U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:03 AM

13,632 posts, read 8,554,879 times

Advertisements

Backpack.
I rarely carry anything more than that. I even spent a week in Bermuda with my backpack. And another week in Washington, DC.

The feeling of being free from all that luggage is priceless!

I learned by doing it wrong. I traveled a lot in business and retired in 2010. For those who are interested in learning how to pack light, there are plenty of resources on the web. It all STARTS with a list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 02:41 PM

619 posts, read 365,349 times
flip flops. they double as slippers, i wear them in the shower (dont' want to pick up a nasty athelet's foot), and it's nice to have something where my toes are free after a day of walking around.

meds, toothbrush, make up, extra undies and shirt go in my carry on.

"pashmina" - great for the airplane/train, use it as a blanket

water, power bars

Old 04-10-2016, 05:59 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,172,582 times
Carry on - Airborne, Zicam and hand wipes. I find Zicam works the best if a cold is starting. Nothing is worse than to be on a plane and hear people coughing.

Great posts everyone !

Old 04-10-2016, 08:01 PM

83 posts, read 53,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Clean underwear is always a plus ...
I try to pack as little as possible, but always must take good care of my if the weather is coolfeet.
Clean OLD underwear.. use pantyshields to stretch the usable time, if the weather allows, and then DITCH 'em!
Also, my small supply of 'collectable' airline food dishes from when they were made REALLY WELL, are super useful to hold watches, earings, keys or keycards in motel or cabin staterooms. Lightweight, sturdy, pretty, and easy to store, I never leave home without one. (Of course I keep the really old 'good stuff' at home!)

ETA: Wow, I forgot one of the most important things for we who don't see as well as we used to - a lighted, handheld magnifier. I HATE it and LOVE it. Sigh...

Old 04-10-2016, 10:20 PM

9,593 posts, read 17,162,235 times
A good stout pair of wool socks. When I get cold in a strange place, these can mean the difference between a night's sleep and insanity.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 AM

729 posts, read 320,597 times
- Definitely a camera or camera phone.
- sketchbook, pens, pencils, etc
- maybe some music

Old 04-16-2016, 02:42 AM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times
If you're going to need to do laundry forget the powder or single use stuff, you can buy laundry bars that is about size of a small bar of soap. You fill the sink and that thing around and it creates soapy water, good for dozens of uses. Also is a stain remover if rubbed into stain before washing. To complete your laundry kit add a universal sink stopper and a stretchable drying line.

Another useful item is a big Aloksak water tight plastic bag. Use for dirty laundry since can zip shut tight, and if needed can double as washing machine since can hold a lot of water. Just fill with clothes, water, add laundry soap and shake the hell out of it before letting soak.

Bring a couple reusable 6" rubber twist ties. When at train station, on train/bus, even sitting at outdoor cafe you can easily attach your backpack to a chair, table, even your own shoelace so that nobody steals it. Obviously won't stop a determined criminal but all you're doing is not being low hanging fruit, nobody is able to just run by and grab it or stealthily slide it away from you since they've got to untwist it.

Kindle Paperwhites are great as flashlights simple if you turn the backlight to max.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:52 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,408,388 times
A pair of tweezers and a small magnifying mirror are a must for me, also a shower cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or