U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:36 AM

3,804 posts, read 2,686,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
No fear on ticket connections using miles, you can get about anywhere in Europe for a 15 Ryan air ticket.
One caveat there - often the airports Ryanair uses are far outside the city of destination (Frankfurt, for example) and it takes quite a bit of time (not to mention some money for buses/trains, etc) to get to the main city. If you're OK touring the countryside, though, it could work.
Quote:
Hostels are pretty civil for old guys, but I prefer $20/ night guest homes. (been in 4 this week)
That's interesting - how do you find them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 12:41 PM

56,186 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I am far too old to stay in a hostel, so that's not happening. I did research it for the heck of it, and no way.
I stayed at airbnb studio apartments in both Amsterdam and Paris.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:26 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,945,286 times
When in the fall? We spent a week in Stockholm a few years ago in mid-September - and all of the tourist things - including museums - were on the verge/of in the process of going to (much shorter) winter hours or simply closing down until the spring. We happened to have extraordinary weather the week we were there - 6 great sunny cool days - and 1 super rainy cold one. I was told we were very lucky.

The hotels in Stockholm aren't that expensive compared to other European capitals like London or Paris. But food - especially middle of the road food - is (curiously - the higher end restaurants are a relative bargain). Alcohol is super expensive (bring in your duty free allowance) - cigarettes too (bring in your duty free allowance of those as well). Taxis are very expensive as well.

We got a very good deal for our trip with something called the Stockholm card (we got 2 6 day cards). Which gave us free admissions to all of the major and minor museums and tourist attractions (none of those is cheap a la carte either) - as well as unlimited use of public transit. Unfortunately - the Stockholm card was discontinued on 12/31/15.

If you wind up keeping Stockholm in your itinerary - I'd be glad to give you some sightseeing suggestions. Note that everyone we met there was friendly and spoke excellent English (although my husband learned some Swedish before we went - just to be polite ). As for the social life - I don't know. I bring most of my social life along when I travel (my husband ). And - when we encountered locals - they tended to be more people our age (older). Like a bunch of dentists staying in our hotel for a Swedish dental convention. As for the women - my husband told me that every time he saw a truly outrageously beautiful woman in Sweden - she turned out to be Norwegian. Just FWIW. I don't pay much attention to those things <shrug>.

Note that I would be wary of both drugs and sex in unfamiliar places/with unfamiliar people. You never know if/when you'll be targeted for something other than a good time. Or whether you might wind up with a bad load of sh** - or come home with an unwelcome disease. So be careful. If I was interested in "drug tourism" (I'm not) and was an amateur - I might try a more local place like Colorado first.

FWIW - as a child of the 60's - I am familiar with the class of drugs you're talking about. A folly of my youth. As someone with personal experience - I would be scared out of my mind to "take a drug trip" in a foreign place with people I don't know (things can get weird enough at home with people you do know). Also note that most psilocybins are still illegal for tourists in the Netherlands (they're considered "hard drugs"):

Amsterdam drugs, Amsterdam drug laws

In addition - since most psilocybins are natural as opposed to synthetic manufactured products - you often don't know exactly what you're getting (there's a warning to this effect on the link above).

So - you might wind up with unforeseen medical issues - as well as legal issues too.

Robyn

Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM

8,270 posts, read 11,130,236 times
In both Sweden and Scotland I have found tourist attractions closing down in mid-August. Check before you go if you have specfic sites in mind.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:56 AM

4,451 posts, read 4,300,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I stayed at airbnb studio apartments in both Amsterdam and Paris.
I have a bed and breakfast in Amsterdam, which is the #1 rated in the city. B and B seems weird for a single guy by himself, but it wasn't too pricey, so I did it. As for Paris, I haven't looked yet. These guys have me thinking about Bruges now, so we'll see. Definitely would cut my Amsterdam stay from 6 days to 4 and then go somewhere else. If Paris, at least I could fly back to the States easily vs coming back from Stockholm, which seems impossible.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Looking at a map, It might make sense to Amsterdam, then to Bruges for a couple of days, and then Paris. Fly back to the U.S. from Paris.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:33 PM

3,804 posts, read 2,686,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Looking at a map, It might make sense to Amsterdam, then to Bruges for a couple of days, and then Paris. Fly back to the U.S. from Paris.
That's a good itinerary. Being in OKC, you're at a bit of a disadvantage because there are no direct flights to the continent from there, but depending on what mileage program you're part of, you can either go through Atlanta on Delta or Dallas on American fairly easily.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
That's a good itinerary. Being in OKC, you're at a bit of a disadvantage because there are no direct flights to the continent from there, but depending on what mileage program you're part of, you can either go through Atlanta on Delta or Dallas on American fairly easily.
Yeah, living in OKC sucks, but thats a topic for another day. I'm trying to move back to Atlanta, which would make travel much easier.

So the plan is to go in September around my birthday, which is mid-September. I'm hoping its not too cold then because I hate cold weather. Originally, I was going to go to Barcelona and Madrid, but changed my mind. Wondering if I should have planned that. I have a hard time making travel plans when I have to do it alone, and I worry I'll back out of the whole thing since I have nobody to travel with. So this plan I guess is flexible, except I could lose some of my deposit on my accommodations in Amsterdam. Looks like shrooms are out, so thats disappointing. Should have researched that more thoroughly. Not sure I would have chosen Amsterdam if I was planning it now, although I did want to go there when I was young. Should still be fun.

As for things to do, I'm pretty active, so bike riding in Amsterdam would be cool. I still like nightlife. though I'm older now. I also like museums in small doses. However, I really like to stay away from touristy things so I can experience what its like to be a local. My ex-wife and I sought out places where locals were when we got married in Greece. Found great neighborhood in Athens and partied with the locals in a bar that was playing 80's music. So surreal and fun! I miss having someone to travel with like her, but oh well, I can't change it. I'd say I'm open to seeing whatever I can. I'll have to research the attractions before going. Keep the ideas coming!

Old 05-01-2016, 02:00 PM

228 posts, read 541,387 times
Sounds like a great itinerary to me. I did Paris and trained it to Amsterdam a couple of years ago by myself (went to 7 countries overall) late September, weather was perfect. Single late 30s dude. Paris & Amsterdam was ok for me going solo, the other countries would have been more fun going with other people. I thought too, to reserve Paris to take a girl but its such an awesome city that its worth to go back again and again. I skipped Barcelona because it seemed more like a place to go with others, hanging out eating tapas and drinking for cheap.

Amsterdam:
Check out NEMO North of the city. Have a beer at Cafe ‘t Molentje, the owner/bartender is a really cool guy. Ye1p it. Overall all Amsterdam people are really friendly and chatty, and they speak excellent english. When you're tripping, walk around at night, the canals and cobblestone walkways are ridiculously beautiful, way more beautiful than Venice (which I think was an decrepit dump). All of the coffeshops and bars are in the red light district, seeing as you're a single guy, figure you'd be there, (I was, heh) you could probably ask around in the shops if they got shrooms a lot of the street guys will try to peddle you other stuff so there might be a chance that you might find what you want.

Paris:
If you do the Louve and any other museum, make ticket reservations early on way before your trip, you avoid the 2 hour wait line for general admission and can walk right in. There are places in the city to retrieve your physical ticket so grab them as soon as you get there. Do the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triumph, and La Defense (take a train there). All 3 monuments/buildings are geographically in line, really cool to see. You will walk for miles, I think I did 15 miles in one day. Going from place to place like Louve to Notre Dame Cathedral are long treks.

Get a european rail/subway app, also helpful is smartphone map apps.

Never heard of Bruges until I saw the movie "In Bruges" and after researching it, I wish I had known about it before my trip.

Have fun!

Last edited by lost_traveler1; 05-01-2016 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-01-2016, 02:15 PM

228 posts, read 541,387 times
Oh and at minimum learn and memorize speaking in French:
Good day/Hello
Good evening
goodbye
thank you
pardon me
excuse me

Saying even these simple words goes a looooong way with the French people!
When ordering anything in French restaurants always wave for the waiter for everything, they wait for you to call them to order or get the check not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or