U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:54 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times

Advertisements

Follow a few of the flight deal sites...you'll see very cheap fares to Europe from Chicago at least once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 10:49 AM

1,106 posts, read 907,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I could believe that figure if the poster was flying into and out of Heathrow, which has outrageously high airport taxes.
Yes, that is correct. I was not anticipating that, which is why I wanted to encourage the OP to check this out, just in case.
I am not sure if there are other European airports with taxes that high.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,557,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yes. Some European airlines such as SWISS and Lufanthsa do that. However, if you book them as a partner flight through United, you won't have to pay those fees.

You live in Chicago? Plenty of good deals from there. I constantly see LOT (Poland) having $700 round trip fares out of Chicago. Rest of us aren't that lucky.
On the honeymoon itinerary I booked through Lufthansa (which btw is now $400 cheaper a week later, not happy about it), taxes and fees alone were about $1100 for 2 people. The ticket itself was around $400.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:11 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Follow a few of the flight deal sites...you'll see very cheap fares to Europe from Chicago at least once a week.
Just to give examples...one site I like is theflightdeal. Like I said, about one cheap fare to europe from Chicago each week. Also giving some asia examples just fyi.

Europe:
$463 to Milan
The Flight Deal | [FARE GONE] Alitalia – $463: Chicago / Washington D.C. / Houston – Milan, Italy. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
$549 to Dublin
The Flight Deal | [SUMMER EUROPE FARE] United – $508 – $563: New York / Philadelphia / Chicago / Los Angeles – Dublin, Ireland. Roundtrip, including all Taxes

Asia:
$697 to Mumbai
The Flight Deal | United – $697: Chicago – Mumbai, India. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
$798 to Bangkok
The Flight Deal | United – $798: Chicago – Bangkok, Thailand. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
$544 to Taipei
The Flight Deal | [FARE GONE] Delta – $544: Chicago – Taipei, Taiwan. Roundtrip, including all Taxes

I also know there was $480 to Hong Kong a couple weeks ago cause I considered buying it. Ended up doing $410 for ATL-HKG instead.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:46 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Just to give examples...one site I like is theflightdeal. Like I said, about one cheap fare to europe from Chicago each week. Also giving some asia examples just fyi.

Europe:
$463 to Milan
The Flight Deal | [FARE GONE] Alitalia $463: Chicago / Washington D.C. / Houston Milan, Italy. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
$549 to Dublin
The Flight Deal | [SUMMER EUROPE FARE] United $508 $563: New York / Philadelphia / Chicago / Los Angeles Dublin, Ireland. Roundtrip, including all Taxes

Asia:
$697 to Mumbai
The Flight Deal | United $697: Chicago Mumbai, India. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
$798 to Bangkok
The Flight Deal | United $798: Chicago Bangkok, Thailand. Roundtrip, including all Taxes
$544 to Taipei
The Flight Deal | [FARE GONE] Delta $544: Chicago Taipei, Taiwan. Roundtrip, including all Taxes

I also know there was $480 to Hong Kong a couple weeks ago cause I considered buying it. Ended up doing $410 for ATL-HKG instead.
Thank you. I had seen that Milan deal on flyer talk after the fact. I would have grabbed that. I'm looking to go to Spain in the fall and I'd take any cheap ticket into Europe that gets me close enough there honestly. I'll keep my eyes open on this site as well.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:16 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,311,621 times
Two other places to look for deals, with contributors who really know their stuff -

Mileage Run Deals - FlyerTalk Forums
Premium Fare Deals - FlyerTalk Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or