U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:58 PM

1,278 posts, read 904,427 times

Advertisements

it amazes me how so many are so OK with handouts, welfare for the unemployed but for those who work their as*es off, you won't even tip them a dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:35 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,881,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
it amazes me how so many are so OK with handouts, welfare for the unemployed but for those who work their as*es off, you won't even tip them a dollar.
Well, the other "tie-in" is how folks criticize those who work their as*es off for mere MW saying they should take training, trade school, college, start their own business, other way to better themselves, but then as far as jobs that rely on tips... apparently, the same advice doesn't apply to them. Give them a better tip instead!

Old 04-13-2016, 02:36 AM

9,257 posts, read 10,913,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Some places do share the tips with the kitchen staff, and some waitresses are expected to share their tips with the bus boy, etc. I haven't waitressed for a million years, but I was expected to share my tips. After all, if the kitchen is slow, it will be reflected in the waitress' tip, or if nobody takes away a dirty plate, or the table isn't clean when you sit down.
This is why it's confusing to the patron. Aren't the bus people and kitchen staff paid at least minimum wage, while wait staff are generally not and rely on tips? We are confused! We don't know what to do to make it fair. The system is crazy.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Some people tip the housekeepers at hotels, even though they make MW or better instead of server pay.
I've always have tipped maid service at hotels/motels. A few dollars per day. I leave the money on the desk or nightstand with a note saying "Thank you". If we have unopened snacks, sodas, etc...set them there too. Is that unusual?

Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,023 times
I'll be honest, I tip housekeepers every day and the only reason is because it is "how it is." Frankly, I am just afraid of getting genuinely inferior service, somehow, since most people tip them ("why should I care as much about this room if the occupants are not treating me as well as those of other rooms" or something like that).

Old 04-13-2016, 04:37 PM

8,339 posts, read 9,801,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I've always have tipped maid service at hotels/motels. A few dollars per day. I leave the money on the desk or nightstand with a note saying "Thank you". If we have unopened snacks, sodas, etc...set them there too. Is that unusual?
I travel full time for work. IE, I spend literally half to sometimes more of my nights of my life sleeping in hotel rooms. I have yet to run into a single soul in this industry who tips the maids. That would add up mighty quick for us.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I travel full time for work. IE, I spend literally half to sometimes more of my nights of my life sleeping in hotel rooms. I have yet to run into a single soul in this industry who tips the maids. That would add up mighty quick for us.

OK, well I was taught that way by my parents who were world travelers (leisure), but they were not folks who traveled for work except a few trips a year my dad would take for conventions.

Editing to say that I pulled out one of my old Emily Post etiquette books handed down from mother. Tipping housekeeping is not a recent thing, has always been. What I have been doing wrong is leaving the tip at the end of a stay rather than daily, which might lead to some of the staff missing out on the tip depending on days they worked/days off. Proper etiquette is to leave a daily tip for housekeeping, preferably with a note thanking them for their service.

Last edited by TXNGL; 04-16-2016 at 03:31 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 06:12 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,932,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Quote:
OK, well I was taught that way by my parents who were world travelers (leisure), but they were not folks who traveled for work except a few trips a year my dad would take for conventions.

Editing to say that I pulled out one of my old Emily Post etiquette books handed down from mother. Tipping housekeeping is not a recent thing, has always been. What I have been doing wrong is leaving the tip at the end of a stay rather than daily, which might lead to some of the staff missing out on the tip depending on days they worked/days off. Proper etiquette is to leave a daily tip for housekeeping, preferably with a note thanking them for their service.
I travel a lot for work as well and I always tip the Maids. So there is your single soul in the industry.... Honestly I think your just saying that as a cop out for being cheap. Especially since most companies will let you expense it.

Now with that said, I do not have the maid's clean my room every day. If i stay for a week, I will put the do-not disturb sign on the room all week. I dont have a maid clean my house every day, not sure why i need someone to do the hotel room every day. They give you enough towels to last at least a week. Plus I do not need some random stranger rooting through my stuff every day. I typically leave 2-3 bucks on my last day.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:23 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,986,776 times
Quote:
I remember when I traveled with my parents as a child, my mother always left a tip for the maids at the end our stay.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,502,602 times
Quote:

Husband travels frequently for work - he's pretty undemanding on the staff. Doesn't make any requests really - he leaves for work quite early and once he's back in the room, he's busy working so he leaves the DND sign out pretty much the whole stay....

However, often daughter and I accompany him and then I will tip daily since we ask for extra coffee, towels, beach towels, and generate ALOT more trash. Always brought extra baggies to "double bag" diapers and pull-ups - but still....... Plus as neat as we tried to keep the room, still needed daily vacuuming. sand from the beach, cherrios, muffin crumbs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or