U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 05:31 AM

4,426 posts, read 4,292,113 times

Advertisements

Great suggestions everyone! Maybe I won't go to Stockholm, as much as I want to go to a place that loves Americans, it seems like a lot of work. Maybe I could end my trip in Paris or something, but I've always thought Paris is a place I would do with a woman. Need to give this some more thought. If I have about 10 days (including travel time, which I will lose 2 days), what should my next stop be after Amsterdam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 06:46 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Consider Bruges (if you want lovely old architecture) or Berlin (for a lively modern city).

Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Great suggestions everyone! Maybe I won't go to Stockholm, as much as I want to go to a place that loves Americans, it seems like a lot of work. Maybe I could end my trip in Paris or something, but I've always thought Paris is a place I would do with a woman. Need to give this some more thought. If I have about 10 days (including travel time, which I will lose 2 days), what should my next stop be after Amsterdam?
Maybe you'll meet a woman at the hostel.

Do your roommates a favour, don't have sex in the room while other people are sleeping, it's annoying.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:05 AM

9,193 posts, read 9,271,792 times
Quote:
Definitely do Paris anyway. Take in all the sights and than someday you can come back with your wife or girlfriend. There will always be disagreement, but Paris has been my favorite city of all those I have visited so far in Europe. In Paris you can climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower, tour Notre Dame Cathedral, walk the Champ Elysee, photograph the Arc Triumph, visit Mont Martre and the Sacre Couer Cathedral, and definitely visit the Louvre Museum. If you like Impressionist Art than also visit the Orsay Museum. Just think though if you see all those things on your own, how impressed your wife or girlfriend will be when you bring her back and take her straight to all the highlights.

As far as a third city goes, the suggestion about Bruges (in Belgium) was a good one. I don't know if I would want to spend three days there though. I might consider adding London to the tour. London and Paris are only about two and one-half hours apart now by the train, Eurostar.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:27 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,113,390 times
IF you get to Bruges, take the train the rest of the way to Ostend and try to find the apartment where Marvin Gaye lived late in his life. That's on my bucket list, anyway.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:56 PM

4,426 posts, read 4,292,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Maybe you'll meet a woman at the hostel.

Do your roommates a favour, don't have sex in the room while other people are sleeping, it's annoying.
I am far too old to stay in a hostel, so that's not happening. I did research it for the heck of it, and no way.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:46 PM

14,477 posts, read 17,347,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
In NL most residents speak better English then most American's. I was in an ethnic resteraunt there where the owners and waiters only spoke there ethnic language.

The irony is...truly amazing...

Old 04-29-2016, 08:59 AM

3,804 posts, read 2,681,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
one must do activity, for both cities and virtually for any other place you want to go... get a guide book, read it, and select the activities that match your interests.
Agreed. Or look at Huffington Post for the "best things to do in (insert city name)". I used to think those were just routine tourist trap ideas but have changed my mind after giving those lists a shot. (I'm more than averagely-traveled with over 25 countries visited and I like digging deep into the local culture, so I'm not what you'd call a novice.) Or just start with Wikitravel.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I may have jumped the gun and reserved a place to stay in Amsterdam BEFORE booking my flight. Big mistake, as I'll lose half of my deposit if I don't go. The problem is I'm trying to use airmiles for this trip and coming back from Sweden isn't working out to well. Not sure what I'm going to do now...
You can PM me and I can try to help you out. Or we can hash it out here for all others to benefit if you provide the details. Booking non-cancelable hotels is a rookie mistake that everyone makes the first time, but maybe C-D's collective wisdom can figure it out. Helpful here would be your current booking details (name of hotel, site you booked from, booking terms), dates, departure/arrival cities and your preferred airlines.

Also, it would be helpful if you told us about the stuff you generally enjoy. Both Stockholm and Amsterdam are fairly diverse, if not particularly large, so there's a variety of activities on offer and if you spend enough time in both, you can cover a lot of ground, but it's fairly pointless to send you all over the place if we don't know what you're after. I'll give you an example - one of my most favorite things to do is planespotting (I'm an introvert as well and it's almost like meditation for me, although I'm a total pansy as a flyer, so go figure that one out), but if that kind of stuff doesn't interest you, pointing you to a location outside a McDonald's near Schiphol Airport from where you can see all kinds of metal land is going to be fairly useless.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Also, it's generally best to book two one-way tickets instead of one round-trip one, as it gives you more options: fly over with miles from Airline A and back with miles from Airline B, use miles for one direction and buy a one-way cash ticket for the other direction, fly Economy Class one direction and Business or First Class the other, etc.
True, but with a caveat. If you book two one-way tickets, you are going to get hit with higher taxes leaving Europe. As an example, a Detroit-Frankfurt-Detroit flight will cost you xxx miles and $99 in taxes whereas booking it as two separate legs will likely cost you the same amount of miles (not always, depends on the airline, because many would like to lock you in coming and going rather than risk you taking the return flight on another airline and having that seat potentially remain unsold), but, while the taxes from Detroit to Frankfurt are a measly $5.60, return taxes are 240 EUR, so, over 2.5x times what you would pay with an RT ticket. Still, the flexibility (especially that of returning from another country) may be worth it in some cases, but it's worth knowing the different costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or