4 day pass for all public transit as it is a great deal with discounts on museums (if that's your thing). I will advise you to beware of the bicyclists as the locals are familiar and zip around in flow with traffic and it may take some time to get used to (I nearly got taken out by a cyclist). They are very prevalent in the old town and it is often distracting as you see naturally beautiful women of all ages zipping around on cobblestone streets. This makes walking around a delight.

An abridged poem that was inspired by my visit:
Cobblestone streets, bicycle seats,
Puppies on walks, pidgeons for hawks,
the cutest puppies I see
Are bouncing on bicycle seats
Ore cobblestone streets.

Before I went, I reviewed guide books and watched a few travelogues (Rick Steve's does a good job) to give me a sense of those things I definitely wanted to see. Do take the canal boat tour as it is a great perspective of the city to see its development over the centuries. Some of the museums I'd recommend as you wander:

Van Gogh (highly recommend )
Pierson Museum of Archeology ( I kept thinking if one of the Caryatid pillar examples would come to life she'd be a perfect Amazon specimen!)
Hermitage Museum has traveling exhibits (check out what is there when you visit)
Huis Masseille Photography museum.
De Burcht Trade Union museum (I was unduly influenced by the attractive women who was in the meeting room and then gave me a brief personal history - you never know what you may encounter)
Hortus Botanicus (botanical gardens close to the Zoo)
The Old Church and New Church.
Old Church has famous "Red Door" in their culture the phrase, "going through the red door" meant taking out a marriage license (above is written, "Marry In Haste, Repent at leisure")
Rijksmuseum more for the 'people watching' outside on the grounds of the 'museumplein'

If you are interested in Red Light District, it's easy to piggyback on to a tour group and hear most of its history. Here's an old post.
Have you ever been approached by a street prostitute?

You'll smell the stank of the 'coffeehouses' - as you wander around the narrow cobblestone streets it can be funny if you pass one with karaoke - listen to people make fools of selves.
Great ideas! And yes, because I was planning on being in Amsterdam 6 days (probably about 2 days too long, I was going to meander for sure. I'd also like to find some Psilocybin. If you don't know what that is, do a google search. One of my big reasons for going there, as I hope i will change my outlook on life. Stockholm was an afterthought initially, but after reading about how great it is for a single American male, I'm all in. Open to other equally good cities though for American men to meet women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I've been to both (on my own also), actually was in Amsterdam twice. Both are great cities with a lot to do and see. I don't have much to add as far as itineraries. No need to stress out. English is widely spoken and both have great transportation. I think I like Amsterdam slightly more, but again both are worth seeing. Enjoy!
Do you think 6 days is a little excessive?

Old 04-14-2016, 06:10 AM

56,056 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I can't speak to Stockholm, but I'm sure someone else here will do that.

With respect to Amsterdam consider the following:

1. Tour the Anne Frank House. Its amazing the lengths that Otto Frank went through to find a safe place for his family and some friends to hide. It almost worked too. It was only discovered near the end of the war.

2. The Van Gogh Museum. Vincent Van Gogh was one of the more interesting artists that ever lived. He died before he sold a single painting and regarded himself as a failure. See his Impressionist art.

3. The Rijks Museum. A museum full of traditional and famous Dutch art. Think Rembrandt.

4. Canal Boat Cruise. This will be obvious to you once you see just how much of Amsterdam is a series of canals.

5. Just go walking through the alleys and streets that make up Amsterdam. Just seeing all these shops and people walking around is a treat in and of itself.

6. Consider taking a day trip into the countryside. The ones that are really worthwhile take you to see the windmills, the fishing villages, and the farms.

Here are some other options: If you like bike riding, there is no place in the world better suited for than Amsterdam. Its easy to rent a bike to get around. However, the public transit is easy to use too. Amsterdam is a city that you never need a taxi if you will show the slightest bit of ingenuity. If you want to try totally legal marijuana and hash, than look for a sign that says "Kaffeehaus". Don't worry about language issues. English is commonly spoken in the Netherlands--along with other foreign languages. The Dutch are among some of the most friendly, accommodating, and nice people I have met during four trips to Europe.

Amsterdam was a city I truly enjoyed. We spent three days there.
I agree with this except, dammit, we didn't have time for the Anne Frank House and the lines were too long. Don't miss Van Gogh. And if you happen to be a vegetarian, get the hemp burger and some tomato soup at the kiosk in the green area between the Rijks Museum and the Van Gogh.

Do the Sandemann's Walking Tours in any city you visit! I highly recommend this. You just show up along with everyone else--they meet at a central location and the tour guides have big red umbrellas. Sometimes the tour is free, but you are expected to tip the guide. If it's a paid tour, you can tip smaller. The walking tours are the absolute best way to learn a lot and see a lot and decide what you want to see more of later. I did the Alternative Amsterdam tour, which was great. There's also a Red Light District tour.

Ate at a good Italian place in Amsterdam called Sergio's, near Dam Square.

I haven't been to Stockholm, but I suggest the walking tours there, too. I met up with my daughter in Amsterdam after she'd been bouncing around Europe alone. She was in Prague, Vienna, and Munich, and she was the one who turned me on to the walking tours. We did two each in Paris and London, too.

There are a lot of single people, including women, traveling through Europe on their own. (I am in my 50s and was usually the oldest person on the tour group.) Many are in their 20s like my daughter, but we met one 40-year-old in Amsterdam on the tour and went to the coffeehouse and for drinks later with her. She'd lost her job, a LTR had ended, and she just decided to go to Europe for a few months all by herself.

Have a great time and come back and tell us what you did.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:16 AM

56,056 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Great ideas! And yes, because I was planning on being in Amsterdam 6 days (probably about 2 days too long, I was going to meander for sure. I'd also like to find some Psilocybin. If you don't know what that is, do a google search. One of my big reasons for going there, as I hope i will change my outlook on life. Stockholm was an afterthought initially, but after reading about how great it is for a single American male, I'm all in. Open to other equally good cities though for American men to meet women.

You go to a store called a Smart Shop for the psilocybin. They are everywhere. Six days sounds great. You can take one and do a country tour as someone said. I only had three days in Amsterdam and want to go back.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,815,344 times
Quote:

No, I don't think it's excessive at all. One thing I forgot to mention that I'd recommend doing in Amsterdam is renting a bike to get around. Unlike most U.S. cities, Amsterdam is very bike friendly and has bike lanes on most roads. It's a really great way to see the see at your own pace.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,147,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, is Stockholm a must, or are you open to other metropolises? Amsterdam is reasonably close to interesting cities by train. Paris is 3.20 hrs away with the Thalys, for instance. Brussels is closer (But go to Paris. Brussels is boring.)
I agree with Dane. Amsterdam and Stockholm are kind of an odd combo. You might have a better time going to Amsterdam and then working your way south. Paris is a must, but the Dutch countryside is also pretty charming. You can also make stops in Brugges (cool medieval city, sure to blow the mind of the average American) on your way to Paris. If you do want to go to Stockholm, cool .. you should. There's a reason why so many people on this thread have been to Amsterdam but not Stockholm. Stockholm is a lot pricier and harder to get to. If you do go, you'll be somewhat unique in the American tourist department.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:06 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,147,169 times
Quote:
Amsterdam is a great city, Atl. I think the Netherlands is my favorite country outside of the US, but yes .. six days is excessive. I'm an American, but I live close to Amsterdam and visit often. Six days is too much. Three days is awesome -- four days is still awesome. After that, you realize it's a pretty small city ... unless you're really into getting blazed. Then hell, just move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or