Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:46 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
You could go to Nicaragua for an overnight trip, which is easy to do from Guanacaste. You could also fly to Bocas Del Toro in Panama.

That being said, there is so much to do in CR. You will never run out of things to do. You could go to the Sarapiqui region and go rafting, although it's very rustic. Fun and wildlife filled, but very basic accommodations.

If you want upscale, you could stay at the Peace Lodge/La Paz Waterfall gardens. It's very expensive, but lovely. It's centrally located for easy excursions and it's not too far to the airport.

Thanks so much, everyone -- you've given me lots of ideas!!! We are not into fancy, but I DO want a bed, running water, and electricity! LOL

Regarding Nicaragua, is it possible to drive a rental car across or is that not advisable (or not allowed)? What's in Bocas Del Toro in Panama? I'm just really intrigued by Panama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
It's totally fine driving across the border into Nicaragua in the far western corner. You can even take a day trip if you want easy. There's a lake and it's really great.

Bocas is a series of little islands. Very pretty and a bit hippyish.

Sarapiqui in CR is a hidden gem. Not too many people go there. We have stayed at the Selva Verde lodge and enjoyed it immensely. No AC in their river lodge rooms, but it's fine. You will have running water and toilets. It's just not a European/American style hotel.

I personally would stick with CR. There is just so much to do and see there.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:11 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Just got back from 5 days in Guanacaste on Saturday. We had planned 2 nights in Arenal and then just 3 in Guanacaste, but our flight was cancelled out of Houston on Monday (terrible weather) and we didn't leave until Tuesday, so we decided to just stay put in one area.

OP, when are you plan on taking this trip? I ask because when we were there last week it was very, very hot (temps upper 90's) and dry. I'm from Houston, so I know hot. This year has been particularly dry and there were a fair amount of grass fires burning.

In any event, our prior trips to CR have been Jan/Feb and much more comfortable, and I think we will try and stick with that time of year in the future, or even better, late Fall (when you have passed rainy season, but things are still greened up).

This is low season and not a great time to go, but for us, it was the only option.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:15 PM

9 posts, read 6,238 times
Yeah, I'd stay in Costa Rica too. There's just so much to do there. Head to any of the towns on the coasts, Mt. Arenal, etc.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:56 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
So many things to do ,, yeah, but the Ticos are somuch after your money it's obscene.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Just got back from 5 days in Guanacaste on Saturday. We had planned 2 nights in Arenal and then just 3 in Guanacaste, but our flight was cancelled out of Houston on Monday (terrible weather) and we didn't leave until Tuesday, so we decided to just stay put in one area.

OP, when are you plan on taking this trip? I ask because when we were there last week it was very, very hot (temps upper 90's) and dry. I'm from Houston, so I know hot. This year has been particularly dry and there were a fair amount of grass fires burning.

In any event, our prior trips to CR have been Jan/Feb and much more comfortable, and I think we will try and stick with that time of year in the future, or even better, late Fall (when you have passed rainy season, but things are still greened up).

This is low season and not a great time to go, but for us, it was the only option.

We are going mid-May. We are from Austin and native Texans, so we are accustomed to HOT, and we love it (much better than cool or cold for us)!

Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 AM

671 posts, read 854,146 times
NO need to visit another country. There are tons of things to do in CR. Check the hotels in a few places to make sure that you don't end up somewhere crappy.

But I think that it is a good idea to leave a few days free. The weather or a local nature phenomenon or anything else that happens during the trip may influence you. If you have a 4X4 and a good GPS that will also open up more possibilities.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
If you have a 4X4 and a good GPS that will also open up more possibilities.

We will have both. :-)

Old 04-27-2016, 07:54 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Avoid CR like the plague; go to Yucatan, it is safer than Central America .

Old 04-27-2016, 08:06 AM

455 posts, read 388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
If you had three unscheduled days in Costa Rica, what would you do? Would you consider a flight from San Jose to Panama City or somewhere else? Or, would you stay and explore Costa Rica more, hitting a different area or go back to already explored areas?

Background: surprise birthday trip for my husband....3 nights in Arenal Volcano/Rainforest area for jungle activities, 3 nights in Southern Guanacaste area for beach activities/diving, 1 night in San Jose...then I have 3 additional nights/days (Saturday, Sunday, Monday with our flight out of San Jose for Tuesday morning) with nothing booked. I left these days open so we could decide at that time where we wanted to go (since this is all a total surprise, with absolutely NO input from my husband!)...and we will have a rental car, if we decide to go elsewhere.

I've always wanted to see the Panama Canal so I thought about that, but I don't know that it would be a prudent use of our time.

Any input would be appreciated!
That seems like a lot of travel while traveling and only 3 nights in each spot seems a little rushed. I would probably add another night to each location and call it good (or something like that), maybe 3 nts Arenal, 5 nts beach and then 2 nts San jose and take a day trip to Sarchi. Have fun. We loved CR so much we booked another trip as soon as we got home, but we're doing less travel on the second trip, driving in CR is the pits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel