U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 10:39 PM

480 posts, read 493,433 times

Advertisements

I recently went on a trip to another town and ate at a self-service restaurant. It was considered a sit down restaurant (not fast food) but they did not have wait staff to bring drinks, condiments, take orders. You walked up the counter and placed your order, and you got your own drinks and got your own silverware and napkins.

They did have staff to clean tables (you did not have to throw out your own plate) but that was it.

When I placed my order, there was a line for how much tip that I wanted to provide. I put $0.00 down since it was not a serviced place.

Was this correct? Rude? The person who took my order immediately saw the size of tip, so I suppose they could have spit in my food if they didn't like it.

I was slightly perplexed at how to respond to the tip line on the receipt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:14 PM

18,134 posts, read 23,028,696 times
Normally, there's a tip jar at the counter, and I'll put in a dollar or so. They still bring the food out and clean up, so I do give them a little.

I had a really weird encounter at a local restaurant. I told the waitress to add $5.00 to my breakfast bill, and when I went to sign the credit card slip, there was a line that said, "additional tip." I almost wrote $5.00 in again. LOL. I'd never seen that before. Nice try, eh?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:26 AM

9,265 posts, read 10,926,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I recently went on a trip to another town and ate at a self-service restaurant. It was considered a sit down restaurant (not fast food) but they did not have wait staff to bring drinks, condiments, take orders. You walked up the counter and placed your order, and you got your own drinks and got your own silverware and napkins.

They did have staff to clean tables (you did not have to throw out your own plate) but that was it.

When I placed my order, there was a line for how much tip that I wanted to provide. I put $0.00 down since it was not a serviced place.

Was this correct? Rude? The person who took my order immediately saw the size of tip, so I suppose they could have spit in my food if they didn't like it.

I was slightly perplexed at how to respond to the tip line on the receipt.
So frustrating. This is a newer (last decade or so) trend. I put $0.00 on the credit or debit card receipt. They took my order at a counter! I do leave a couple of dollars on the table for the bus person. I'm not a cheap person and I tip well at sit down restaurants.

Editing before I come across as a total jerk! When you are at a restaurant where you are waited on, your tip is supposed to go to the waiter for the job they did. It doesn't go to the kitchen staff, for example. Servers are often paid under minimum wage and they rely on those tips to make up for it. In the case of a tip line on a check at a place where the tables are not served, I don't understand whom the tip goes to. As I said, this has been a more recent concept.

Last edited by TXNGL; 04-11-2016 at 02:37 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 AM

32,119 posts, read 33,030,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
So frustrating. This is a newer (last decade or so) trend. I put $0.00 on the credit or debit card receipt. They took my order at a counter! I do leave a couple of dollars on the table for the bus person. I'm not a cheap person and I tip well at sit down restaurants.

Editing before I come across as a total jerk! When you are at a restaurant where you are waited on, your tip is supposed to go to the waiter for the job they did. It doesn't go to the kitchen staff, for example. Servers are often paid under minimum wage and they rely on those tips to make up for it. In the case of a tip line on a check at a place where the tables are not served, I don't understand whom the tip goes to. As I said, this has been a more recent concept.
I never remember years ago that one ever left a tip a self-service restaurant. Tips go to waiters/waitresses and not to the "busboys" that set or clear tables from what I was led to believe.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:56 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,506,990 times
Would you tip at a McDonalds? I don't see much of a difference.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,098,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Would you tip at a McDonalds? I don't see much of a difference.
There is a difference with the type of restaurant the OP described and McDonalds. Although you order at the counter a server brings your food to you, in addition the server may bring additional items like extra plates or condiments that aren't normally accessible, and someone clears away your table and may possibly bring you take home containers. While I don't think the OP was wrong in not putting a tip on the credit cart slip, I think a tip should be given at the end of the meal. There is a restaurant chain in my area that has this type of set up and I usually don't tip when paying for the meal unless the cashier has done something above and beyond but I usually will leave a tip at the end and my tip will vary on how attentive the staff was throughout the meal.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:09 AM

480 posts, read 493,433 times
No, to be clear that the restaurant that I described, I had to bring the food from the counter to my table. I had three plates and was preciously balancing one plate on my arm and it nearly fell, and then a nice patron asked if she could help and brought one of the plates to table.

No staff was attentive to us during dinner. It was run just like a fast food restaurant except it was slow cooked.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:38 AM

11,744 posts, read 6,316,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post

I agree, 100%. Now, if I am a regular customer at a place like this and there is, say, a tip jar at the counter, then I'll occasionally leave a dollar or two in the jar when visiting.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:13 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,935,440 times
I too am frustrated by this business model and the tipping. There is a place i frequent every once in a while on business in LA that completely confuses me. Its like a nicer version of Panera, Order at the counter but they bring the food to your table and have drink service at the table and they bus the table. When I first went there I didn't realize they did all this so i did not tip when i purchased my meal at the counter.

At this point i had no cash on me so i wasn't able to leave a tip on the table. Just an Odd system.

not sure if city data will allow this, but this was the restaurant. The Market Place Grill Cafe - The Market Place Grill Cafe

Old 04-11-2016, 11:22 AM

22,745 posts, read 28,807,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
......... I went to sign the credit card slip, there was a line that said, "additional tip." I almost wrote $5.00 in again. LOL. I'd never seen that before. Nice try, eh?
You must be careful to read the bill because some restaurants are automatically adding a tip to the bill whether you want to pay it pr not. You add a tip and you are tipping twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or