Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:15 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,102,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Great ideas! And yes, because I was planning on being in Amsterdam 6 days (probably about 2 days too long, I was going to meander for sure. I'd also like to find some Psilocybin. If you don't know what that is, do a google search. One of my big reasons for going there, as I hope i will change my outlook on life.
Yeah, I would say probably not. I'd focus on this trip as an opportunity for self-reflection rather than a chemically altered worldview.
Quote:
Do you think 6 days is a little excessive?
Depends on what you're after. I could find things to do for two weeks in Amsterdam without much trouble (and I've been there at least half a dozen times). Six days there could be a good first experience provided you don't run out of ideas in the first two, but even if you do, there's plenty to see outside of the city.
Quote:
Stockholm was an afterthought initially, but after reading about how great it is for a single American male, I'm all in. Open to other equally good cities though for American men to meet women.
To what end? If you're looking for a quick lay, that's one thing (and Amsterdam will be happy to oblige), but if not, what are you trying to do, get into a long-distance relationship with a girl you will meet for a few days in Europe? This kind of goal is usually doomed to failure, to be honest. American men might be a draw in places like Russia (provided you have money), but we aren't really all that sought-after in Western Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Consider Bruges (if you want lovely old architecture)
So much yes to this. A haven for an introvert, to boot. You literally don't have to talk to ANYONE there (although you should, as the people are lovely) - can just walk around solo all day long and take in the views. Could be a bit challenging to get to from Amsterdam despite what the map may suggest but so worth it.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I am far too old to stay in a hostel, so that's not happening. I did research it for the heck of it, and no way.
How old are you if you don't mind my asking?

Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,271,338 times
Amsterdam is a great city - the only city in Europe I wouldn't mind living full-time if the opportunity presented itself. I also adored Bruges.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:40 PM

10,336 posts, read 7,920,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Could be a bit challenging to get to from Amsterdam despite what the map may suggest but so worth it.
The last time I was there (several years ago), you could easily get to Bruges from Amsterdam by train. It took a couple of hours, but it was an easy and fun trip. Of course things could have changed since the last time I was there, so the OP should check the current train schedules on the Deutsche Bahn website first if he finds Bruges of interest.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The last time I was there (several years ago), you could easily get to Bruges from Amsterdam by train. It took a couple of hours, but it was an easy and fun trip. Of course things could have changed since the last time I was there, so the OP should check the current train schedules on the Deutsche Bahn website first if he finds Bruges of interest.
What I meant was that as the crow flies, Bruges is a lot closer to Amsterdam than it actually takes by transport. It's by no means a long trip, but a drive takes around 3 hours as you're going around the ports.

Why DB for a route that doesn't cross into Germany? https://www.nsinternational.nl/en/tr...sinternational is the Dutch site and has an English page.

Looks like 3 hours with at least 1 change. Not sure how you were able to make it in two...

Old 04-29-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Why DB for a route that doesn't cross into Germany?
Because DB's website covers just about every train route in western and central Europe (even if those trains don't go anywhere near Germany).

Last edited by Aredhel; 04-29-2016 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Because DB's website covers just about every train route in western and central Europe (even of those trains don't go anywhere near Germany).
Makes sense, but it's still not the most intuitive place to go. I wouldn't go to Canadian VIA Rail for a trip from Detroit to Chicago even if it had this information.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Makes sense, but it's still not the most intuitive place to go. I wouldn't go to Canadian VIA Rail for a trip from Detroit to Chicago even if it had this information.
No, it's not the most intuitive, but once you know about that particular feature of DB, it makes the site very useful. It's one-stop shopping for train schedules. You don't have to know the name of the country's train company (or companies if there's more than one train service), or whether that country's train company has an English-language version of their website. You can learn all that from DB (and in many cases, you can also buy your tickets there, too).

Edited to Add: In 2011, I had to buy a train ticket from Budapest to Vienna. A Hungarian friend had warned me to buy the ticket in advance, since that particular train can sell out. After much fumbling around, I did manage to find an English-language page for Mav (the Hungarian train company) but they didn't allow purchase with a foreign credit card. I popped over to the DB website, found the train I wanted (which did not pass through Germany) and bought my ticket through DB, easy-peasy. Knowing the DB trick can in handy that day!

Old 04-30-2016, 06:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,644 posts, read 57,711,301 times
No fear on ticket connections using miles, you can get about anywhere in Europe for a €15 Ryan air ticket. Pick a city and go. Rental cars can be cheap if you prefer country life to city.

Trains are often very expensive.

Hostels are pretty civil for old guys, but I prefer $20/ night guest homes. (been in 4 this week)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel