U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 06:37 AM

32 posts, read 14,283 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Me and my friends are planning for group vacation to Cambodia, so can you suggest me the what are the best places to visit and what is the things to do in Cambodia?

Thanks & Regards
Mathavan K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:12 PM

163 posts, read 112,107 times
Cambodia is a wildly popular tourist destination now. When I first visited, there were still many patches of unexploded land mines, even within the Angkor War area; now Angkor is a big tourist draw with five-star hotels. Personally, I would choose a less-trafficked temple area, but even with the masses of visitors, Angkor is still worth seeing. Phnom Penh is pretty vibrant these days. These are some solemn sites related to the devastating human purges of entire country, just a generation ago. There's also a beautiful temple (I've got to look up the name - I'll add shortly)

Old 04-10-2016, 06:23 PM

12,333 posts, read 18,441,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondytourism View Post
Hi,

Me and my friends are planning for group vacation to Cambodia, so can you suggest me the what are the best places to visit and what is the things to do in Cambodia?

Thanks & Regards
Mathavan K
Angkor Wat is the obvious answer.
They also have some beach resort on the coast that are being turned into the obligatory sleazy backpacker hangouts. Sihanoukville (Snookiville) is probably the best developed. I highly discourage it unless your idea of paradise is surrounding yourself with young drunken aussies, passing out on the beach, and getting all your belongs stolen, and absolutely zero Cambodian culture.

So...skip the coast and go directly to Phnom Phen and then up to Angkor Wat.
Be aware, obviously, Cambodia is extremely poor. Nearby Vietnam and Thailand look like ultra-modern metropolis's in comparison.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:28 PM

5,881 posts, read 2,388,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pondytourism View Post
Hi,

Thanks & Regards
Mathavan K
https://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...-Cambodia.html

Old 04-10-2016, 06:32 PM

329 posts, read 477,359 times
Depends on what you are looking for.
I agree with Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat, but also liked Kampot (pleasant river-side town) and the fresh air of Mondulkiri and Rattanakiri provinces for treking, waterfalls, elephants.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,820,475 times
Angkor Wat is a must-see, I spent three days there and could have spent more as there is so much to take in. I also liked Phnom Penh, but a day there was enough for me.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:29 PM

721 posts, read 301,918 times
It depends on what you are interested in. Cambodia has a lot to offer, but not every destination is for everyone.

Siem Reap is the obvious choice for anyone visiting the kingdom. It is to Cambodia what the Acropolis is to Greece.There is also a great waterfall nearby. Siem Reap doesn't have much else going on other than the ancient sites though. If you want a less touristy ancient temple to visit, check out Preah Vihear.

Sihanoukville has nice looking beaches, but they are pretty dirty. Several hotels were caught flushing their toilets directly into the ocean at Ochheteal Beach in 2015, for example. The government is in the midst of cleaning up Sihanoukville because people started noticing the dirtiness. The islands like Koh Rong are really beautiful, and they have amazing beaches that can rival Thailand.

Kep is my favorite spot in Cambodia. It is better beach town than Sihanoukville. Kep is clean, quiet, and surrounded by a national forest with miles of hiking trails. Plus, you can get to Koh Tonsai Island by boat in about 10 minutes for $7 usd.

Phnom Penh doesn't really have much to see. Wat Phnom is a tourist trap, and so are most of the monuments. The national Museum is cool, and the riverside area has a good park that is fun for people watching. What Phnom Penh has going for it is a great restaurant scene. Check out Malis for great Cambodian food, or check out any number of other good eateries like Khema or Topaz. The nightlife is also very fun in Phnom Penh if you like drinking and dancing until the morning.

Kompot is a very nice river front town with some quiet cafes and restaurants to check out. It is very scenic, and I recommend it.

Kampong Cham is another smaller city that many tourists miss out on that I can recommend.

Chasva69 is correct that Rattanakiri and Mondukiri can also be good places to visit if you can handle the long, bumpy bus ride.

There are other spots that you might find interesting as well like Koh Kong or Battambang. It really depends on what your interests are as a tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel