U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
Reputation: 3503

Advertisements

LA is on the fence for me. I have actually never experienced its public transportation (always drive everywhere when I'm there) but from what I understand it's getting decent and I do believe I could live there without a car. Also, as a tourist destination it's very strong and that should balance out with some of the inconveniences of getting around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
What's Minneapolis like? I was surprised it had a few light rail lines to be honest.
MSP is awesome! The light rail system is great and the buses are effective and highly utilized. But I dont know if a visitor would really get to experience everything without a car. Particularly the lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2016, 03:16 AM
 
Location: Brussels
505 posts, read 459,914 times
Reputation: 690
the only city that I know in the US with good public transportation is NYC (especially the subway system).

for all the other cities that people are citing above, public transportation is either not reliable, not good, expensive or not covering much of the city.

For example in LA it doesnt cover much, and in SF it is very expensive and not reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 04:18 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Reputation: 24210
I did a mass transit experiment last summer, intending to only utilize L.A.'s bus system, and I found it first-class!

What I liked about it was the choices available.

I got to Santa Monica, and I had 3 choices to get back to downtown L.A., the slowest bus, which makes every stop on Santa Monica Boulevard, the 2nd slowest, which skips every other stop, and the Rapid transit bus that took the freeway back to downtown L.A.

I also took the bus to Monterrey Park, and again, I had 2 choices, the slowest or next slowest, and I never waited more than 15 minutes for the next bus.

And a number of the buses had TV screens with 24 hour news!

Between the Rapid Buses, the regular buses, the light rail and the commuters lines, and you can see a lot of L.A. without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 05:33 AM
 
32,063 posts, read 32,968,461 times
Reputation: 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
the only city that I know in the US with good public transportation is NYC (especially the subway system).

for all the other cities that people are citing above, public transportation is either not reliable, not good, expensive or not covering much of the city.

For example in LA it doesnt cover much, and in SF it is very expensive and not reliable.
I lived in the SF Bay Area for about a year and half a while back and I found the BART in/out of the SF as well as the local MUNI system to be quite reliable as I didn't own a car during my time in the area.

Of course, as already mentioned NYC has great public transportation within city limits (which runs 24/7) and good public transportation to get to the suburbs around the city (although once one is in the suburbs one needs a car to get around).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I did a mass transit experiment last summer, intending to only utilize L.A.'s bus system, and I found it first-class!

What I liked about it was the choices available.

I got to Santa Monica, and I had 3 choices to get back to downtown L.A., the slowest bus, which makes every stop on Santa Monica Boulevard, the 2nd slowest, which skips every other stop, and the Rapid transit bus that took the freeway back to downtown L.A.

I also took the bus to Monterrey Park, and again, I had 2 choices, the slowest or next slowest, and I never waited more than 15 minutes for the next bus.

And a number of the buses had TV screens with 24 hour news!

Between the Rapid Buses, the regular buses, the light rail and the commuters lines, and you can see a lot of L.A. without a car.
I visit L.A. periodically being that I have immediate family members in the vicinity that live near main drags/roads. So I have found it very easy to use the Metro subway system as well rapid & local buses within L.A. and even connect to the Metrolink/Amtrak via Union Station to go to/from another immediate family member's home further south (although there I must be taken/picked up from the local train station). But it is true that that pubic transportation in Southern California only covers main areas and shuts down in some places after the evening rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2016, 02:15 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,145,566 times
Reputation: 10009
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Chicago and San Fran.


I think that's pretty much it.


People might say Portland, Seattle etc, but in reality what they have is still pretty pathetic. Just think about it, Vancouver, Canada is smaller than Seattle but has 4 subway lines.
I lived in Seattle and got by just fine without a car. The bus system is really good there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2016, 02:18 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,145,566 times
Reputation: 10009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
the only city that I know in the US with good public transportation is NYC (especially the subway system).

for all the other cities that people are citing above, public transportation is either not reliable, not good, expensive or not covering much of the city.

For example in LA it doesnt cover much, and in SF it is very expensive and not reliable.
Boston is pretty good. Chicago is decent. DC is ok. As a European, I can see why you'd be underwhelmed by American public transit though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 04:56 PM
 
9 posts, read 5,049 times
Reputation: 25
Despite an earlier comment, Portland's public transit is very good. There are several light rail lines to get you from the airport to downtown and from downtown to some other parts of town. And for the rest of it, there is frequent bus service, along with bike rentals and that kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times
Reputation: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It only looks good on paper.


In reality, LA is still car dependent. Public transit is hardly as convenient as it appears on the map. Many bus routes are far from frequent, and some stop services very early. Additionally, LA is simply too spread-out for current transport to be a viable replacement for cars.


You need to look at both overall overage (can you get to most destinations by public transit?) and dependency (it is frequent enough for people to use for their daily needs?)

Well, you could make the same case for NYC. Look at how much of the Bronx & Queens (yet alone all of Staten Island) are subway less?? Sure, there's busses, in Queen's case the LIRR covers some areas and in about 8 or 10 years (hopefully), Metro North will cover some of that area in the Bronx. Not popular tourist destinations, but not a lot of area covered by subway. Probably the same case with LA (and at least their subway actually connects to the airport, unlike certain NYC airports ) the subway covers all of the tourist destinations (and now with the new line going up to Culver & Studio City) but the rest of the city doesn't have much coverage and relies on unreliable busses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Well, you could make the same case for NYC. Look at how much of the Bronx & Queens (yet alone all of Staten Island) are subway less?? Sure, there's busses, in Queen's case the LIRR covers some areas and in about 8 or 10 years (hopefully), Metro North will cover some of that area in the Bronx. Not popular tourist destinations, but not a lot of area covered by subway. Probably the same case with LA (and at least their subway actually connects to the airport, unlike certain NYC airports ) the subway covers all of the tourist destinations (and now with the new line going up to Culver & Studio City) but the rest of the city doesn't have much coverage and relies on unreliable busses.
since when LAX is connected to the subway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2016, 01:14 PM
 
2,163 posts, read 1,226,560 times
Reputation: 2690
As a tourist, I have visited Boston and San Francisco and found their public transportation system adequate for a tourist. In San Francisco, I might've waited for 15 - 20 minutes for a trolley bus a few times, but who cares. Just an extra time to rest. But in general, we could get to most touristy places in the city of San Francisco by either light rail/bus/trolley bus. Downtown Boston and Cambridge is also well served by subway and a few buses.


Speaking as a resident, none of US cities has good public transportation. In NYC, everything is designed to go to Manhattan. There is one pathetic train that connects Queens and Brooklyn and that does not stop anywhere people need to go. Bronx has no subway connection to Queens. Staten Island might as well be a suburb, it has one rail line that does not go anywhere useful and connects to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top