U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:56 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,277,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
We are going mid-May. We are from Austin and native Texans, so we are accustomed to HOT, and we love it (much better than cool or cold for us)!
Then you should be all set, LOL. People there told us Mid May seems to be about when the rainy season starts in earnest in Guanacaste. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 10:20 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,470,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Avoid CR like the plague; go to Yucatan, it is safer than Central America .

Been there, done that. We are always looking for new adventures, whether it's Central America, the Middle East, or the far East.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:30 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,481,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Avoid CR like the plague; go to Yucatan, it is safer than Central America .
Costa Rica is very safe. I've never had any issues there, and I've been about ten times. We always drive ourselves and even go into non touristy parts too. I'm a small white woman with only basic Spanish and I've never felt in danger. The only places you need to be wary are the bus stations near San Jose...pick pockets galore. Also the Caribbean side has some issues if you are a single female traveling alone.

I live in Houston and there's more crime here than in CR.

CR is the most middle class of Central America. They are very well educated and have access to good health care. The country is very clean too. It's the most clean country in Central America. People actually dispose of their waste properly there. Outside of San Jose, you won't see trash littering the roads or parks.

The Yucatan can be a very safe area, too. It can also be a hotbed of crime, depending on where you go. The actual city of Cancun, not the hotel zone, is very dangerous. We've been to Mexico many times too. Never had an issue there, either.

Last edited by Meyerland; 05-01-2016 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
That seems like a lot of travel while traveling and only 3 nights in each spot seems a little rushed. I would probably add another night to each location and call it good (or something like that), maybe 3 nts Arenal, 5 nts beach and then 2 nts San jose and take a day trip to Sarchi. Have fun. We loved CR so much we booked another trip as soon as we got home, but we're doing less travel on the second trip, driving in CR is the pits!
Yes, the driving is the pits. It's the only downside to CR. We think 6 miles is nothing, but with the condition of the roads and the terrain..6 miles there can take 30 minutes. Luckily the highways have been much improved. When we started going, there were few modern highways.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:46 AM

2,459 posts, read 2,101,901 times
We are also heading to Guanacaste in Mid May- although I have heard great things about all there is to see in CR we are quite in need of an all inclusive relaxation vacation so I think we will be staying put. I did inquire and it seems that there really isnt' much nearby for us. I guess our next trip will be traveling around.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:39 PM

Guanacaste has lots to do. There's a great safari place close by, that has zebras and giraffes you feed by hand. There is also a horseback riding place, that's a hotel/ranch. It's called Hacienda Guachipelin. The zip lines are nice in Guanacaste.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:01 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,470,545 times
Trip update!!! Costa Rica was amazing and we so enjoyed our time there!

We did ziplining, hot springs, hanging bridges, a night jungle walk in La Fortuna, as well as just roaming the town and enjoying the food, drinks, and locals. Then we went to Playa Carrillo and Playa Samara (LOVED Samara!) where we sea kayaked, snorkeled, and did a two-tank dive with Samara Diving. All was EXCELLENT, and we found delicious food throughout the little town.

Then, we decided to go back to La Fortuna where we did the waterfall rappelling and hiked down to the Fortuna waterfall. Both experiences were not to be missed!!!

While in San Jose, we explored a few city streets and Central Market, but it was just a big city that could have been any big city in the world, only in different languages.

The country was GREEN GREEN GREEN and lush, with drizzle occurring fairly regularly and rainstorms at night. There was no burning, no smoke (well, except when Turrialba erupted, then San Jose was covered in volcanic ash!), and the temperatures were beautiful. The amount of time it takes to travel anywhere was our only frustration...4-5 hours for 53 miles. LOL We drove a total of 1100 km over our almost two-weeks there. The roads were in excellent condition for the most part, and there wasn't anywhere we wanted to go that we couldn't go because of having a Hyundai Accent rental. A 4WD would have been fun, but definitely not necessary.

Thanks for all your suggestions......we really enjoyed our 12 days there!!

Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,277,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Trip update!!! Costa Rica was amazing and we so enjoyed our time there!

Thanks for updating us. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! We are going back to Guanacaste for Thanksgiving with our kids and my in-laws. If it were up to me, I would fly into San Jose this time and spend most of the trip in the Central Valley/La Fortuna/Arenal area, but I know the kids will like the property we are going to, and it will be much greener than it was when we were there in April.

And I agree that car travel can be frustratingly slow due to the terrain, low speed limits and (to a lesser extent) road conditions, but driving around is part of the fun

Old 05-27-2016, 07:20 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,154,728 times
Then avoid San Josť, it's ugly and it's a thief paradise. The surroundings of bus stations are dangerous. But bus traveling is the cheapest option. Morality : if you are on a budget, avoid CR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel