U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:39 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That is correct. In Chicago, which is reputed to have good public trans, it's good if you live and work near the red, brown, or blue lines and are not in a hurry. Otherwise, it's horrible.

Chicago DOES have a pretty good public transportation system although it is less good on the Southside and other disadvantaged neighborhoods.

However, I look forward to using CTA about as much as I look forward to a root canal. The trains and buses are filthy and not maintained very well. Train delays are fairly common from time to time as they need to slow down in certain areas due to poor track conditions. And the stations are an absolute mess.

What is ironic is that the experience on the various METRA lines - operated by the railroads - is quite pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,911,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
the only city that I know in the US with good public transportation is NYC (especially the subway system).

for all the other cities that people are citing above, public transportation is either not reliable, not good, expensive or not covering much of the city.

For example in LA it doesnt cover much, and in SF it is very expensive and not reliable.
Washington, DC may not be up to European standards, but I find it quite practical when visiting the city to fly into Reagan airport, on the Metro, and use Metro and my own two feet to get around without a car. Although I am a car guy to the core, driving in DC is damn awful, I prefer not to drive there at all.

Atlanta, GA has a decent light rail, but it only serves a small part of the metro area. It's been decades since I rode a bus there, but when I did, service was OK. The Atlanta light rail (MARTA) is IMHO the best way to get to the north side of town from the airport if you fly in.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:38 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
However, I look forward to using CTA about as much as I look forward to a root canal. The trains and buses are filthy and not maintained very well. Train delays are fairly common from time to time as they need to slow down in certain areas due to poor track conditions. And the stations are an absolute mess.
Yeah totally agree. I also felt like a lot of times the trains moved so slow. Like I was on a historic streetcar without dedicated ROW or something. I remember watching the movie Wanted and some of the high-power action sequences occur on top of the El Trains and I was thinking...the train never goes THAT fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Washington, DC may not be up to European standards, but I find it quite practical when visiting the city to fly into Reagan airport, on the Metro, and use Metro and my own two feet to get around without a car. Although I am a car guy to the core, driving in DC is damn awful, I prefer not to drive there at all.

Atlanta, GA has a decent light rail, but it only serves a small part of the metro area. It's been decades since I rode a bus there, but when I did, service was OK. The Atlanta light rail (MARTA) is IMHO the best way to get to the north side of town from the airport if you fly in.
Totally agree about DC and Atlanta. Just noting that MARTA is heavy rail.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:12 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yeah totally agree. I also felt like a lot of times the trains moved so slow. Like I was on a historic streetcar without dedicated ROW or something. I remember watching the movie Wanted and some of the high-power action sequences occur on top of the El Trains and I was thinking...the train never goes THAT fast!.

For the last 10+ years, the Chicago CTA Blue Line has been plagues by slowdowns because of the deterioration of track conditions along the line. At times, many of these trains have been running as slow as 20 mph.

For more on track deterioration, see the NTSB report issues as a result of a 2006 derailment:

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/RAR0702.pdf

See page 29 if you want to see something scary.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Page 29? I must have missed what you were trying to point out.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:39 PM

13,324 posts, read 25,297,040 times
I live in San Diego, and have a vehicle, but I take public transportation most of the time. Driving is an option for me, and I don't drive to work. Therefore, I always have 1/2 tank of gas for when I decide I want to drive somewhere. My van stays p parked until I decide to use it.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:30 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,158,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Chicago DOES have a pretty good public transportation system...[from same post different paragraph] The trains and buses are filthy and not maintained very well. Train delays are fairly common from time to time as they need to slow down in certain areas due to poor track conditions. And the stations are an absolute mess.
Cognitive dissonance?

Old 05-22-2016, 10:40 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,586,973 times
I think it's generally conceded that NYC has the best public transportation in the US. I haven't owned a car in 20+ years here & don't even notice it unless I need to go out of town to some suburb out of state. I lived for 20+ years in other cities & being without a car was pretty unthinkable.

Plus it's an easy/safe walking city as well which is a form of public transportation too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or