Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:51 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times

Advertisements

This sort of confusion is honestly why I try to avoid these type of restaurants. My question is, are these cashiers (and bussers) on house pay? If they are, and I know, I will leave tip as long as they aren't extremely rude. If not, well, I have no reason to tip them any more than I do the cashiers at Walmart or Whole Foods.

On another note, have y'all ever been to a restaurant that has a tip jar at the cash register for when you order and also expects regular tip at the table? I wonder what goes through the minds of the people doing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
Tip? At a buffet? Not gonna happen.

Just kidding. But you have to admit, people going to a buffet aren't looking to spend that much to begin with.
Most people I know do tip at buffets, and the workers do get house pay, I believe. After all, the waiters and waitresses are in charge of clearing the table (while you are still there) and taking care of drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:28 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I recently went on a trip to another town and ate at a self-service restaurant. It was considered a sit down restaurant (not fast food) but they did not have wait staff to bring drinks, condiments, take orders. You walked up the counter and placed your order, and you got your own drinks and got your own silverware and napkins.

They did have staff to clean tables (you did not have to throw out your own plate) but that was it.

When I placed my order, there was a line for how much tip that I wanted to provide. I put $0.00 down since it was not a serviced place.

Was this correct? Rude? The person who took my order immediately saw the size of tip, so I suppose they could have spit in my food if they didn't like it.

I was slightly perplexed at how to respond to the tip line on the receipt.
Write "CASH" so the receipt doesn't go on instagram.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:36 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
What's next? Tip jars at McDonalds?
They already have them at Starbucks.

edit: Even at the drive-up window.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 04-11-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 04-11-2016, 08:18 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
It's all too subjective. If the guy at McDonald's brings your food from the counter to the table where you're sitting, all the sudden you now need to tip?

Old 04-11-2016, 08:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
We never tip self-serve places. The table cleaners are earning minimum wage. Only waitresses don't earn minimum, so we tip them generously wherever we go. But no pizza parlors or burgers joints where we pick up our own food and carry it to our table.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
It seems nearly everywhere is trying to get in on the tipping action. Many places are now using tip jars. Many places now have an additional line for the tip on CC reciepts (that in the past tipping was never even considered). Well it's not working on me. I will tip at the traditional places, but these new industries/services that are trying to get in on it get nothing from me. What's next? Tip your doctor, tip your cashier at the store, tip the guy who did your oil, tip your pilot, tip the TSA on your way through a frisking? Etc etc. It's already gotten ridiculous and seems to be getting worse. Don't play along; don't encourage them to keep it alive.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
no, but if i order a dozen bagels made to order with nova, capers, red onions and cream cheese, lightly toasted for my office, and my overworked bagel guy downstairs does it all in under 3 minutes as he always does, i tip him $5. same for the food court sushi guy.

Wow you are generous. I usually tip 20% when I go out to eat but for what you described I would tip $1 maximum. The bagel person isn't being paid less than minimum wage like a server is.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 AM

604 posts, read 618,323 times
usually 1$ per plate, not counting drinks.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:51 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Wow you are generous. I usually tip 20% when I go out to eat but for what you described I would tip $1 maximum. The bagel person isn't being paid less than minimum wage like a server is.
well, the loaded bagels are usually around $5 each, pricey here in NYC so giving him $5 for a $60 bill isn't too much and how often do i get bagels, like once a week or so.. what i appreciate most about Manuel (the bagel shop employee), is his efficiency, speed, awesome product and pleasant manner that seperates this shop from the others. i see him overworked with lines out the door but he always has a smile, never angry. it's my way of showing my appreciation. it has nothing to do with him being paid less than a server or not.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
It seems nearly everywhere is trying to get in on the tipping action. Many places are now using tip jars. Many places now have an additional line for the tip on CC reciepts (that in the past tipping was never even considered). Well it's not working on me. I will tip at the traditional places, but these new industries/services that are trying to get in on it get nothing from me. What's next? Tip your doctor, tip your cashier at the store, tip the guy who did your oil, tip your pilot, tip the TSA on your way through a frisking? Etc etc. It's already gotten ridiculous and seems to be getting worse. Don't play along; don't encourage them to keep it alive.
Some people tip the housekeepers at hotels, even though they make MW or better instead of server pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel