U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:52 AM

1,212 posts, read 713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My best friend went to Banff this past year, and the pictures look AMAZING! I would LOVE to go there one day!
Banff, Lake louse, Icefields Parkway to Jasper. Google it. We've been there at least 8 times since the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 AM

3,920 posts, read 4,665,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
An Alaskan cruise?

Hang on- you said you don't like cruises.

Bummer.
I actually did briefly consider an Alaskan cruise (even though we're not fans of cruising) - but the one I looked at would require an inbound flight to Seattle, and outbound from Alaska. Not cheap.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Where are you starting from? By "mid-2017" do you mean June - September, or are other times open? How long (min/max) would you be able to take? 8 days only?
The trip could be anywhere from April - September - it doesn't have to be around our anniversary date itself.

The longest we could go would be from a Friday night to the following Sunday (so eight days plus two travel days).

Old 04-15-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've got a couple of off the wall suggestions:

Cleveland. See the rock and roll Museum. Go to Akron to see the NFL Museum (I'm not a football fan, but even I had a good time). The downtown restaurant scene is booming. Take a boat ride on the lake. Go to the West Side Market.

(I've traveled extensively over Asia, Europe, the US, South and Central America and South Africa. I consider Cleveland to be the most UNDER rated city I've ever visited. I'm not kidding.)

Memphis. Go see Graceland (I'm not an Elvis fan, but I've been twice. I enjoyed it more the second time!) Go to the Peabody Hotel to see the Duck Walk. Eat some great bbq, listen to some great blues.

Vancouver IS lovely. But expensive.
I forgot to list Memphis on my original list - we did a trip a number of years ago to visit both Nashville and Memphis. We did go to Graceland, Peabody, and Rendevous for BBQ. We also went to the Memphis in May BBQ competition.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 AM

9,871 posts, read 5,060,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Unless that trip lasts a month or more, you're not gonna see much of what is on that list.
Depends on the theme and the region. You could do a trip of Diners from the show and never leave a particular city. That would kind of defeat the purpose, of course, but you get my point.

Same with oddities. My one state alone is FILLED with oddities. Enough to have a whole book written about them.

Civil war battlefields? They're fairly geographically concentrated.

It can absolutely be done in a limited amount of time. And because it would be cheap, they could possibly enjoy a longer trip.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 AM

15,115 posts, read 19,084,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I actually did briefly consider an Alaskan cruise (even though we're not fans of cruising) - but the one I looked at would require an inbound flight to Seattle, and outbound from Alaska. Not cheap.
Actually, if you book the fares through the cruise line, the one ways can be surprisingly cheap. I'd double check with the cruise line of your preference IF that is the ONLY thing stopping you.

PS - avoid July and August, go during shoulder season. BIG cost savings at little risk of bad weather.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:26 AM

Wanted to add several more locations we've been already that I thought of this morning:
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
Williamsburg, VA
Outer Banks, NC
Philadelphia, PA

Talked with my husband last night and he declared that he wants to avoid anywhere REALLY COLD - so Canada and Alaska are out.

I had the thought to do a driving tour in the Midwest. Fly to Chicago on a Friday and stay through Monday morning. On Monday morning drive to Cleveland (5 hours) and stay until Wednesday morning, then drive to Louisville, KY (5 hours) until Friday morning. On Friday morning, drive to Indianapolis, IN (2 hours) and stay through Sunday morning. Then on Sunday, drive back to Chicago (3 hours) and fly home that evening.

We don't mind driving, and the longer drives would be in the first half of the trip, and we'd be able to "hit the highlights" in each city, which I think would appeal to my husband since he gets bored very quickly. Granted, I wouldn't get my "day of rest" that I like, but I could always arrange to take an extra vacation day on the Monday after we get home to be my decompress day.

What do you folks think of that idea?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,100,013 times
What are your possible departure airports and what are you thinking in terms of a flight budget? Europe may not be out of the running depending on those factors.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:01 AM

We'd fly out of Charlotte, NC, which is our closest airport. Chicago and Dallas are both cities with super cheap airfare to/from Charlotte.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:29 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,100,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
We'd fly out of Charlotte, NC, which is our closest airport. Chicago and Dallas are both cities with super cheap airfare to/from Charlotte.
Depending on your budget you may have some options with airlines like WOW, Iceland Air, or Norwegian which can have cheap fares from the DC area. Right now you can go from Baltimore to Iceland for under $400 a person even after adding in some of their additional fees and doesn't include the possibility of one leg being $99 which is deal they regularly offer. If you don't mind no frills they are a good airlines to take.

There are sometimes great deals from New York but I'm not familiar with the costs of flights from Charlotte to NY. Also if you start to monitor fare deal sites later in the year you may be able to find a really great deal or a possible glitch fare to some fantastic places. We recently got one to go Lisbon for $190 r/t. They are rare but they happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel