U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 AM

14,684 posts, read 8,468,648 times

Advertisements

Earplugs. I'm a light sleeper who is sensitive to ANY noise, and earplugs are a godsend, especially on a plane. Also if we're flying, I always bring an extra change of clothes and my medicine in a separate backpack that I carry on in case the airline loses our luggage. I don't want to get stuck wearing the same nasty clothes while they search for our baggage. I also bring my Kindle Fire. It's a great mini computer for travel. I wear a hoodie on the plane as well. It doubles as a pillow or a sweater depending on the plane's temperature. I bring snacks if it's a long flight. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for the limited selection on the plane. In short (actually long), since there are few aspects aspects a passenger can control on a flight, I use my personal belongings to make me more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:09 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,077,467 times
ToothBrush

Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 AM

11,261 posts, read 8,414,613 times
Earplugs is a new MUST for me. A tip when trying to block out undesirable noise from the next room: put the TV on a foreign channel. Your ears won't wake you up since you don't recognize any of the words. (I draped a towel over the screen to temper the scene change/light flickering stuff) This, with earplugs did the trick, though I hate those things in my ears.

A yes. Laundry detergent. If I'm going to be more than a few days, I'll pack a single-use amount. I might have a small box at the house of powdered detergent (NOT good to use in your washer at home) or those little Pod things.

I agree with socks to wear on the plane. Take your shoes off to rest your feet, slip on socks for warmth and comfort. Doubles as slippers in the hotel.

Sleep aid, vitamins, headache pills.

I keep a bag of travel toiletries packed at all time so I don't have to remember that stuff as I pack.

Always take a bathing suit just in case - though I'm so out of shape at the moment I need a new suit that goes down to my knees.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:16 AM

9,773 posts, read 4,991,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Some other favourite essential items:
  • earplugs & eye mask (useful either on the plane or in the hotel);
  • an electric travel toothbrush that uses batteries;
  • small detergent packets in case I want to hand wash any clothes;
  • extra electronics chargers;
  • and a micro fibre hair towel, to quick dry my hair after washing it... I use this at home too, and wouldn't leave home without one, especially when hotel hair dryers can be a bit weak with the air flow and temperature.
Just be sure to remove the battery in transit. If it accidentally gets switched on, it can cause problems in security.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:20 AM

17,005 posts, read 17,320,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It's good to learn some tricks that make trips more survivable and, hopefully, comfortable.

If I have a checked bag, then I also pack some stuff in my carry on, just to get me through a couple of days in case the checked bag gets misdirected. I pack a change of underclothes and some toiletries, at least. Just in case.

Some other favourite essential items:
  • earplugs & eye mask (useful either on the plane or in the hotel);
  • an electric travel toothbrush that uses batteries;
  • small detergent packets in case I want to hand wash any clothes;
  • extra electronics chargers;
  • and a micro fibre hair towel, to quick dry my hair after washing it... I use this at home too, and wouldn't leave home without one, especially when hotel hair dryers can be a bit weak with the air flow and temperature.
Yes, I always pack an outfit in my carry-on plus any absolute essential item (such as my swimsuit if I'm going to Florida).

We also do the "trick" of putting some clothes for each family member in each suitcase. So even if one suitcase gets lost everyone will have some extra clothes to wear.

I really learned the importance of both tricks when the airlines misplaced my FIL's suitcase on his "trip of lifetime" to Europe. My FIL was quite overweight and could not find any size 3X clothes to purchase in the small village where they were staying so he had to wear the same outfit, including underwear, for several days (until they found & returned his suitcase). My MIL said his clothes looked, and smelled, pretty bad by the end.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM

4,914 posts, read 4,059,837 times
I can pack enough for a week in a carry on backpack.

Toothbrush, phone charger, phone, socks, underwear, antiperspirant, and all the same color clothes, so outfits all are interchangeable.

I wear good quality tennis shoes with absorbent socks.

Depending where I am going, I've been known to pack old clothes that I simply leave behind. That way, I free up space in back pack to bring home new things.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:08 AM

4,988 posts, read 7,303,015 times
Valium and travel size bottles of booze

Old 04-10-2016, 09:12 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,914,372 times
WE travel a LOT. Many items never leave my suitcase, I have dedicated cosmetics, toothbrush/paste, hairbrush,etc. Clean clothes replace used ones, but the rest of the stuff stays in the bag.

We often travel to sort of remote areas, so I always bring sanitizing wipes, hand sanitizer (small bottle) and a few packs of tissues. Often hand washing facilities leave a lot to be desired, and toilet paper is ...ummm..often missing or sub standard. Enough said.

I always travel with my Kindle.

Happy landings!

Old 04-10-2016, 09:13 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,406,637 times
I bring as little as I possibly can.

When I travel I just want to soak in the place, relax and have a little fun.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 AM

7,678 posts, read 16,089,040 times
They're sold as pill jars, but are great on the road for any other small items like smaller earrings:

Travel Containers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or