U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 05:11 PM

2,465 posts, read 4,979,502 times

Advertisements

I am looking for guidance from folks who vacationed in Peru recently or people who are actually from Peru.

This summer I am taking my family to Peru (2 kids & 4 adults) and we took the route to have an agency help us organize this vacation. For 8-Days/7-Nights we got a pretty significant quote ($14,700) without any breakdown. + $5000 on air tickets from Houston to Peru. See attached itinerary.

Is this way overpriced, reasonable? Should I take the do it all myself route given safety considerations or other considerations? Any ideas?

I really appreciate the guidance and opinions
Attached Thumbnails
Peru Vacation Guidance-peru.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 05:18 PM

38,141 posts, read 55,948,225 times
Yes, I think your vacation is overpriced. Except you want everything luxurious.
The price depends where you go and what you want to see. How old are the kids?
Here a week long trips cost about $1700 per person. Including air
http://goo.gl/XK55cl

I would recommend to use this website and customize your trip without the help of an agency.
If you need any help, they have great customer service. I used this website several times.
http://www.tripmasters.com/TopDeals.aspx?site=ld
http://www.tripmasters.com/latin/Peru_Vacations.aspx
you can customize every of their deals too...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 04-12-2016 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 PM

Thanks as always Elnina :-) Kids are 10 and 9. I don't mind paying for luxury but not having a breakdown on cost makes me uncomfortable. Is like flying blind in terms of cost

Old 04-12-2016, 06:02 PM

Try the ^^^ website. It's really great. Play with the features. You will get multiple choices with description. You can click to see the details. Customize the deals, or go to "Home" and click on "Build Your Own Itinerary"
When you have all set up, call the customer service to walk through it, and get final OK that all is perfectly aligned.
I never had any problems with them. The prices are amazing.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-12-2016, 06:30 PM

Awesome and will do Thanks again

Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 PM

If you want to save even more, you can set up the whole trip, then contact every place and book with them directly. E.g. when you decide on hotels, you can call them and book directly. Same with airlines, car rentals etc.
It's more hassle, but in most cases, if you don't mind - it might save you more money. Just make sure to get email confirmation for every reservation/purchase.
If you don't want to deal with that, just book everything on this website. At the end you will get an email with detailed itinerary. Even so, I bet, you can set up everything to your liking for much less than with the agency.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 AM

5,997 posts, read 2,917,428 times
Peru gets lots of tourists so has a pretty solid transportation infrastructure set up for comfy buses from city to city. Granted you'll be flying/boating for places in the Amazon like Iquitos but if you're mainly interested in the usual gringo trail of Lima -> Pisco -> Huacacina -> Nazca -> Arequipa -> Lake Titicaca -> Cusco -> Machu Picchu you'll find it quite easy to handle booking both hotels and transportation on your own.

I've seen quite a few tourist families with young children on those night buses, I think the only leg I'd recommend a flight is Cusco back to Lima to go home.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or