Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:57 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,777,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The sandwich is called muffaletta. For the authentic experience, purchase it at Centeal Market and Grocery, then cop a sqyat in a nearby park. Mist people find that ine sandwuch is enough for two people. You need to like olives. Delicious!
Or a "Po' Boy" sandwich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,663,861 times
FWIW, my friend just came back from an overnight in TJ and it took them FOUR HOURS to get across the border at San Ysidro.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,296,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The sandwich is called muffaletta. For the authentic experience, purchase it at Centeal Market and Grocery, then cop a sqyat in a nearby park. Mist people find that ine sandwuch is enough for two people. You need to like olives. Delicious!
Yes! I thought I'd died and gone to culinary heaven. And it was huge! I saved half for later.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,074,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Anyway, we have been talking about how it would be cool to see the US-Mexico border. Everything but our dates in Vegas are flexible, and we can leave a few days earlier and shuffle things around a bit if necessary. Any idea?
Please clarify if you just want to "see" the border or actually plan to cross the border. El Paso is the best place to see it, Nogales is the best place to cross it. Neither is particularly along the way. All told you're looking at hundereds of miles and many hours of additional driving. How important is this?

Old 04-11-2016, 03:34 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,000,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Please clarify if you just want to "see" the border or actually plan to cross the border. El Paso is the best place to see it, Nogales is the best place to cross it. Neither is particularly along the way. All told you're looking at hundereds of miles and many hours of additional driving. How important is this?
Just want to see it, not cross it. It's not super important, just something we were thinking about. We love doing epic, random road trips. It's so much fun. People think we're crazy because we take random routes. I guess we're just weird.

I did, though, just run it on Google Maps.

If we did Arlington, TX to El Paso, TX to Las Vegas, NV, we're looking at 19 hours and 24 minutes vs. 17 hours and 47 minutes from Arlington, TX to Las Vegas, NV. Obviously, we wouldn't drive either of those straight, we would stop along the way for at least one overnight...probably 2.

It would be kind of neat to see more of Texas. Every time that we've been in Texas, we've taken I-40 and have only gone through the very top of the state, through Amarillo.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:36 PM

Thanks for the tips about New Orleans, y'all. I am so excited about visiting there. I want to have some real New Orleans jambalaya while I'm there. Something tells me Zatarain's just isn't the same! And I'll check out the muffaletta. Seems like I might get fat in New Orleans.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:44 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,888,982 times
For Atlanta to NOLA, I'd recommend taking 20 to Meridian then 59 down to New Orleans. 65 south of Montgomery I've found to be pretty boring (even by my standards) with not much between Montgomery and Mobile. I 10 west of Mobile is also uninteresting except for a few long bridges. It's also pretty busy. I 59 is usually much less busy and a more relaxing drive.
Also for New Orleans, French Quarter absolutely has spots to visit, but don't overlook the CBD. I didn't get to explore much of it in January but it definitely has options.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:55 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,885,058 times
You answered your own question: if you go through El Paso, Juarez is right across the river.

Two ways to do it, Arlington to Las Vegas through Albuquerque or El Paso, you'll spend the night in either city. Done both. If I were you, go through El Paso, at least you'll have the option to cross the river; or go up to the various Franklin mountain lookouts and view Juarez.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kensaviation/22397832437

Old 04-11-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
For Atlanta to NOLA, I'd recommend taking 20 to Meridian then 59 down to New Orleans. 65 south of Montgomery I've found to be pretty boring (even by my standards) with not much between Montgomery and Mobile. I 10 west of Mobile is also uninteresting except for a few long bridges. It's also pretty busy. I 59 is usually much less busy and a more relaxing drive.
Also for New Orleans, French Quarter absolutely has spots to visit, but don't overlook the CBD. I didn't get to explore much of it in January but it definitely has options.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
You answered your own question: if you go through El Paso, Juarez is right across the river.

Two ways to do it, Arlington to Las Vegas through Albuquerque or El Paso, you'll spend the night in either city. Done both. If I were you, go through El Paso, at least you'll have the option to cross the river; or go up to the various Franklin mountain lookouts and view Juarez.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kensaviation/22397832437
Wow, nice pic.

And yes, I do suppose I answered my own question, but I wasn't even sure which border town to look into. El Paso was mentioned in this thread and was quite helpful. I think we'll do the El Paso thing, it's not much further.

Thanks for everyone's help in this thread.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,211,342 times
Well if you really want to see Texas, and see the border, go to Big Bend. Santa Elena Canyon. Mexico on the left, Texas on the right, with a wadeable Rio Grande right in the middle. Hit up Marfa and Prada Marfa on the way to El Paso. I know you really want to hit Arlington, but it's easier to go NOLA, Houston, San Antonio, Del Rio, Marfa all along US 90, and you can essentially drive most of the border, and it's far more scenic than 1-10. Plus you'll really understand the line "the stars are bright, all through the night" from Deep in the Heart of Texas. Big Bend and area is one of the clearest and least light-polluted areas in the country.

Of course you can still go through Arlington, and then down I-35 through Waco and Austin to San Antonio.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel