Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:50 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,147,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
So the plan is to go in September around my birthday, which is mid-September. I'm hoping its not too cold then because I hate cold weather.
I'd try to bump it up a couple of weeks if not a month. I've been to Amsterdam in late summer and it was windy and chilly (in the 60s). Not that I wasn't comfortable, but I'd much rather walk around in a t-shirt than a hoodie. Paris should be OK, which is why it's good that you're planning Amsterdam first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 02:55 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,147,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Oh and at minimum learn and memorize speaking in French:
Good day/Hello
Good evening
goodbye
thank you
pardon me
excuse me

Saying even these simple words goes a looooong way with the French people!
When ordering anything in French restaurants always wave for the waiter for everything, they wait for you to call them to order or get the check not the other way around.
Yes. Soooooo much yes. I hatehatehatehate to generalize, but in all my experience visiting France, it's the one country where at least making an effort at speaking the local language is almost a must. It's almost comical, but the following interaction isn't unheard of:

- Sir, can you help me find the Latin Quarter?
- I...no English.
- Sh@t... Monsieur...me aider...chercher...Quarter Latin? (with the WORST American accent you can muster, doesn't matter)
- (in perfect English) Of course, go 400 meters straight, turn right at the second bridge, past the Greek tavern (by the way, their souvlaki is excellent!), walk about 100 meters and you're right there!

Old 05-03-2016, 03:39 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,038 times
Quote:
I'm planning a trip in the Fall to Amsterdam and Stockholm. Going by myself as a single guy, which is a little stressful since I'm not an extrovert. Anyone ever been to either city? Any suggestions for must do activities? I have some time to plan and want to make sure I know what I'm doing when I get there.

Holland is a beautiful and well connected country. Just dont have an agenda in Amsterdam..Walk around, take the canal cruise, stop at any restaurant around the central and drink beer . Lots of museums, churches, madame tussaud etc.

The public rail transport connects you to entire length of the country.

If you like sex, there are erotic theatres performing live shows and lot of strip clubs..( Even though it was saddening to see women standing inside a cage )

Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 PM

246 posts, read 649,667 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Yes. Soooooo much yes. I hatehatehatehate to generalize, but in all my experience visiting France, it's the one country where at least making an effort at speaking the local language is almost a must. It's almost comical, but the following interaction isn't unheard of:

- Sir, can you help me find the Latin Quarter?
- I...no English.
- Sh@t... Monsieur...me aider...chercher...Quarter Latin? (with the WORST American accent you can muster, doesn't matter)
- (in perfect English) Of course, go 400 meters straight, turn right at the second bridge, past the Greek tavern (by the way, their souvlaki is excellent!), walk about 100 meters and you're right there!

Old 05-05-2016, 07:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,873,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
If you like sex, there are erotic theatres performing live shows and lot of strip clubs..( Even though it was saddening to see women standing inside a cage )
That are really not many strip clubs as we know it in the US in Amsterdam. There's a red light district obviously, but not to simply look at naked woman.
A cage? You talking about the window girls? Those are prostitutes...they aren't cages, they are "product display" windows.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:07 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,788,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
A cage? You talking about the window girls? Those are prostitutes...they aren't cages, they are "product display" windows.
Haha! Well, I've heard its probably safer (from a disease standpoint) than having sex with a random woman you'd meet in everyday life, so maybe...

Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Haha! Well, I've heard its probably safer (from a disease standpoint) than having sex with a random woman you'd meet in everyday life, so maybe...
I'm no saint during my travels, but I have never engaged in that specific part of Amsterdam night life in all my trips out there. I've seen some amazingly beautiful women in these windows. It's all safe, you just knock on the door, they pull the shades, and you do the act. But from what I read and heard it's all very mechanical - you can't touch this or that part, they are always watching a clock, and any "act" beyond what is requested you have suddenly stop and renegotiate prices. Too mechanical and artificial for me.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I'm no saint during my travels, but I have never engaged in that specific part of Amsterdam night life in all my trips out there. I've seen some amazingly beautiful women in these windows. It's all safe, you just knock on the door, they pull the shades, and you do the act. But from what I read and heard it's all very mechanical - you can't touch this or that part, they are always watching a clock, and any "act" beyond what is requested you have suddenly stop and renegotiate prices. Too mechanical and artificial for me.
Well, since you put it that way, I won't participate either. I appear very conservative, and I am, but on vacation been known to be wild. I just need some excitement in my life.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Well, since you put it that way, I won't participate either. I appear very conservative, and I am, but on vacation been known to be wild. I just need some excitement in my life.
The Dutch are pragmatic to such a degree that what was once wild now seems normal and, well....boring. Yup you can smoke weed and engage in payed sex in sterile, controlled environments in Amsterdam. Big deal, been there, done that. Give me a good sweaty/smoky whorehouse and the friendly smiling working girls in Asia or South American over Amsterdam any time.
Well...you can't beat dutch weed however, those guys have perfected the cultivation and pollination of the herb to potent perfection.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
The Dutch are pragmatic to such a degree that what was once wild now seems normal and, well....boring. Yup you can smoke weed and engage in payed sex in sterile, controlled environments in Amsterdam. Big deal, been there, done that. Give me a good sweaty/smoky whorehouse and the friendly smiling working girls in Asia or South American over Amsterdam any time.
Well...you can't beat dutch weed however, those guys have perfected the cultivation and pollination of the herb to potent perfection.
I'm not into weed, but will try it since I can't do shrooms. Maybe truffles? I don't know. This trip may not even happen. Travelling alone stresses me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel