Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:20 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,000,974 times

Advertisements

Okay, my husband and I have gone on 3 cross-country road trips (North Carolina to California border), and we are planning our 4th for July, when we will be spending 9 nights in Las Vegas.

On the way, we want to take the Southern route but want to dip down to spend a night in New Orleans. Our itinerary looks like this so far:

June 28th - Fremont, NC to Atlanta, GA
June 29th - Atlanta, GA to New Orleans, LA
June 30th - New Orleans, LA to Arlington, TX
July 1st - Arlington, TX to Albuquerque, NM
July 2nd - Albuquerque, NM to Las Vegas, NV

Vegas - July 2nd-11th

July 11th - Las Vegas to Milford, Utah (Visiting a friend)
July 12th - Milford, Utah to Denver, Colorado
July 13th - Denver, Colorado to Kansas City, MO
July 14th - Kansas City, MO to Louisville, KY
July 15th - Louisville, KY to Fremont, NC

I know it's a bit of an out-of-the-way route, but my husband is a Dimebag Darrell fan and wants to see his hometown in Arlington, Texas. Before that, we are dipping down to New Orleans because I've never been there and have always wanted to go.

Anyway, we have been talking about how it would be cool to see the US-Mexico border. Everything but our dates in Vegas are flexible, and we can leave a few days earlier and shuffle things around a bit if necessary. Any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Oh...and we want to keep the overnight in NOLA and preferably in Arlington, although that's not as important. Thanks for any tips anyone might have!

Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,389,507 times
When performing at the University of Tucson years ago, we walked across the border to Nogales, Mexico where we ate frogs legs at a "cave" restaurant and I negotiated an onyx chess set on the way back across the border. We had a wonderful evening.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:14 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,779,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Anyway, we have been talking about how it would be cool to see the US-Mexico border.
huh? What do you expect to see? You well see a river, a fence, or a border crossing station depending on what part of the southwest border area you are at - each of which is impressively unimpressive.

In El Paso I guess, it's kind of strange because I-10 is on higher ground and you can see down into Juarez.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-10-2016 at 06:25 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,094,442 times
Nine days in Las Vegas? That is almost a record. Most people get tired after 3-4 days.

There are a few places where you can really get to the border near that route.

Ciudad Juarez is immediately across from El Paso and represents the best view of Mexico without crossing the border.

Nogales, Sonora is across from Nogales, AZ. You get a good look at the fence. If you want to cross over the border, it is one of the easiest place to do so. Nogales is about 70 minutes south of Tucson.

If you are heading to San Diego, you can also visit Tijuana, BC. Crossing there is also very easy.

=================

The cave restaurant in Nogales is long gone. I saw its ruins last week in Nogales.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,021,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
huh? What do you expect to see? You well see a river, a fence, or a border crossing station depending on what part of the southwest border area you are at - each of which is impressively unimpressive.

In El Paso I guess, it's kind of strange because I-10 is on higher ground and you can see down into Juarez.
Yeah, I don't get it either. What's there to see?

And 9 days in Vegas in July? I'd be looking for things to do after the third day.

I'd hang a left at Phoenix and cross the border to Puerto Penasco and swim in the Sea of Cortez. That's one of the next big Mexican resort areas.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,300,223 times
Leave earlier and spend two nights in New Orleans. Go to the market, have beignets, take the trolley up St. Charles, have red beans and rice, walk through the french quarter. Don't just drive through!

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tool...ntcharles.html

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/fq/

http://www.frenchmarket.org/

http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignets

And you have to have one of those sandwiches - who remembers what they're called? I forget! They're to die for and you can get them in the French Quarter, too. Not po-boys. It's called something else.

I've been twice. It's such a magical place to visit. We took the trolley down St. Charles and got off at a stop where there was a restaurant that served red beans and rice and we sat outside. Makes me want to go back!

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 04-10-2016 at 09:13 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either. What's there to see?

And 9 days in Vegas in July? I'd be looking for things to do after the third day.

I'd hang a left at Phoenix and cross the border to Puerto Penasco and swim in the Sea of Cortez. That's one of the next big Mexican resort areas.
We're spending 9 days in Vegas for a reason. We are going for UFC International Fight Week, which is a week-long thing with a ton of activities, including 3 different UFC fights. Before Fight Week, we're going to a Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood concert. Add in a day of rest at the beginning of our stay in Vegas, because I think we're probably going to need it. I wouldn't just randomly plan 9 days in Vegas, but we have enough going on that I don't think we'll be bored. We stayed for 7 days on our last trip.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Leave earlier and spend two nights in New Orleans. Go to the market, have beignets, take the trolley up St. Charles, have red beans and rice, walk through the french quarter. Don't just drive through!

St. Charles Avenue

New Orleans French Quarter: History, Restaurants, Attractions and Hotels

French Market French Market » The French Market of Downtown New Orleans, Louisiana!

Beignets | Cafe Du Monde French Market Coffee Stand

And you have to have one of those sandwiches - who remembers what they're called? I forget! They're to die for and you can get them in the French Quarter, too. Not po-boys. It's called something else.

I've been twice. It's such a magical place to visit. We took the trolley down St. Charles and got off at a stop where there was a restaurant that served red beans and rice and we sat outside. Makes me want to go back!
I might think about that! I am so excited to visit New Orleans.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:24 AM

19,374 posts, read 27,616,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I might think about that! I am so excited to visit New Orleans.
The sandwich is called muffaletta. For the authentic experience, purchase it at Centeal Market and Grocery, then cop a sqyat in a nearby park. Mist people find that ine sandwuch is enough for two people. You need to like olives. Delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel